Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the Dueler Alenza long enough to drive 60 miles home and then back the next day to return them. When we looked at the tires I told the salesperson what I wanted and he told me that these tires would do. When we returned them another salesperson told us that they were more of a sporty tire and would not give the quiet smooth ride that we wanted. We went with Michelin Cross Terrain and they are a much much better tire than the Bridgestone Alenza.

BFG All-Terrains are surprisingly smooth. I had Cross Terrains and the BFGs are quieter and the Jeep rides much better.

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
We had the Dueler Alenza long enough to drive 60 miles home and then back the next day to return them. When we looked at the tires I told the salesperson what I wanted and he told me that these tires would do. When we returned them another salesperson told us that they were more of a sporty tire and would not give the quiet smooth ride that we wanted. We went with Michelin Cross Terrain and they are a much much better tire than the Bridgestone Alenza.

Interesting.
The test results at Tire Rack had the Alenza's rated better than the Michelin Cross Terrain in ride and noise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_dueler_hl_alenza_c.jsp

Survey results has the Alenza's the #1 tire in the Highway All Season catagory.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

[/QUOTE]Interesting.
The test results at Tire Rack had the Alenza's rated better than the Michelin Cross Terrain in ride and noise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_dueler_hl_alenza_c.jsp

Survey results has the Alenza's the #1 tire in the Highway All Season catagory.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS [/QB][/QUOTE]

That is one reason we went with the Bridgestone but they just did not work out for us. There are a few others that also said the Bridgestone's were not what they expected. Actually the Michelin Crosss Terrain's are rated higher in ride comfort and noise than the Alenza.

[ September 06, 2005, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: 74 Laguna ]

quote:

. Actually the Michelin Crosss Terrain's are rated higher in ride comfort and noise than the Alenza. [/QUOTE]

According to Tire Rack's own testing the Alenza's were better rated in the ride comfort,noise and braking.
The Alenza'a also show a better light and heavy snow rating.
The Michelin Cross Terrains came in 5th place.
I'll have to do more research.
cheers.gif

Colt,

It is true that the Michelin Cross Terrain came in 5th overall but as of today on Tire Rack's web site the Cross Terrain came in 1st place with a score of 8.8 vs 8.3 for the Alenza for Ride comfort and the Cross Terrain was tied for first with the Kumho with a score of 8.6 vs. 8.4 for the Alenza for noise. Since we have a newer Z71 Silverado we need all the help we can get. I would say that if you do buy the Alenza to buy them from a local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer because I really think you will want to retun them.

quote:

Colt,

It is true that the Michelin Cross Terrain came in 5th overall but as of today on Tire Rack's web site the Cross Terrain came in 1st place with a score of 8.8 vs 8.3 for the Alenza for Ride comfort and the Cross Terrain was tied for first with the Kumho with a score of 8.6 vs. 8.4 for the Alenza for noise. Since we have a newer Z71 Silverado we need all the help we can get. I would say that if you do buy the Alenza to buy them from a local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer because I really think you will want to retun them.

I appreciate your imput,Laguna.
Where did you find that on Tire Rack's site?

This is what I found.
This is not a customer survey.
This is Tire Racks's testing.
The Michelin's are $21 ea more and no $100 rebate too.
shocked.gif

The Michelins are S rated and the Alenza's are H rated.
I'm starting to like the Michelin's though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

[ September 06, 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

I found it on the same site you sent sent and was talking about. I think that is the customer reviews. It shows that the Alenza has 218,729 miles reported and the Michelin has 18,986,913 miles reported by customers. I,m sure you can find a couple of other sites where they rate tires. I am going to get another set of wheels for our Silverado from E-Bay and get a set of Michelin LTX M/S so I can switch tires in the garage and try both sets on the same road the same day and see which Michelin is the best. I hope this helps.

Colt,

Dont' buy the Michelin on just my say. I would go to your Bridgestone dealer and tell them just exactly what you want in a tire and tell them if the Alenza is not what they say that you will return it and see what they tell you. You might get a salesperson that will tell you the same thing the second person told me. You might like that firmmer sporty feel. I just wanted the softest quietest ride I could get.

quote:

Colt,

I just wanted the softest quietest ride I could get.

That's a very important characteristic for me too.
Along with wet and snowy road control.
I thought the Alenza's were my choice.
Now I must do some research.
#@$%&@ Michelin's are so $%#&@ expensive!

