Any Snow tire performance updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judgig my your name you have a Diesl, id love to get a small diesel engnie ride, but VW is the onyl game in town and their prices are a joke.

BlackHondaAccord: "I have had snows from Pirelli, Michelin and Bridgestone, but running on Hakkas [makes] all the others seemed to be just like all-season tires. Hakka's are the best! I have even left 4x4s in my snow dust!"

Isn't it priceless to take a medium or compact-sized car and blow past some over-priced, over-bloated 4WD SUV and TOTALLY HUMILIATE the scared sheep who's driving it?
grin.gif

I did that the other day in a snowstorm. A convoy of 4 vehicles was traveling bumper-to-bumper in a line doing about 27 mph ... with two of them SUVs including a new super-duper off-road LR3 ($50+K Land Rover). I approached them doing about 50mph, pulled out into the uncleared lane, and just sailed on by.
burnout.gif

I already talked above about the fun I had on New Years Eve, passing practically everyone in sight.
cool.gif

--- Bror Jace

225/60R16 Dunlop M3 Wintersport - Absolutely awesome on the 4 corners of my manual camaro... I have not had one slippery problem even driving on an unplowed snow covered unpaved farm road with 4" on it in Conneticut. They also handle speeds up to 95mph very nicely and are quiet for luggy rubber. Im thrilled!!

I had the BFG A/T KO's on a dodge truck - HATED them from about 6k on.

Tread life alone was horrible, stopping on ice and snow was impossible, and driving in the rain was downright scary.

I wouldn't use them again if someone gave them to me.

"Judgig my your name you have a Diesl, id love to get a small diesel engnie ride, but VW is the onyl game in town and their prices are a joke. "

Lot of "disappointed" owners who shouldn't have a diesel will panic and sell at a great price when faced with repairs or maintenance. Shop and you can get a real bargain sometimes.
Fun to own and fix, but not for everyone.

I've tried lots of different snows; this season I decided to give the Nokians a try. I will not go back. I'm on the Hak IIs, which are less aggressive but longer-wearing than the Hak I, (there is another that is even more aggressive, I think). Compared to other snow tires I've used, my observations are:

- They may not have MORE traction than other snow tires, but the traction is more even as you cross differing surface conditions, more predictable, and it is easier to sense the limits and control the car as you approach and exceed them.

- They are wearing very well for snow tires. I have maybe 8k miles on them now and am projecting that they will go 20k before they are down to 4/32" tread. They are known for this.

- They are very nice on dry roads. Because they are not a super-soft compound, they behave well when pushed. The limits are of course low, but very predictable and enjoyable.

These observations are on a REAR wheel drive older BMW (E30 325i), which is my daily driver.

I have never tried the Blizzaks, partly because the "multicell" tread compound only exists for the first half of the tire's life, which I just can't see as compatible with my tire needs.

- Glenn

These guys extolling the virtues of various Nokian tires know what they are talking about. They are so much better than some of the other choices out there (particularly Blizzak IMO). I have been using them on two different vehicles (Hakka Qs) for five years and they have made a significant difference (my wife's FWD Accord) and my RWD cars.

I will be trying a different Nokian next year (maybe something a little less hardcore than the Hakka Q like the RSI or possibly the WR) as the Hakka Q may be a bit of overkill for NE Ohio and the amount of dry/wet conditions I encounter from December-April.

The primary thing to look for in a snow tire is the Severe Service Emblem. I believe there are some other good snow tires out there from Vredestein and Green Diamond as well. Bridgestone may have improved a fair bit in the last couple of years as many others have.

In conclusion, the most important thing is to actually use snow tires if you encounter these type of conditions. AWD or FWD is meaningless if you don't have traction. Tires provide traction. Just about any snow tire out there is better than all-season tires in snow/icy conditions. People who claim they have FWD or AWD and therefore don't need snow tires in severe conditions simply don't have a clue what they are missing.

Regards,

Rich

"People who claim they have FWD or AWD and therefore don't need snow tires in severe conditions simply don't have a clue what they are missing."

I agree, but a bit of snow isn't as hard of a teacher as ice is. You can have 'eleventeen wheel drive' and still have no traction if the tires aen't adequate, as footage of tanks sliding across ice covered roads makes clear.

1sttruck wrote >
> I agree, but a bit of snow isn't as hard of a
> teacher as ice is.

Agreed, ice is quite different than snow and is extremely severe. The siping of certain snow tires does help some on ice but nothing is as good as studs in that instance (or chains for instance).

> You can have 'eleventeen wheel
> drive' and still have no traction if the tires
> aen't adequate, as footage of tanks sliding across
> ice covered roads makes clear.

I love me those "eleventeen wheelers"...

:)

Are the tanks sliding laterally? Is this a result of the track design where the tracks are largely built to move forward and backward but allow lateral slip?

Regards,

Rich

I believe the footage of tanks sliding down the street comes from Bastogne. Sherman tanks masquerading as sleighs.
smile.gif

And the slide was sort of diagonal if my memory's correct.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bjor: I think your memory of that footage is correct, I've seen that footage scores of times. The scene I think you are referring to was of a Sherman sliding diagonally on glaze ice and down the slope of the crown of the paved road it was on. Incidentally, I've seen many a M-48/M-60 slip-slide-away even on hard ground with a slick thin-mud layer even while excuting moderate turning manuevers, and a few struck on high center in deep-enough mud. Those observations left me with a deep conviction that no vehicle dependent on traction with the ground is immune to becoming stuck. Just as in driving with the right tires, in the right kind vehicle, imprudent operation can easily end in a ruined day or worse, even in a tank! At least out there on the highways of America bad folks don't show up with RPGs to make a bad situation worse!
smile.gif

"Those observations left me with a deep conviction that no vehicle dependent on traction with the ground is immune to becoming stuck."

In a tank battalion that I was in M60s have ended up stuck in mud, deep enough to cover the tracks.

> And the slide was sort of diagonal if my memory's correct.

Is the slide "diagonal" because the slipping is lateral but there is enough forward propulsion that the end result appears to be diagonal but the actual slippage is simply laterally.

Does this make sense? I wouldn't think tank tracks would allow for very much forward/aft slippage compared to lateral slippage.

Regards,

Rich

The tank tracks were metal with rubber pads, not like the metal tracks on something a bulldozer. All metal tracks would chew up a road quick as an M60 weighed around 60 tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back