Send in Coolant for Na/K Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to build a database of sodium and potassium values in the various coolants available. This data should prove to be very useful in helping to diagnose coolant leaks.

The data will be posted as a sticky in the Used Oil Analysis-Gas Engines forum.

The coolant must be virgin and undiluted as it comes from the jug. I only need a few drops to do the analysis, so what is left in the bottom of a jug should be adequate.

If you are willing to send in a sample, post what you have in this thread. I'll PM the people that have new coolant types to get their mailing address and will send out a postage paid collection kit.

Ed

Zerex G-05 and John Deere Heavy Duty Concentrate TY16034, this has the SCA from the factory. I also have the Motorcraft FW-16 SCA additive.

smile.gif

Oops, I forgot to add that there is no cost for the analysis.

You can expect that customer service may reflect what you are paying.
wink.gif

Ed

[ October 13, 2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: edhackett ]

Is it easy to test for boron as well?

I'd like to add something like rubidium or cesium to my coolant, as a tracer, in case the oil already has sodium or potassium as an additive.

oilyriser: If a lab is using ICP-OES (optical emission) or a rotary spark spectrometer, yes boron would be easy to test for.

We don't use that technique here. Our lab is optimized for the lowest detection limits possible. We use Atomic Absorbtion, X-Ray Flouresence, and ICP-Mass Spectometry for metals analysis. We run soluble Na and K by Atomic Absorbtion, as it is easier to control the ionization of the Na and K, giving us better detection limits vs. a plasma based analysis. (I have to dilute the coolant 1:10,000 to bring it into range.) I am not set up to run B on the AA.

Our ICP-MS works great for B. It can quantify Rb down to the low PPT range and the higher mass elements in the high PPQ range, but that instrument is reserved for extremely clean samples. Coolant and oil don't qualify.

Ed

Benjamming, your samples arrived just after I ran the last batch. I may be a couple of weeks before It run Na and K again. I'll PM the results to you as soon as they are done.

Hey, the rest of you get off your bottoms and send in some samples. Sheesh, 10,000 members and only 4 responses.
confused.gif

Ed

[ November 17, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: edhackett ]

shanneba, send me a private message with the address to which you would like to have the sample kit sent.

You don't have PM enabled on your account.

Ed

Yes, I can run it. Samples that are 100%, ready to use 50/50, or have been diluted carefully to 50/50 with distilled water are all OK. If people have factory fills in cars with longlife antifreeze, I will analyze that too.

The offer: I will analyze coolant samples for Na and K to build a database to help diagnose coolant leaks when doing UOAs. Post what you have here or PM me with what type(s) you have. I'll send you a postage paid sample kit. There is no charge for the analysis.

Ed

I have the following:

prestone HD diesel coolant that's purple and has dca 2

standard prestone green

Fleet guard low silicate ethylene glycol with dca 4 50/50
premix

Ford motorcraft premium gold coolant.

Ford motorcraft green low silicate coolant

and the coolant additives VCA-8 also fw16 same thing

PM with the ones you want and how you would like them shipped and handled. And most importantly where too.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
This is great! I really would like to know the sodium and potassium in Ford motorcraft premium gold coolant.

This thread is 4 years old.
Not sure the db ever happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back