I have heard a lot of good things about the Firestone Destination LE tires also and they are much less expensive than the Michelin.You might want to check on them.

The Firestone Destination seems to be ok but it's between the Alenza's and Cross Terrains.

I just got this email from the sales guy I've bought 4 sets of tires off of at Tire Rack.
I asked his opinion of the Alenza's vs the Michelin's.

"I have driven on both and the Alenza is just as smooth and quite as the Michelin, but the all season traction is better on the Bridgestone's."

Tough decision.
Looks like I'm going to flip a coin.
Even though with the rebate the Alenza's would be $184 cheaper for the set.

Why not try the Alenza's and see if you like them? Bridgestone offers a 30 day test drive, so take advantage of it. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

30 DAY TEST DRIVE
All Bridgestone and Firestone passenger light truck tires except: runflat, sealant, winter, and temporary spare tires, sold through an authorized dealer are covered by the 30 Day Test Drive. If a retail customer who purchased eligible Bridgestone or Firestone tires is not completely satisfied, they can return the tires to the location from which the tires were purchased within “30 days” of purchase for a full refund or exchange. Original proof of purchase is required. Tires received as original equipment on new vehicles are not covered by the 30 Day Test Drive. See retailer for details.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
Why not try the Alenza's and see if you like them? Bridgestone offers a 30 day test drive, so take advantage of it. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

30 DAY TEST DRIVE
All Bridgestone and Firestone passenger light truck tires except: runflat, sealant, winter, and temporary spare tires, sold through an authorized dealer are covered by the 30 Day Test Drive. If a retail customer who purchased eligible Bridgestone or Firestone tires is not completely satisfied, they can return the tires to the location from which the tires were purchased within “30 days” of purchase for a full refund or exchange. Original proof of purchase is required. Tires received as original equipment on new vehicles are not covered by the 30 Day Test Drive. See retailer for details.

Great idea,bretfraz.
But buying from the Tire Rack changes things.
I've checked a couple of so called discount tire places locally and found the Alenza's in my 245/65/17 at $176+tax per installed.
That's $100 more than Tire Rack after TR tires are installed locally..
shocked.gif

The Michelins will be $184 more.

$176.00 per tire, installed? That's a pretty competitive price.

Tire Rack is at $137.00/tire. Add about $15.00 per tire for shipping and you're at $152.00 per tire at your door.

$15-20 per tire installation is a pretty common price, so you're off $4.00-$9.00 per tire. I'll bet your local Firestone/Bridgstone dealer is willing to match that price. And they'll certainly honor that 30 day test drive deal.

I did this dance earlier this summer with a set of Firestone tires. My local Firestone dealer quoted me a slightly higher price for the tires but when I showed them a printout from Tire Rack, they beat the price.

If you're not sure you will like these tires, I would not recommend buying online. Instead I think you're better off getting them locally and playing it safe, just in case you hate them.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
$176.00 per tire, installed? That's a pretty competitive price.

Tire Rack is at $137.00/tire. Add about $15.00 per tire for shipping and you're at $152.00 per tire at your door.

$15-20 per tire installation is a pretty common price, so you're off $4.00-$9.00 per tire. I'll bet your local Firestone/Bridgstone dealer is willing to match that price. And they'll certainly honor that 30 day test drive deal.

I did this dance earlier this summer with a set of Firestone tires. My local Firestone dealer quoted me a slightly higher price for the tires but when I showed them a printout from Tire Rack, they beat the price.

If you're not sure you will like these tires, I would not recommend buying online. Instead I think you're better off getting them locally and playing it safe, just in case you hate them.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

That's $176 + another $10.56 per tire tax.
You're right on the shipping cost.
I just checked and it's $58.
The last set of tires which I recieved two weeks ago cost me $31 for shipping.
Though they were 15 inch tires.
I'm going to try the printout thing with a Firestone dealer locally.
I will wait till 9/16.
That's when a $100 rebate will be available on Duelers.
Thanks for your imput.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
I will wait till 9/16.
That's when a $100 rebate will be available on Duelers.

BINGO!! When I bought my Firestone's they had a rebate going as well. With the dealers competitive price + the rebate, no one anywhere could touch my net price per tire. That rebate will pay for installation. Sounds like you've got a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back