balance tires with valve cap on or off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make a difference if tires are balanced with the valve caps off? Someone told me that if the tires are balanced with the caps off, the balance will change when one puts them on. I don't see how this would affect the balance as it would be so small.

When I'm talking valve caps I'm referring to the chrome looking ones by Milton, or ones that are similiar in style. These weigh more than the standard black plastic cap.

you want to balance the way you want them to be, eg caps on.

But I would not pay for rebalancing if you just got these caps.

But if you have a free lifetime balance/rotate plan, get them rebalanced next time you go in.

Sadly the tech's precision matters more than the weight of these caps.

Ooops. Yeah, you could read my statement a couple different ways I guess; I wasn't trying to imply that you were "simple" minded because the answer to your question was an easy one. I just enjoy discussions with lots of twists and turns; you asked a clear, concise question and got a clear, concise [and accurate] answer. Efficiency results in no entertainment value for internet personalities such as yours truly who think the fun is in the chase. ****, maybe you were just joking too, I don't know.
dunno.gif
Cheers if you were, cause you got me!

Whicheverwhichoneitwas, may your tire roll smoothly like the quiet stream.

"It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." - Salvador Dali

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
Ooops. Yeah, you could read my statement a couple different ways I guess; I wasn't trying to imply that you were "simple" minded because the answer to your question was an easy one. I just enjoy discussions with lots of twists and turns; you asked a clear, concise question and got a clear, concise [and accurate] answer. Efficiency results in no entertainment value for internet personalities such as yours truly who think the fun is in the chase. ****, maybe you were just joking too, I don't know.
dunno.gif
Cheers if you were, cause you got me!

My apologies to you. I took your comment the wrong way, as I thought you were being a wise guy. Thanks for clarifying.

quote:

Originally posted by CapriRacer:
Put another way - the weight of a valve cap is so small that it doesn't matter.

Since BITOG is all about obsessing over automotive maintenance, I stand by my assertion that it matters-- just a very teeny eensy amount. I personally throw out gum wrappers on a regular basis to lighten my weight and save gas.
smile.gif

To think of it another way, they only make tire weights in increments of 0.5 oz and anything less unbalanced can't be felt by mere mortals. How many valve caps does it take to get up to 1/2 an oz? The tech would put that same weight on a fraction of an inch off from where it otherwise would have landed on the outer rim to correct for the cap weight.

Lest this thread get any longer, I completely agree with you CapriRacer.
cheers.gif

Before you balance the tires, don't forget to check your tread for a wad of chewing gum you may have run over.
wink.gif

Do wheel locks have anything to do with the balance of a tire?
They seem heavier that a lugnut in most cases.

actually in Miata circles they seem to debate this sort of thing re locking lugnuts, etc.

The cars are apparantly quite sensitive.

Being very close to the center of rotation, I doubt wheel locks have a meaningful effect on balance. On the other hand, I used to have McGard wheel locks before which didn't appear to be any heavier than my other lugbolts.

Most valve caps here are stolen either by kids or the first shop that puts in air after balancing, so we don't put them on before balancing.
More important to make sure the rims and tires are CLEAN. A little dirt weighs more than the cap, and will eventually wash off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back