Tire pressure gauge re-calibrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this pressure gauge

http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...=10&ClassID=149&SubclassID=718&ProductID=2831

and it reads 2 psi when it should read zero. I use it for ATV tires which need 6 psi so 2 off is a lot. Is there anyway to re-calibrate them (maybe with the two screws on the back of the gauge) or am I sol?

cheers.gif

If you have a friend with a guage you can trust, you can see if the 2PSI is "incremental" or a simple zero-point offset. Measure the pressure of a tire in the 30 PSI range with his guage and with your guage. If your guage is 2 PSI higher, then your guage is still linear and just offset by +2PSI. If your guage reads the ~same as his, then you have a zero point problem and this guage should not be used when accuracy is desired at the low end of the scale.

I don't know about how to recalibrate these kinds of guages. I suspect that it is possible, but what you would compare it to to "know"?

A long time ago on another forum I asked this question of calibrating tire gauges. The best answer I read was that you should gather up all your gauges and your friend's gauges and test them on the same tire. Most will read the same. The oddballs should stand out. It worked for me. It simply a matter of having a good statistical population.

I believe Consumer Reports did a study some years back and found most popular gauges sold over the counter, including the cheapie pencil types, were accurate within 1 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back