German Castrol users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised to find the GC 0w-30 at my local AutoZone and then went out and bought 52 Quarts between five stores.

I stumbled on some 5w-40 Syntec made in Belgium. Then I thought that maybe I should use the 5w-40?

I will be running the 0w-30 in my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, do you think It will hold up in this oil beater? My manual calls for Full-Synthetic 10w-30.

Castrol Europe website states that the 0w-30 is good up to 40/Deg C. Temperatures.

I'm most likely going with GC in a Honda 2.4. I also noticed BC 5w-40 at AZ for the first time.

Zmeli, the old batch M02 usually has high Fe..but there should be no probs to use. I also happen to have 4qts of this old batch.

So how much is GC going for up there..is the $1 clearance still on in Victorville?

Good choice with the German Castrol...I'll be running it in my Subaru WRX STi as soon as I make the switch over to synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by zmeli:
I paid $5.19 a QT in Victorville.

That is the current price here, but occasional sales put it at $3.99. That's when I stock ahead. At any rate this oil should work well for your application.
grin.gif
I'd take it over the 5W-40 for this one. Good choice.

HOLY CRAP 52 quarts! my girlfriend lives up there in victorville and I bought 7 quarts for my BMW. (it has a 6.9 Q sump) There was also a whole row of at least 20 bottles of GC. I went up there 2 months later for my next oil change and they were completely gone except 2 bottles of the american crap. So you're the one....
frown.gif

I was told that AZ will get a shipment today. I will check after work and see if
they re-stock with the GC. I am still wondering if the 05 batch will ever show up?

I just picked up 12 more quarts of GC, batch M04xxx last night, picking up 12 more this Saturday when AZ gets their next shipment.

I currently have 42 quarts in the basement, by this Sat. it should be 54.

I plan on picking up 2-4 more cases each week until from my local AZ until I see the 05 stuff. At that point there's a AZ out in the sticks that I know has a bunch of it but it's M02 or M03.

I wonder how well GC kept engines clean? Castrol products have been known for leaving quite a few deposits/sludge behind in some of the more severe engine tests. This mainly applied to the old U.S. Syntec.

It's interesting how this oil was praised so much, but yet very few conclusions could ever be drawn just from the $25 UOA's we would see. Wear control was very good with this oil but I don't know about engine cleanliness. Doesn't matter much now as this oil has faded from it's glory.

Seven years . . . that's about the oldest thread revival I ever recall seeing.

I still run GC. In the one it's ran in since brand new, after 6+ years, you can still eat off the valve train. No complaints here.

Still a very good oil where it fits, and I've still got a good bit of it on the shelf.

Eleven years next month and 160k miles. On a known sludger !!
Last TB (10k mi ago) showed a pristine valvetrain and a clean valve cover. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back