g'bye Rotella...hellooo GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the elves have finally drawn me in. I saw the red "0w30" label on the AZ shelves and the bottles seemed to jump into my shopping basket.
Seriously, I'll be using this stuff in my `03 VW Golf 2.0. The past 40k miles on it has seen Rotella 5w40 @ 5k OCIs. My plan is to run the GC for 6-7k and send in a sample for a UOA. My only concern is that 7k miles from now will take me well into the warmer Spring months. Is 0w30 a satisfactory weight for use in warmer weather?

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
the bottles seemed to jump into my shopping basket.

Brikhead,

I need to know the batch number. If I have heard the elves tell the bottles once, I've heard them tell them 1000 times, "March orderly into people's shopping baskets...never push, shove, run or jump." Well your bottles violated the rules so I must report them...will probably only result in a slap on the cap...

(Enjoy the Elixer.)
wink.gif

quote:

My only concern is that 7k miles from now will take me well into the warmer Spring months. Is 0w30 a satisfactory weight for use in warmer weather?

GC is at the thicker end of the 30 weight spectrum & seems to do well, regardless of temp. I think you'll love it.
 -

FWIW, I will be switching my VW GTI 1.8T from M1 to GC at my next oil change. I've got (2) OCIs worth of GC that can't wait to be poured in.
smile.gif
 -

[ February 19, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

My only concern is that 7k miles from now will take me well into the warmer Spring months. Is 0w30 a satisfactory weight for use in warmer weather?

GC is at the thicker end of the 30 weight spectrum & seems to do well, regardless of temp. I think you'll love it.
 -

FWIW, I will be switching my VW GTI 1.8T from M1 to GC at my next oil change. I've got (2) OCIs worth of GC that can't wait to be poured in.
smile.gif
 -

It's sooo beautiful...sniff, sniff

quote:

Originally posted by vwoom:
Notice even the M1 filter box has green...
grin.gif

Wayne, have you tried using an oversize filter in your 1.8T(to increase the oil cap)?

No. I feel the 4.8 qt. capacity is adequate, especially using synthetic oil & conservative OCI's.

Thanks for the input, folks. I already thought that some of you ran GC year 'round, but I just wanted to be reassured.

vwroom, Since the 1.8t & 2.0 share the same, small filter, I've often contemplated trying the larger filter (068115561B) on my 2.0. Have you heard of any 2.0 owners using the larger filter?

offtopic.gif
Well, I had read of some 2.0 folks over at Vortex that do run the 068 in their engines.

Some use the even larger Napa 1333/Wix 51333 aka Big Kahuna to increase the oil cap while others(incl me) wanted a German version of the "Big K" filter so we go for the Purolator L40316 aka Mann Hummel W950/4 or a Knecht Mahle OC105. Both has the same filter specs/fittings/anti drain back psi/bar along w/ the small oem 06A as well as the 068.

Also, one thing in common w/ all of these oversize filters mentioned above including the newly designated 068 is that all were originally intended for diesel engines(Volvos, VW/Audi..).

As long as you have ample clearance near the filter area to use an oversize filter and taking into account the identical fittings/specs of the oem 06A then your 2.0 will benefit...like its good to know you've got more green elixir running thru your engines "veins".
smile.gif

[ February 20, 2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Isn't GC being "phased out" of production? If so, you may want to stay with the Rotella so you don't get spoiled. FYI-I'm using Rotella T 5W40/Pure Ones in both of my wife's 2.0s with 5k changes.

Thanks for the oversized filter info. I was curious as to what fit the 2.0.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
Isn't GC being "phased out" of production? If so, you may want to stay with the Rotella so you don't get spoiled. FYI-I'm using Rotella T 5W40/Pure Ones in both of my wife's 2.0s with 5k changes.

Well, I did consider that prior to the purchase of the GC. If the GC dries up, I'll probably settle for Belgian Castrol 5w40 from my local dealer. I've already been using BC as top-up oil (while cursing Rotella for thier 1gal. bottle). I still believe that Rotella is an excellent value for the $$, but I lack confidence in it beyond 5k miles. My objective is to slowly increase my OCI while doing UOAs along the way. I figured GC would be a good place to start.

[ February 20, 2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
What's VW charging for that oil?

It used to be about $7 per qt. But since the 1.8t sludge problems, VWoA was nice enough to lower the msrp to $5 per qt.
I'm fortunate enough to have a local dealership that sells all of thier parts @ msrp. (hence, no "stealership" designation)

**** . That's quasi-steep if you're used to thrifty Rotella. I'll stick with the Rotella as it seems to work fine in her engines-no UOAs, just seat of the pants analysis.

Edit-is this BC syn or dino? I've never heard of it before.

[ February 20, 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: 99 ]

I look at it this way......both GC & BC cost about 40% more than Rotella. However, if either of the "exotic" Castrol products can be proven to perform as well for at least 40% longer, wouldn't the overall value be equal or possibly greater? Granted, I've never performed a UOA while using the Rotella. It may be more than capable of going beyond 5k. But I will feel more secure using a VW approved product while extending the OCI w/UOAs.

I think Belgian-made Castrol Syntec is a group III product, like Rotella. It has a very unusual add. pack though.

[ February 20, 2005, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

The Pennzoil Platinum oil coming in March might prove to be a great oil for these applications also. The 5W-30 Euro-Ultra and 5W-40 Euro are VW 502 rated, although only the 5W-40 shows A3 rating.

FWIW, some AZ's now sell BC 5w40. $4.99/qt. at all 3 AZ's in N. AL. where I found it last week.

Don't give the stealerships any more money than you must.

I would run Rotella Syn longer than BC...and HAVE! BC is BS, an antiquated formula made for BMW from 1998. This magnesium-laden oil is nothing more than a garden-variety A3 like Synpower 5w-40. For long ocis, save your money and buy some Delo, it meets (met) A3 and so does (did) DuraBlend 10w-40. Mobil 1 SUV is the money 5w-40.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back