Calling all HydroEdge owners and anyone else who wants to look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had the 'Edges on my Matrix for about 2 weeks now and maybe about 1500 miles or so.......when I initially traded out the Goodyear Comfortreds for them the first thing I noticed was that they were a louder tire..makes sense...the GY's were very quiet but sort of a mushy not connected ride plus the HydroEdge has a really aggressive tread pattern in relation to the Goodyears.

Ok so for the first few days I'm loving this new set of rubber...like I said, quite a bit louder than the other tires but to be expected...usual highway "roar"..tires are very grippy and handle snow like a champ...mpg did not drop and in fact has improved a bit which I found suprising.

What has gradually gotten very annoying over the last week has been a "helicopter" noise that is very evident at speeds less than 55 or so...it sounds just like my OEM Conti's that cupped or scalloped at about 17k and this noise has me quite concerned....hopefully those familiar with cupping will know what I am talking about..The Conti's were fairly quiet before they cupped and the GY's were pretty silent.

Is it possible to have tires cupped with less than 2k on them? Nothing for nothing as I knew these tires would make some noise but the "whomp, whomp, whomp" noise is down right irritating.

Sounds like I am driving a Dodge Ram 4x4 with oversized tires!
shocked.gif
I just know when I go back to Town Fair today they are gonna say that noise is normal for that type of tire..ummmm..I don't think any new tire should sound like that...not to mention there is also a high pitched noise that you would relate to a truck with oversized tires at highway speeds.

I think I got a bad set...I don't know what else to do but brand new rubber should not have the "helicopter" noise. One of the back tires looks like it has little slits on some the tread also and it isn't siping..weird

I have the worst luck with tires
frown.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

Could be one or more bad belts. Also check, to be sure, that you actually got four tires in exactly the same size.

I'd see if I could return them and perhaps pay on a pro-rated basis for the use you've had. If they're as bad as you say then they should do something to help you out.

- Glenn

I have 'Edges on our '92 MPV minivan and 2001 Lexus ES. I have noticed a little louder road noise, but no "helicopter sound" like you describe.

So the road noise you hear is the typical(louder) roar from tires with aggressive treads correct?

If anyone has heard a cupped or scalloped tire you'd know what I mean...you can actually hear it more at slower speeds
dunno.gif

I hate going back to these guys..they just look at you with a blank stare when you explain what the issue is.

Oh well Monday I'll see what they have to say....I know noise is sometimes vehicle specific...the 205/55 16 is a lower profile tire so they probably give off a bit more noise but not sure if I want to live out 80,000 more miles sounding like my worn out Conti's!

I did notice that the shoulder of the tires are looking a little worn after only 2K but isnt that part of normal wear? Could this be the culprit?

Goose
patriot.gif

I think I would consider some suspension issues, like alignment, damaged/defective/worn shocks, or struts? Maybe a wheel bearing has gone bad? Bearings can go even on relatively new vehicles, and even on a bullit-proof Toyota! Some of the above issues can affect tire wear and especially noise levels with a roaring sound, or helicopter whop-whop-whopping sound. If you've noticed even remotely similar sounds between those several recent sets of tires you've had on your vehicle, I think I would suspect something else other than just the tires. A bad wheel bearing would be first on my list of usual suspects. Just a wild guess on my part, from your description. FWIW.
smile.gif

About the only way to find out is to rotate the tires, to see if that changes things, or try another set, of the same, or other brand.

Something is not right, eliminate the possible sources, easy ones first. The tires were the last thing changed?
burnout.gif

This vehicle is known to cause irregular tire wear (some folks called it cupping - erroneously), and unfortunately, I think you went from a tire that was good for this to a tire that isn't.

No, shoulder wear is not normal, but it's being induced by the vehicle, so I doubt if talking to the tire shop will get you any consideration. (BTW, the dumb look is especially effective when you don't want to tell someone bad news!)

However, a good alignment will probably help. Make sure the alignment shop puts everything at "nominal", not just "within spec". The specs are pretty wide.

Went from a tire that was good for this? Sorry Capri, I'm not following...

Same wheelbase as the Coroalla and those folks are raving about the Edges.....Like I said , I can stand a bit of a roar and the bit of a sing but the whomp, whomp whomp on tires that only have about 1500 miles just isnt right... Make SAME exact sound the Contis made when I rotated them but that was afte 14K!

Different sections of road surfaces really make a diff in the amount of sound(the whomp) I can hear also....why is that? The Highway looks the same to me...not concrete to asphalt etc...also vibrations one section of the road but 2 miles down the road pretty smooth...can tires really transmit that much of a road feel through the wheel? Feels like no way they are balanced then...well yeah they feel ok..then back to vibrations...hmmmm should not be this difficult
smile.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

"....Sorry Capri, I'm not following..."

As a general rule, tires that are aggressive also make more road noise, and are more prone to develop irregular wear. Irregular wear can cause increased noise.

Check the alignment as this is what drives irregular wear. Increased inflation pressure will help!

Aha gotcha....well they did do a front alignment when they put the tires on..only 1500 miles or so..irreg tire wear already?

Also to clarify...the noise is more like Curly going woo woo woo but at a much lower pitch
smile.gif
Not the whomp noise as I said above...could it be the tires as I can hear this even while going 10-15 mile per hour?..less noticable at 65-75mph
confused.gif
My ratings call for 32psi all the way around...you suggest more?

Goose
patriot.gif

Goose (whoops, couldn't help myself!),

More pressure? - not a bad idea.

10 - 15 mph - usually not noise from irregular wear. Sounds like something else is going on. CV joints?

Goose, Call Michelin's Customer Service number and ask that an engineer come out and take alook at your situation. If not, at least talk to one about it and see what he has to say.

I'm sure Michelin, is interested if you have a problem, because they have a problem. They may have a batch of faulty tires out, and don't know about it unless you let them know. Maybe that tire won't work with your car's suspension design, it happens. Have you checked with Toyota, about this? They may know something. I don't think you are the only one or the first one, who has had a problem with this. Good Luck...
burnout.gif
burnout.gif
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Geeez I hope not...car is pretty new! Yeah..I can hear it just buzzing around town at 30 mph also and it slows done in tone as I come to a stop like something is rubbing....bearings make this noise?

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back