Just in case you ever wanted to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirelli came out with a 30" tire for certain "specialty" vehicles. I searched this tire (315-30-30 I believe) at Tire Rack and found that a set of 4, shipped to, say, SC would cost you in the neighborhood of $8545. Wow! And you guys (me too) complain about dropping $100 on a tire!

Great -- I'm sure we'll be seeing them on H2s very soon. Those will look awesome (NOT!). This is getting crazy. I've seen either 26" or 28" on an H2. Talk about ridiculous.

yeah, I saw that in a mag or something.
both my cars run 24" tall TIRES so I just laugh, shake my head, pray that the world comes to it's senses, etc...

Here is the link to the site for those interested in what it looks like:

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyr...jhtml?s1=4400002&s2=5700003&s3=30700002&s4=-1

I seriously doubt these things are ever really meant to be driven on. 18's are quite big enough. There are a few people out there like myself that research replacement costs for some things before they even buy a car. This would definitely turn me in the other direction.

Sore point. the larger, more expensive tires aren't any bigger, just have bigger holes in them. The 205-70-R13's on my Phoenix were as big on the outside as the 205-55-R16's on my Cavalier. As big of a rip off as the cartridge filter elements where you pay more for no can, baseplate, or ADBV.

How about S rated tires on cars that likely won't hit 100 MPH?

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
The trend toward ever larger tires is nothing but a fad.

Not necessarily. Sure, some of it is for the looks, but some of it is dicated by bigger brakes required on todays larger and heavier cars. There has been an ongoing trend of cars getting heavier and heavier as more safety and electronics equipment is being added, and the cars themselves grow in size. To be able to quickly stop such a mass without brake fade, you can't have some puny little brakes.

That 30" tire from Pirelli example is a stretch (no pun intended), of course.

There are other ways to get there.

I don't think Formula 1 cars have 17" wheels, IIRC.

If they were the ultimate in performance, wouldn't we see them there?

F1 is not a good example. The FIA rules limit rim sizes to 13 inches mainly to keep brakes as small as possible. If the FIA allowed larger rims, even if the disk sizes were limited, somebody would find a gray area and cars would be pulling 8g stops instead of 5-5.5g.

The trend toward ever larger tires is nothing but a fad. They aren't worth the money. The increase in cost just by adding only an inch is considerable. Not too long ago, full size pickups came standard with 15" tires and everybody did just fine with them, even when off-road. Now a lot of cars not meant to even go off-road come with 17, 18, and larger inch tires. Its ridiculous.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
....I don't think Formula 1 cars have 17" wheels, IIRC.

If they were the ultimate in performance, wouldn't we see them there?

Not if they were restricted by the rules - which they are. That's also why NASCAR uses carbs!!

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
The trend toward ever larger tires is nothing but a fad.

Not necessarily. Sure, some of it is for the looks, but some of it is dicated by bigger brakes required on todays larger and heavier cars. There has been an ongoing trend of cars getting heavier and heavier as more safety and electronics equipment is being added, and the cars themselves grow in size. To be able to quickly stop such a mass without brake fade, you can't have some puny little brakes.

That 30" tire from Pirelli example is a stretch (no pun intended), of course.

Today's cars are no heavier than the cars made in the 60's to 80's. If anything, they are lighter.

In addition, you can put bigger brakes on a 15" or 16" tire than the car came stock from the factory with.

You can, if you want, get awesome stopping power with 15" tires, given the proper brakes. There is NO reason why you need 17" to 22" tires to get good braking.

In the 60's to 80's, and before that, the frames, engines, body, bumpers, and other parts, of the typical car were heavier than today, yet they typically ran 15" tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back