Why do you need LT tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking around lately for a used Jeep Cherokee, and I've come across one I like. Every think has checked out, except it needs new tires.
What I'm wondering is whether or not I need light truck tires? I don't plan on towing or hauling anything around, or even doing any mild offroading. The reason I ask is because I've noticed that my Grand Prix that weighs 3600lbs and holds 5 passengers is more than the Jeep Cherokee that weighs 3300lbs and holds 5 passengers. The Grand Prix doesn't require LT tires but the Jeep does. Am I missing something here?

I don't think your Jeep requires LT metric tires. Look for the vehicle placard which is usually in the glove box or on a doorpost. The placard will list the original tire size and the proper inflation pressure for that size.

But there are 2 items that you are probably not aware of:

1) P metric tires used in trailer and light truck applications (and that would include SUV's)are derated 10% for load capacity. This is to account for the stiffer suspensions and more likely overload situations encountered with these types of vehicles.

2) Flotation sizes (like 31X10.50R15LT's) are sometimes used in these applications and they interchange with P metric tires fairly well, except for their physically larger dimensions.

No need to run LT tires on a Cherokee. A P metric tire was in all likelyhood the OEM equuipment, and the door placard will say for sure. Capriracer is right on on the derating of P series tires in Light Truck applications.

All you need is a P tire. It doesn't matter what the Cherokee came stock with. I have an 03 Ford Ranger and the Ranger pickups, which are about 3,400-3,600 lbs., all come stock with P tires. I've owned 6 full-sized pickups and used them all off-road and to haul heavy loads such as firewood. I never ran anything but P tires on any of them and had no problems whatsoever. A lot of cars, especially the older ones, weigh 4,000-5,000 lbs. and they use the P tires. The idea behind the LT tires is simply that they are built a bit sturdier than the P tires so for real rough use and real heavy hauling you might want to use them, especially for full size pickups, tho I always got by with P tires on my full size pickups. Also, the same tire costs more in the LT than in the P.

I put Yoko TRZs on my CR-V, they work great. When you scale up the P tire's tread, it's pretty knobby.

Most Half-ton trucks come with P-rated tires, but you can always jump up to the LT if it is really necessary,

so pretty much anything under a 3/4 ton will be fine with regular P tires, although some vehicle require the P-metric Extra-Loads which is a kind of an inbetween tire.

Be aware that some tires differ in warranty and in tread depth, and possibly other things, in the same tire in respect to P vs. LT.

For example, here's a link to Bridgestone Dueller A/T REVO's: Tire Sizes and Specifications: Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO with UNI-T AQ II

Note the different tread depth and the lack of a warranty on the LT and metric sizes.

When I went to the Firestone dealer, and they pulled these up for my truck (Ford Ranger FX4 Level II, 31x10.5x15), right on the system screen was in red: NO MILEAGE WARRANTY.

After I explained my concern with this, the dealer worked it out so that instead of just choosing the 4 tire package, they created a new one, so it didn't have that verbiage. If I run into a mileage warranty problem, my paperwork won't have these notes...so I should be covered.

Just saying, there is is difference between LT and P, at least in the case of the REVO's that I got.

Chuck

I see Bridgestone has been tinkering with these things again... My LT245/75/16 Dueler AT REVO's did come with a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty when I got them over two years ago. They will easily make that, although the snow grip is definitely lessened at 40,000+ miles on them now. I also see that the tread dimensions,etc have changed again. The original spec for tread depth in this size was 17/32, now its 15/32, etc...

In any event, yes, the LT had different charecteristics than the P tire of the same size when I got them, which is why I specifically asked for the LT series tires on my F150.

Compare the load rating of the tires to you GVWR on your door jamb, you might not even need them. LT tires just have a higher load rating then the P model, but not nessarilly higher then other brands' P models. There are also P XLs which are somewhere in between.

You'll be fine with a P-rated tire.
wink.gif

Word of Caution:

When P metric tires are used in Light Truck application (Pickups, SUV, Trailers, etc.) the load rating is decreased by 10%. LT metric tires have this already factored in.

Interesting discussion. My buddy has an older Suburban 454 V8 with 4 wheel drive in Los Angeles. He was amazed to find that truck tires were cheaper and gave more miles per tire than passenger car tires for the same vehicle. He would answer that truck tires are better in his experience.

Some traditional long lasting highway truck tires are Michelin M&S, where some people with light vehicles get 80k to 100k out of them. Looking at some of the newer Goodyear offerings with the 'triple tread' the newer all season highway or AT truck tires have a severe snow rating while the P tires don't.

FYI - I have a '97 Rodeo, weighing somewhere along the line of 4,750 - 5,000#'s or so. I've had two sets of P rated tires, and 2 sets of LT tires; I'll keep my LT tires anyday.

They are a tad stiffer, but they do provide more general cornering stability; highway stability; and they don't feel as if the tire is coming off the rim in quick manuavers (sp??).

The P rated tire provides more tracking feel of the road, which is about the only thing I like about them.

Also an LT tire, like someone else mentioned, has a deeper tread depth, so although they don't offer a mileage warranty - they should last MUCH longer then the P rated tire as there's more tread to begin with.

However, if you lean towards an LT tire, for a Cherokee I'd recommend a Load range C, otherwise known as a 6-ply tire. A load range D or 8-ply is too much for someone who doesn't tow or haul; and don't even fathom putting on a Load range E tire. You'll feel like a tank on wheels!

Currently I'm running Yokohama Geolander A/T's in the LT265/75 R16 Load range D tires, I do a LOT of highway driving, towing, and camping in strange areas in the great-outdoors. I wanted an LT tire for longer tread-life, strength for towing, and hoping less mangulation on dirt roads due to thicker tread depth.

From a practical point of view, LT tires are vastly more resistant to flats than P tires on a pickup used on a farm or off-road. Since you're not in that position, go with the Ps.

It boils down to usage. Since the Cherokee is being used as a car, not a truck, P-rated tires are much more appropriate. LT tires are optomized for maximum load carrying, thats all. Most are not even speed rated. Off-roaders may also find them more damage-resistant, or not, depending upon speeds and terrain. The stiffness that may be good for load carrying and towing, can be a negative in sand and snow or even some kinds of rock crawling. On-road cornering and braking are also generally better with P-rated.

Ran KUMHO Ecsta STZ on our late 3,460-lb (empty)2001 XJ 2wd, and have installed same on son's 2001 2wd Limited.

Have weigh ticket showing 4,800 gross PLUS a heavy trailer in tow. No problems. Solo, at speeds quite high. Plenty of near max GCVW trips of 1,000 miles in hot weather. Have posted here and at Tire Rack. 50,000 plus miles with half of tread remaining.

Doubt that it is an LT tire. Wouldn't care either. This isn't a pickup truck.

Were either of the above a 4wd they'd have had the B-stone Dueler AT Revos.

The issue I had running LT tires on a vehicle originally spec'ed for P metric was tire pressure. To get the same load as the P tires, I had to inflate the LT tires to almost 50 psi. It had a slight "ballon" effect to the ride and handling. I eventually went back to P tires and enjoy the ride more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back