What's the deal with Goodyear tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had 4-5 sets of Goodyear tires on my various vehicles (most were OEM tires) and this is what I've experienced:

With every single set, one or more of the tires has developed a "thumping" sound that gets worse with mileage.

Every set has been extremely noisey, which also gets worse with mileage.

Every set has had very poor traction and handling characteristics on anything except dry roads, and all have been all-season tires.

All the tires they have been replaced by (Bridgestones, Yokahamas, Kumhos) have been far superior tires in every way.

This may be only my opinion, but I can't understand how Goodyear's racing tires can be so dam good, while their passenger car tires are so lousy. How are they dropping the ball between the two? Has anyone experienced any of this with Goodyear tires? Maybe it's just their OEM tires that suck? Who knows?

The Goodyear RT/S and AT/S I've had on my Jeep Cherokee were acceptable in just about every aspect but the GS/A's on my TJ were a POS!I fargen love the Michelin LTX M/S on my TJ now and the B.F Goodrich AT/ KO'S are a great tire also,but B.F.Goodrich Long Trails aren't the greatest.IMO some tires are good and some blow from the same company it just depends what you buy...shop informed!

I think it's a little more than coincidence that every set of Goodyer tires I've had has sucked harder than a Hoover, but every other brand of tires I've had have been great.

I'll never fool around with Goodyear again. They're WAY overrated and overpriced IMO. I've had balancing problems with just about every GY tire I've ever owned.

However, the Viva 2 seems to be a good tire for the money.

It depends on the actual tire, IMO. I am VERY pleased with their top of the line Eagle F1 DS G3 and have had VERY good luck with their Eagle RSA's. I have had the Aquatred 3's and Regatta 2's and was very happy. I was very disappointed with their Eagle GA's (dangerous in rain) and their Eagle HP's (one tire developed a large split on the inside sidewall that I only saw when inspecting brakes one time).

I really have never used another tire mfg besides Goodyear. (OEM Firestones on both my Toyota's were both just Ok though). I tried Dunlop one time and had them replaced with the F1's because of unsatisfactory vibrations at speed.

I am going to give Dunlop another chance...just one more.

I know that Goodyear and Dunlop are connected, as are Bridgestone and Firestone. So many of the tire manufacturers own different "names" but the tires produced by each name can vary a lot in quality/performance.

Goodyear and Michelin are overrated in the tire industry. Both have some great tires, Eagle F1 DS G3, Pilot Sports. The rest of their lines are just OK or ****. The F1 DS G3 was developed by Dunlop, Goodyear just put their name on the tire after they bought Dunlop.

quote:

Originally posted by wantin150:
I know that Goodyear and Dunlop are connected, as are Bridgestone and Firestone. So many of the tire manufacturers own different "names" but the tires produced by each name can vary a lot in quality/performance.

There is a very economical Dunlop tire offering, the SP Sport 01, that is very, very good. It is offered in a limited range of sizes on the left side of the Atlantic Ocean, but, in just about every size it is available, it has an unbeatable performance-to-price ratio.

I second the plug for the Viva 2's. I had them put on my minivan and I have no complaints at all. Bought them at Wally world- price was right too.

i cant recall ever having actual bad expierence with goodyear, dunlop, or any tyre brand besides general, cooper, rocky mountain, fate-o, and other junky brands.

seems like all the name brand tyre companys work great for me.

OEM spec Goodyear are HORRIBLE!!! Aftermarket they make so many grades it's hard to pick the good ones. And it's not allways their most expensive lines tht are best! Must say their car lines are, for the most part much better than pickup/light truck.

Sold Kelly Springfield and Kelly clones for years (Most built in Goodyear plants) defects and roadhazzard claims steadily rose as quality dropped. Now sell Cooper and Cooper clone,"Dean" tires. Often go WEEKS without a warranty claim and volume is up over Kelly sales.

