tire pressure confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a set of Uniroyal tiger paw touring. The tire rides like a dream I’m confused about the tire pressure. The installer placed 38 psi in each tire. I told them ford recommends 32 psi. They told me never to go by what the auto maker recommends go by what the tire manufacturer recommends’. Now I can’t find any thing that tells me Uniroyal recommends 38 psi. The installer also told me that tires have changed since 2000 and the plate in my door jam is not to today’s standards. If the sticker on my door jam is incorrect wouldn’t Ford have to update all G/M owners? I’m curious what the 2005-2006 G/M tire pressure is? If any of you have tire experience and could assist me I would be grateful.

the vehicle is a 2000 grand marquis
tire size P25560R16 97T

I did contact uniroyal directly here was their response.
Uniroyal tells me the installer was incorrect and to use fords recommended tire pressur of 32psa. Mercury/Ford has not responded to my request.

You've asked this question at a number of web sites over the last few days, so I'm confused!

Most everyone has said the placard pressure of 32 psi is the correct value. There have been a few dissenting opinions about the value, but everyone seems to agree that the installer's logic is incorrect.

I'm especially concerned that the tire manufacturer's answer didn't seem to be satisfactory.

So what is it that seems to be the problem? Are you looking for a more technical answer? Please help me understand so I can give you a better answer.

The psi number Ford posts in the manual will give you the most comfortable ride with the tires that came on the new vehicle. Tire manufacturers usually do not give a recommended psi. They assume you will inflate the tires per the manual in your car.

Truth is, any psi is acceptable as long as it is at or above the auto manufacturers specs and lower than the max cold pressure per the tire manufacturers specs (printed on the sidewall of your tire).

Generally the higher the psi, the better the mpg and stiffer the ride. It's all a matter of preference within those two tolerances.

Personally, I keep the psi as high as I can until the ride starts to become uncomfortable. My truck recommends 29 psi, the max cold pressure of my tires is 35 psi. I generally keep my tires at 33.5 or 34.

I agree with boone88rr.

Mazda recommends 32 and I run at 40psi, still under the 44 max. I get better MPG and steering response, at the sacrifice of a harsher ride over sharp bumps.

Goodyear recommends 35 in my F1's (225-45-17) on my Matrix (Toyota says 32). Could a tire or vehicle mfgr's recommendation have something to do with meeting a load index or due to a speed rating? Ford recommended 32 PSI in my 1999 Crown Vic unless it had the 225-60-16 V rated performance tires, then it was 35 PSI. I would assume the 35 PSI was due to the increased speeds and loads that the police vehicle would see.

I just wonder why the installer had such an attitude.

I can see a tire place or even a quickie lube going a couple of pounds over as long as they were in the range boone88rr describes. If called on it they might say it's to correct for the air the tire will naturally lose over the next service interval. And if requested to go to 32 b/c the door jamb says to they should "yes sir" and just do it.

Ford revised their door jamb stickers on explorers and there was a big recall and media blitz. NHTSA.gov has a list of recalls for your mercury, if any. If you're the original owner of your car you'd have gotten a letter in the mail too.

The correct pressure is that stated on the driver's side door jam plate. The manufacturer of a tire has no idea what vehicles the tire will be installed on or the specs, especially vehicle weight, of those vehicles, so how would the tire manufacturer possibly know the correct pressure for a given vehicle? Your installer doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ford has had nothing but, problems with their recomendations i.e. Explorers rolling over. I think the email responce from Ford would be the correct one now that Ford has smartened up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back