2004 Saturn Vue w/ Honda Odyssey 5-speed trans, factory fill, 27K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5L V6 teamed with the Honda 5-speed Auto trans, same as the Honda Odyssey. Drained and replaced 4+ quarts of the ATF-Z1 fluid purchased directly from the Saturn dealer to avoid warranty issues.

Given Honda's track record for durability in this transmission, I'm a bit overboard in wanting to change this fluid often as I plan on keeping this vehicle for 200K+ miles.

Local dealer is going with the 100K trans fluid change. The only other option is the 50K "severe service" schedule. They're going by the book, which is good, as they won't sell you a trans service until you hit 100K. I like the fact they don't push repairs that aren't by the book! In fact, I had to special order this trans fluid as none of the Vue's they've sold (and they've sold a LOT of them) have requested a trans fluid change. Obviously the dealer isn't pushing this item if they don't stock the fluid.

I'm glad I got rid of the fluid when I did. I'll be draining it every 10K-15K from now on. It's so easy to drain & replace...

-

Hi,

Does your Vue have a Dipstick and fill tube?

My Dads does not. (05 AWD)

Just wondering...

Thx, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

No fill tube, just the 17mm bolt on the top of the trans with a long funnel.

After some searching, I found the dipstick. The owner's manual is WRONG. There is no dipstick in the middle/rear of the engine compartment. It's at the very front of the trans buried about 18" lower than the top of the radiator shroud and it's a BLACK colored loop handle, not yellow like the owner's manual states.

offtopic.gif

ToyotaNSaturn,
Your BITOG inbox is full.
smile.gif

BTW, your VUE is a FWD right? I can't imagine why you'd need AWD in TN.
wink.gif

Michael

I was comparing your factory fill to my 4 speed automatic from an '02 Accord. Your iron is almost double. Granted mine was changed at 21,948 but your sample is only 5k more miles. I'm glad to see that you will be doing another drain & refill by 35k miles. I guess driving style can affect this as well. Overall, it doesn't look too bad to my uneducated eyes.

BTW, Honda sells the fluid for $4/qt around here so you might save some money buying it from the Honda dealership. I don't see how you would have warranty issues, but it's your ride.

Except for the Boron, not much anti-wear additive. In my view, iron is high for this many miles.

I would change out every 20,000 miles.

You might consider our MTFGlide which has the same viscosity but better AW capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back