more on nitrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course dehydrated air will provide virtually all the benefits of dry nitrogen, seeing as air is approx. 78% nitrogen.
Of course, if the nitrogen isn't dry..
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
Of course dehydrated air will provide virtually all the benefits of dry nitrogen, seeing as air is approx. 78% nitrogen.

The article admitted as much at the end of the article.
shocked.gif

What amuses me is that the big claim to fame for N2 vs dry air is that the N2 molecules don't leak through the tires as fast as O2 molecules.

Since air is about 80% N2 and 20% O2, just overfill the tires by 20% the first time and let the O2 leak out leaving nearly pure N2
pat.gif

Methinks there is bunch of hype there.
rolleyes.gif

I've never gotten into the Nitrogen thing.

Nitrogen is pretty close to the same size as oxygen.

Shouldn't leak any differently really.

Nitrogen isn't effected by tempurature fluctuations like "normal" air thus your pressure will not vary as much as the temp move around.

In the above link they state that nitrogen makes a tire run cooler. That doesn't make sense to me.

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Nitrogen isn't effected by tempurature fluctuations like "normal" air thus your pressure will not vary as much as the temp move around.

Both N2 and O2 obey the ideal gas equation (Pressure x Volume/Temperature (in degrees Kelvin) = Constant).

Therefore Nitrogen and Oxygen (and thus air) behave exactly the same.

I do agree that the nitrogen is probably drier than the average garage's air system.

I have Nitrogen in both vehicles and I've basically given up on refilling. I now check 6 mthly at Bob Janes and any extra is free. The Outback just doesnt leak at all. Just fantastic knowing I dont have to play with disk pad dust covered valve stem seals every few weeks. 38/34 psi front rear in both vehicles and thats how they stay. My workmates all agree as they use it now.

its going on two months now since the BFG Mud Terrains in the Defender were swapped and balanced and the pressures haven't altered.

They were filled with compressed air. (and I carry one or two bottles of dry nitrogen in the back)
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back