Bob

Have a set of OEM GY RSAs now on my Vibe. They've been just OK for 25k miles. Noisy as all get out. Dry traction and handling are fine, but once the asphalt gets wet fugetaboutit -- they're practically useless. Treadlife isn't that great either -- I'll feel lucky if they last another 10k miles, but will probably succumb and replace them before that.
rolleyes.gif

Put a set of Dunlop SP40s as the last set on my last ride. Wouldn't wish that junk on anybody.
crushedcar.gif
No more Dunlop for me unless they're for a bike.

Loved the GY Eagle GA's that came on my 92 Grand Am GT. Loved getting rid of the Goodyears that came on my 02 Cavalier. They thumped so bad, I though the rotors were warped.

Limited selection of 205-55-16's especially locally. Still, I am happy with the American made Kelly Navagators for $80 installed. Why they don't put their own name on their better tires? Even if they did, I would never by a tire from the local Goodyear stealer.

I have fallen in love with the tires I currently have on my vehicles. On our MPV I have a set of Yokahama Avid Tourings and I have Kumho 795 A/S's on both my Corolla and my Daughter's Tercel. Both are very nice tires and are far superior on any road condition to any set of Goodyears I've ever had.

I use Goodyear triple treads on my car and love them! They are the best tire i have ever had. They are quiet and wear great as well. The rain traction is outstanding. We had a heavy downpour a few weeks ago. Most cars where going about 40 in a 65mph highway. I could go 65-70 with no problems.

I am also on a dirt track racing team. We have two different brands of tires. Each track has a different tire rule. A few use Hoosier racing tires and the others use Goodyear. We race 2 nights a week on Hoosier and 1 night a week on Goodyear. So far we have spent over $6,000 on Hoosier tires alone because they don't last long and leak air. A few heat cycles and they lose all traction.

The Goodyears are a whole other story. We have only had to buy 2 sets of Goodyears this whole year. At $120 a peice that's only $960. It really wasn't because of wear either it was because of flat tires. Which happens alot in racing with any brand of tire due to the bumping and banging which causes the sheetmetal to rub the tire.

Not only that the customer service is great with Goodyear as well. Every weekend there is a Goodyear engineer at the race track asking drivers how they can improve the tires. In my 12 years in racing i haven't seen anyone from Hoosier once at any track. Not even a salesman!

Wow that got long i will shut up now.
tongue.gif

I burned the Goodyear RS-A's off my Mazda3 in about 30K miles. They were nothing special and useless in snow, but I had no problems with them. The same tires, though a different size and speed rating, on my mother's Sunfire GT are 4 years and 50K miles old and they've been good, with no significant tread wear. They're useless in snow, but that's why we have snow tires. I've never bought Goodyears because they seem very overpriced.

The vast majority of goodyear tires are junk and are outperformed by many other brands for the money. I burned my Goodyear GAs off my camaro in 12000 miles, replaced with a set of Yokohama ES100s I loved that lasted 20,000, and now I'm running a winter set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s (awesome in the snow and ice, H rated too!) and Avon M550s for summer/wet/dry that I love.

Im not fond of the wear of most OE choice goodyears. The traction is usually good until half worn out on any of their line, and they are expensive to replace. There are so many good tires to choose from, it's a real shame they run such ****** tires from factory on most cars sold in the US.

Goodyear truck and suv tires:

OEM = mostly garbage with rare exceptions; replacements are often unexplainably expensive

Aftermarket low and moderate price = acceptable, but not anything special. I wouldn't consider them over any other tire all things being equal

Aftermarket high end = impressive quality, ride, and wear. Prices just north of offensive

RKBA wrote:

Aftermarket low and moderate price = acceptable, but not anything special. I wouldn't consider them over any other tire all things being equal [/QB][/QUOTE]

There's been plenty of testimonies differing from that opinion not only in this forum, but in others as well. I have low priced tires right now on all 3 of our vehicles that perform every bit as well, if not better than the high priced tires. As much as I believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for," aparently that is more of the exception than the rule when it comes to tires. With a lot of these high dollar tires today, you're mostly paying for the name. I'll take a Kumho or a Yokahama any day over a Michelin or a Goodyear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back