GC no longer available in the states in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to the local Autozone (as far as I know the only place that carries it in the states) and I bought the last 7 quarts of the GC they had because it was on sale for $3.99 ea. Behind it was the "standard" 0w30 that has the yellow tags and the American spec. I asked the manager if they were discontinuing the German stuff because they were restocking it with the "standard" 0w30. He told me that he didn't know for sure but they are discontinuing a bunch of oil in the next week or so and he said that I should check back next week. Have any of you guys seen this at your local Autozone?

Paul

same deal here, nobody buys the 0w30 except me, and now all of it is yellow labled sludge.

Bah, i'm done chasing the green fairy anyways. I'll stick with mobil1, I know what i'm getting and I can buy it at any store.

That's too bad, the only reason I purchased it was to use in my wife's car. I have 16 bottles in my shed waiting to go. Maybe they will have the same formula in a US 0W/30.

I also purchased the last 7 quarts from my closest Autozone at 3.99 per. Luckily, there are 3 more in my town that I need to visit...

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Castrol does some Syntec re-marketing/rebadging to compete with Mobil 1's nifty new look/product line...those new bottles do look cool.

Probably discounting oil to move the rest f the SL badged oils off the shelves.

Ive found that the mix of yellow and red GC is very sporadic. Sometimes one, sometimes another.

My usual autozone no longer has the GC 0w-30. They opened one up about 5 miles away, and all they have is GC!

Neither has it on sale (no castrol on sale in DE, and I asked to be sure
frown.gif
)

JMH

I noticed the same thing here. The two Autozone stores that did have GC both have fresh bottles of the made in USA oil and no more GC. I've found one other store recently that does have some but only 10 or 12 quarts.

Someone opined in the beginning that GC might be a way for Castrol to dump old product in the US, product that was no longer being sold in other parts of the world.

Lets hope this isn't the case...

I apologize if this has already been covered, but what are the differences between GC Syntec 0w30 & USA made Syntec 0w30?

Does the US made stuff have the same spec's.(API, ACEA, etc.)?

I was just going to ask the same question. A 0w-30 must be a group 4 in order to make a 0w - correct? Does it matter US or German? It is still a 0w-30.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I was just going to ask the same question. A 0w-30 must be a group 4 in order to make a 0w - correct? Does it matter US or German? It is still a 0w-30.

You can make a 0W with group III. Look at the specs on the bottle. The made in US variety has substantially different and inferior ratings when compared to GC...

I stopped in to my local Autozone today with the intention of buying a long handled brush to wash the car and I stopped at the oil section to see the new Mobil oils. I noticed the Syntec was moved to a new location. They had Syntec 5w-20, 5w-30, 5w-40, 10w-30, 10w-40 and 5w-50 but no 0w-30. I then noticed a clearance rack and the 0w-30 was there for $1.00 a quart. I asked the manager if the price was correct. He said it was and added that all oils on the clearance rack would no longer be carried. There were 14 quarts of 0w-30 Syntec, all made in Germany and I bought them all to use in my 2004 Altima 2.5s. I forgot to get the brush.

I just got this:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

It is our belief that Castrol makes the finest lubricant and cleaner
products available today, therefore, we are very pleased to hear from
you. Your satisfaction with our product is very important to us and we
will be sure to forward your kind comments to our Marketing Department.

The North American Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 offers the same performance
as the German SYNTEC 0W-30. Performance attributes are clearly
demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals indicated for
each of our individual product offerings.

At this time there is no plan to discontinue production of either
product.

Thank you for your continuing patronage.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Sounds like a form letter to me. If the oils were the same why don't they export it to Germany. Or just save money and put it in the same bottles? Does not sound like they want to sell the product. Are we running a test on both to find out how similar the two 0W/30's are? If so, I'm in for a few more dollars.
cheers.gif

"Performance attributes are clearly
demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals indicated for
each of our individual product offerings.

At this time there is no plan to discontinue production of either
product."

Wait a minute. So they are now admitting that there are two different oils?

There was a red labeled 0w-30 that was made in the USA prior to GC. They still have quite a bit of this stuff at the AZ where I buy GC. It doesn't have the same specs listed on the back.

The yellow labeled 0w-30 is old stock. As of yet, I haven't seen any new (red label) "made in the USA" 0w-30 that meets the same specs as GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back