2002 Honda Accord V6 Factory fill 32,800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, a thank you to Mark for his offer on a free level 1 coolant analysis. This seems to be very helpful.

I was glad to see the coolant in such good shape. I had planned on draining this at 45k miles, but I believe I will wait until 60k miles now. What do you think?

-

Honda Dealership coolant.

Honda Coolant has sebecate and no silicates, and that makes it much different from ordinary green stuff. If you use a silicated coolant in a Honda, you will get water pump leaks.

I've been using PEAK Global EL in my wifes Accord for over 40K with no issues. I believe that it doesn't contain silicates or phosphates.

Originally Posted By: 4esorselrahc
I wonder if the Honda formulation reduces the likelyhood for scale build up in the coolant system?

Best thing for preventing scale buildup is to use distilled water rather than tap water when mixing your coolant.

Probably, since Dipotassium Phosphate is found as an additive in coolants that contain phosphate.

Honda requires phosphate in their coolants.

Second the distilled water comment. Just did a flush on my civic when i changed the Timing Belt. First time coolant's been changed and it came out without any visible scale.

+1 for honda coolant and distilled H2O. Tap water has ca+ and Mg+ et al added to it to improve the taste. If you've ever tasted distilled water, you know it isn't bad, but tastes... different. Your car likes that taste :)

I have a bottle of Honda type2 coolant in the garage... all it says for ingredients are Water, ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol. It may have phosphates in it that are not listed in the ingredients bar, though.

They are not going to give the customers their trade secrets, trust me. I change out the coolant on my Accords when I do the timing belt replacement, along with a new water pump at the dealership and have them refill with new Honda coolant. I must say, the 02 water pump looked almost brand spanking new after 105K. I was really surprised and gave me confidence knowing this coolant can easily make 100K plus. Especially during these super hot months we have in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
60k is good. The Honda dealer replaces coolant as part of the 105k timing belt replacement.

The honda/acura Type 2 coolant contains De-ionized water and is prediluted. It states that it is a non silicate/borate coolant.
It is rated to last 60K or 5 years. I change mine out at 30K just to be safe.

I had some idiot mechanic tell my mom that this coolant needs to be mixed with water
mad.gif
We all make mistakes but this guy chose to argue with me ( telling me of all things green coolant was good to use in Honda/Acura engines) and went on to tell me that most all coolants are not prediluted,up until the point I pulled out some Type two and Toyota Super long life coolant which clearly and boldly states "DO NOT ADD WATER". With which he had no response.
LOL.gif

Contains: Water,Ethylene glycol,Diethylene glycol,Hydrated inorganic acid,Organic acid salts.

I just changed my civic with the honda coolent.. I bought two gallons but it didnt even take a whole gallon so i returned the other one.... I plan on changing it every 30,000 miles along withe the trans,brake,clutch and power steering fluid

I finally uploaded correctly after the last bump. Sorry about that. I've not done another coolant UOA but continued a drain & refill (4 qts through radiator + 1 qt with block drain) every 30k miles. The car now has 133k miles. I've used Honda Type II coolant every time.
2002AccordFactoryfillcoolant32800OC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back