Hankook winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy put studded Hankook 404's on his Acura last year and they are the best winter tires I've ever experienced. He went to a work-sponsored skid school with them and put everyone else to shame. Another buddy went the next day and the instructor mentioned "the guy from yesterday with the black Acura and studded tires" a couple of times! They're a little noisier than some tires though. Not sure how they'd be on ice without studs, but they're very good in deep snow too.

I just put the Hankook tires, with studs, in the link below on my wife's 03 Subaru Forester for the winter. We only run them in the winter and this will be the 5th winter on this set of tires. They have a lot of tread, siping, and studding left on them. We may well get a 6th winter out of them. The tires only get 3-5,000 mi. put on them a winter. They have excellent traction on ice, packed snow, loose and deep snow, and dry pavement. From the early 1990's to 2002 we ran a number of sets of this tire, studded, on three full size pickups that we had during that period. In my opinion they are an excellent snow tire. As with all snow tires, they are made of a softer compound than summer, performance, all-season, AT, or MT tires, which makes them grip better on ice and hardpacked snow, but because of the softer compound they wear out fairly quickly. I'd say that they are good for 30,000 mi. tops. They have a lot of sipes, which also helps traction on ice and hardpacked snow.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/products_view_info.asp?Item_ID=25&CatID=6

Thanks. I am looking at the 401's and this is good to hear, though I estimate putting 6-7K miles on them so it looks like a good choice since this is your 5th winter. Thanbks again.

I've had a set of Winter 909's (discontinued) and loved them. They also survived summer* driving without the typical snow tire wear and wallowiness(sp).

Alex.

*I was going to get rid of the car, didn't want to buy new summer tires for it, ended up keeping the car an extra two years and still was pleased with the performance of the 909 in the winter. By contrast, the BFG Winter Slalom is the biggest peice of crap when the temperature warms up, I didn't even bother to burn them off as a final hurah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back