Honda Manual Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
so bror, i would have no worries as to changing this fluid in spring over to redline mtl, and it will be fully safe considering it is the same viscosity as the honda mtf?

It will be safe to use Redline MTL. I used it in my Prelude and my friends used it in their honda's with no problems. I am using honda MTF right now in my Integra. Either way you go, it will be okay. Let us know if you notice any improvements!!

If I owned a Honda right now, I'd use Red Line MTL ... or if I thought the tranny required a thicker fluid, I'd use some/all MT-90.

As it is, I'm going to be using a 80/20 mixture of MT-90/MTL in my Nissan Spec-V's 6-speed which calls for a 75W85 gear oil.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hey Bror, just curious, why do you prefer Redline? Do you think it will have better performance??

[ October 24, 2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: HondaRD ]

In my 1990 Integra, there was a VAST difference in the quality of the shifting in cold weather over anything else I tried. I also noticed an improvement in the shifting of my '95 Civic when I dumped the factory fill.

I can't say, however, that I've compared Honda MTF and Red Line MTL directly.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hondaguy, even though I use the Honda MTF in my Integra, Redline is an excellent choice. I have yet to meet anyone in the Honda/Acura crowd that has complained about it's performance. -Joe

Joee12: "I have yet to meet anyone in the Honda/Acura crowd that has complained about (Red Line's) performance."

A couple years ago I would have completely agreed with you ... but in the last 2 years I've heard some people (Honda owners) blame Red Line Oil for shifting problems with their cars. A key member of the North Texas Prelude Owners Group is a good example. "Mista Bone" is another Honda guru highly mistrustful of Red Line gearbox fluids.

However it is my opinion that most or all of these people are damaging their gearboxes through driving style (many are admitted autocrossers).

Based on my experiences, the stuff is fantastic for gearboxes ... especially in the extreme cold.

That's a problem with Red Line products. Their consumers are much harder on machinery than average. You have to keep that in mind when hearing owners relate their experiences.

Still, I wanted to throw that out there.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Excellent point Bror, I could not agree with you more. It's like the guy across the street with a Z28. He dogs the pi$$ out of the car, spinning tires, drag racing, power-braking and driving like a bat out of he11 . He has replaced his transmission, brakes, tires, and rear end gears. All he talks about is how his Z28 is a piece of junk because he has replaced all of those items within 60,000 miles. He doesn't realize that it is his abuse of the car that tears the car up, not the car itself. Go figure, Joe

[ October 26, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

I someone hasn't mentioned this:

GM Syncromesh MTL works VERY well in Honda manual transmissions.

Especially those found in accords and preludes.

Gerhard

Just to update, I checked both viscosities, it seems honda mtf is a bit thicker(if you even consider 11.26 to 11.2 that much thicker), but it lacks the higher zinc and phosphorus that redline has. Now, I know the price differences between each are going to be about a 3 dollar difference, but iyo, what mtf would you pick for your honda tranny at almost 20000 miles?

I would go with Honda MTF, but that is my opinion. I used both and cannot tell a difference. I change it out every 30K miles and never had a problem. I think either way you go you will be fine, but if the price difference is large, go with the cheaper stuff. I paid ~$4 per bottle from the dealership for Honda MTF, there is no way I would pay ~$7 per quart for Redline.

"I would go with Honda MTF, but that is my opinion. I used both and cannot tell a difference."

Probably because you aren't where it gets super cold. That's where you feel the biggest difference ... sub-freezing temps.

"I change it out every 30K miles and never had a problem. I think either way you go you will be fine, but if the price difference is large, go with the cheaper stuff. I paid ~$4 per bottle from the dealership for Honda MTF, there is no way I would pay ~$7 per quart for Red Line."

The price difference is insignificant. You only need around 2 quarts for most Honda trannies and if you leave it in for 2 years or 30,000 miles, the price difference is $3 per year.

--- Bror Jace

Hi guys, thanks for the good info, but I was wondering, Why can't you run good ol 75w90 synthetic gear oil in there? Low temp isn't a problem for me...I'm over 100F most of the time down here anyway. Opinions?

Thanks,
r.

BTW What COLOR is Honda MTF? Just drained my Honda del sol, and I noticed it looked like normal oil, just added Redline MT90, let everyone know how it goes later.

"The chemical "signature" and viscosity is extremely close to this Honda MTF fluid."

But Tedster, what about the coefficient of friction? Wouldn't the Amsoil be too slippery for proper synchro engagement? I know I found Mobil 1 to be unsuitable.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

Good afternoon,
I've used RedLine MTL in our Hondas for a number of years now, as Bror Jace mentioned. I'll leave it in there for about 35-40k miles before changing it out. Mostly in the cold weather performance do I notice a difference between regular old 10w30 and the MTL.

Additionally, I have RedLine MT-90 in the 1970 Land Rover's tranny and transfer case. Sub-zero shifting is quite easy.

Bogatyr

Yeah I'll second that vote for Redline MTL, I filled my '94 Civic gearbox with it back in '95. My cousin has that car now and I drove it last month.

WOW! The thing still shifts smooth as butter.

Joee,

I think this is your UOA, correct? Well, I think it is safe to say that Honda MTF may not be the best choice of fluids to use in our trannies. This oil sheared HALF its weight in only 20K miles!
shocked.gif
spaz.gif

Here is the topic I found it at: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001199

quote:

Honda MTF
1996 Acura Integra LS 1.8DOHC
82093 Miles on Vehicle
21650 Miles on fluid

VOA/UOA both by ANA
Titanium -0/0
Silver - 0/0
Copper - 0/4
Lead - 0/12
Tin - 0/8
Aluminum - 0/8