If you HAD to have an all-season tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW my neighbor's Vette had Goodyear Eagle GSAs on it when it came from the previous owner, and he was not happy with the wet/light snow traction. He put on Bridgestone Potenzas the last two years and loves them.

Can't agree,JK
cheers.gif

I just took those off the wife's '05 Corolla LE.
I found them to be terrible in rain and handling.
I imagine they stink in snow.
When I bought GY Triple Treks from the Tire Rack,the local installer could not believe how soft the sidewalls are on the SE200's.
He had a tougher time getting the tires off the rims because the sidewall was so soft.
You get what you pay for.
The best cheap tires are made by Kumho.
A no name who is trying to make a name for themselves.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS

Here is my ranking of all-season tires that I'd buy.

1. Falken ZE-512 all season performance tires. These are very inexpensive tires that perform incredibly well!

2. Falken

3. Falken

4. If you got money to blow, Goodyear Triple Threads

5. If you have even more money to blow, Nokian WRs

BFG Traction T/A.

They're not perfect, but they're pretty dang good! I have the T-rated version. I hated them at first though!!!

I'd agree with racejk, BFG Traction TAs. Can be a little harsh/stiff, but in the rain & snow, the were very good for me. Also, for the money, the Yoko Avid tires performed well.

quote:

Posted by Drew
1. Falken ZE-512 all season performance tires. These are very inexpensive tires that perform incredibly well!

Falken's if you want plush but imprecise handling circa 1940. My dad's 1954 Rocket 88 Olds handles better w/ big bias plied whitewalls than my car ever did w/ the 512s. We do agree on the WRs though.

quote:

I'd agree with racejk, BFG Traction TAs. Can be a little harsh/stiff, but in the rain & snow, the were very good for me. Also, for the money, the Yoko Avid tires performed well

Yep, the T/A's rode awful IMO at first. They smoothed out over time though. They're really smooth now!! When I was trying to decide on a tire, it was between the T/A's and the Avids. I love the T/A's now!!

quote:

I'd agree with racejk, BFG Traction TAs. Can be a little harsh/stiff, but in the rain & snow, the were very good for me.

I have these tires on my Integra and they are excellent tires for the money. The only thing I don't like about these tires is that they are noisy on the highway. They also have very good thread life.

I have the Nokian WR's on my car. According to a previous post I must have money to blow. That's news to me. I am of the opinion that tires are a fairly important part of a car and I need to go with one of the best. Nokian tires have always served me well; that's why I buy them.

Pbert25, I agree the Kumho HP4 716's are good but I think Kumho is replacing them with the Solus KH16's.

In reference to the comment of money to blow with Nokian WR's. These tires are the sole tire sold in North America that is winter tire rated and can be used year round. So its an incredible bargain if you need or desire a single tire to fullfill the duties of a true winter tire and also your year round ride and lasts 50k miles. No seperate rims and/or switchover fees hassles. On our last Civic they were only $100/each about the same as Michelin or Bridgestone in the same class.

The Falkens turn to poo after 20-30k miles in noise especially during braking.

Traction TAs if firm ride and a little noise isn't a problem. Mine are still loud but they handle great in all weather conditions and are as good in the snow as any all season I've had. Much more responsive and better wearing than the Falkens but louder, firmer. Feel like summer performance tires.

I've got Nokian WR-Suv's on my Isuzu Rodeo and I love them. They've made the 4x4 button obsolete. They make it seem like the snow isn't there.

I just had BFGoodrich traction t/a H in 185/60/14 put on my 94 civic. They actually ride better and soak up bumps better than the nitto NT460 touring tires that were on there at the same psi. Grips in dry and wet quite excellent. Turn-in response is exccellent, and there is a very nice progressive break of traction compared to the nittos. Noise is less than the nittos. As you can tell, i don't think very highly of the nitto nt460.

My brakes still overpower the tires (I have hawk HPS pads) but abs helps me with the braking threshold and not flatspotting.

quote:

FWIW my neighbor's Vette had Goodyear Eagle GSAs on it when it came from the previous owner, and he was not happy with the wet/light snow traction. He put on Bridgestone Potenzas the last two years and loves them.

Totally agree. I installed a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires on my 2001 Taurus in October. They are excellent and handle very well on heavy rain, light snow and ice.

As an example, shortly after they were installed I was traveling on I-95 south of Richmond at approximately 80 MPH on completely dry pavement. Suddenly I went through a squall line of heavy rain; these tires went through that as if the roadway was completely dry. I was impressed by this performance. A lesser tire would have squirmed all over the pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back