what 32nd do you change tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with runing them to wear bars in summer, and 6/32nds in winter -- unless you get a lot of rain in summer. My Michelins on the van are down to about 7/32nds. I had lots of problems when we had significant snow in Dec. I plan to run them until next fall (we don't put that many miles on/yr). It always cracks me up when I see people selling used tires on e-bay. They say "50-70% tread remaining at 5-7/32nds". NO -- you can't run tires down to 0. Most passenger tires are 10-->11/32nds new.

I turn mine into slicks. Gotta have some fun with them
burnout.gif
before getting rid of 'em. Then the fronts move to the rear, and a pair of new tires for the front. Repeat process in a couple of years. Incidently, I have a separate set of winter tires, so the "summer" tires are purely for abuse.

Alex.

A factor that has not been mentioned is the depth of the tire's SIPES. Sipes are the little grooves that typically run diagonally across the tread and look like closed cuts. Most premium tires have sipes that run the full depth of the tread, but many tires have sipes that go only half-depth. Those "trivial-looking" sipes make a difference in wet weather and in dry cornering. So if you have half-depth sipes, then consider replacing the tires when they have more tread compared to tires with full-depth sipes.

My gosh . . .

You mean some states actually inspect your tire tread for safety?

In Louisiana, if it's got rubber bands wrapped on the wheels, it would pass what's called "inspection."

-- Paul
I was thinking the same thing. The last inspection stickers that were put on my truck and my wifes car, the tag was filled out and paid for before they even saw the car. Didnt inspect anything either, just scraped the old one off and put the new one on and I was on my way. I generally run my tires till the wear bars show than change them out. My wifes tires get changed at half tread life and the old ones sold at to a used tire dealer. No reasoning behind this, I guess I feel that if something happens to me than its okay, just not my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back