Storing Tires on the Side or Vertical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this pricipale different, but when storing winter vs summer tires during the different seasons (full tire/wheel) setup, is it better to keep them vertical or just stack them on top of each other and throw a black garbage back.

When I checked awhile back, everyone seems to recommend storing it one on top of each other even though I asked is there will be any weight issues.

I look forward to Bitogers view on this
wink.gif

Store tires on the side. It will prevent flat spotting. I was at a cosco once, and the tires were stored vertical on racks. While browsing, I noticed a few tires that were flat spotted.

I bag them individually, and store them on thier side, one on top of the other. I haven't had any issues, and I've been doing this every spring and fall.

If the tires are mounted and fully inflated then it probably doesn't matter if they're laid on the side or vertical. If the tires aren't on rims I lay them on their side without stacking them so they won't get distorted.

My vote is vertical, like the tire shops. If there is a flat spot, it will be gone shortly after driving. Horizontal, especially if you stack, causes the beads to close closer together and take a "set" that way, after a while. Then, when trying to mount on the rims, there is a problem with getting the beads touching the rim, creating problems inflating. Although may not be an issue on short aspect ratio, low profile performance tires. I had this problem some years back after stacking horizontal, and my tire shop almost couldnt get them to seal and wanted to sell me new tires. There are probably some tricks to help.

For instance, on big truck and tractor tires, my brother used to put lighter fluid, or something, on the bead as the tire and rim laid flat,with the hose attached to the valve. Then he threw a match on it, and "whooofff" the bead blew up against the rim, so the air could start sealing. Or something like that. The lighter fluid burned off quickly creating no problems. Pretty dangerous, so please dont try!! First time I saw him do that was in a wash bay of a gas station he ran. Scared me to death, but there was a water hose and buckets of water nearby.

To edit, after seeing the original post again, it probably wont matter in tires switched twice a year. I also see that they are already mounted, so horizontally is better, as you dont have to worry about them rolling around. My problems were with tires (only) stored longer.

Maybe just disregard my whole post................I need more coffee!!!

[ March 30, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: MAJA ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I think MAJA's post qualifies as a redneck moment.

You KNOW somebody at BITOG will be trying this!

That happened a number of times in the Big O tire shop I left more than a year ago now. We didn't have extra tools to help out like I do now have at Belle Tire. Things like what's called "The Cheetah"

It's basically a small tank you can fill with compressed air. It has a long neck to discharge the air through, into your tire. It'll help inflate the tire more and throw the beads outward towards the bead-seating surface on the wheel. Tire mounting machines also have nozzles that shoot out air when you press the air inflation pedal down all the way. But they don't always do the trick.

Let me tell you, it's definitely interesting to watch. Especially if you are using one of the aforementioned tire mounting machines and you press the pedal down all the way when the beads are on fire... stuff shoots up pretty high! Looks like rocket propulsion for a brief moment.

Havn't seen any of that at Belle tire yet. It would appear that the "Cheetah" does the trick quite nicely... and more quickly and safely. heh

Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I prefer to stack mine although it probably doesn't matter either way. I just do it for space savings. The flat-spotting is not really a concern because there is very little weight on the tire contact patch (weight of just wheel/tire vs. weight of added vehicle). Just make sure they are inflated properly and clean before you put them away.

One thing I was told is that you don't want to put them in plastic bags. It doesn't allow air circulation and since tires "out-gas" a bit, there is no way for it to escape. Don't know how critical it is but I just throw an old sheet over the set. I also slip a piece of cardboard between each wheel/tire too.

One thing NOT to do is place them close to any electric motors. They emit ozone (small amounts mind you) that can attack the rubber and degrade them over time in storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back