Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Actually, I had heard this before about Blizzaks. Their highly touted ‘multi-cellular’ compound is soft and wears out quite quickly. First year, traction in snow is superb. Second year, not too bad but subsequent years are iffy at best as most of the advantages have literally been scrubbed off.
frown.gif

But I thought that was true only years ago. Anyone used them for the past 3+ years? Have they fixed this serious durability problem?
confused.gif

[/QB]

Well, I picked the Blizzak's 2-3 years ago (the WS-50) because my dad put them on my mom's car over 5 years ago. Due to the fairly low mileage, her fairly "light" right foot, and the '91 Accord she drives the tires actually look great. They've been dry-stored and well taken care of and quite frankly they look and drive very well still, and are still soft. I don't expect the WS-50 Blizzak's on my '03 Accord V6 to last more than 4 seasons, I put on considerably more miles per year and drive harder while I'm at it.

Sooooo...

At the end of the year I'll let you know how the Nokians do but I bet I have less than 3000 miles on them before the RA-07's go back on. Actually, maybe it's me but the RA-07's actually seem pretty good for an all season.

Yesterday we drove from northern to southern WA on I5, into an ice storm that had developed yesterday around the Portland area. I have a set of studded winter tires on a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, and we did fine thru a bit of slush, some ice on I5 where we saw cars spin out and do 360s in front of us, cars in the ditches facing different directions, and one upside down. When we got to some back roads close to the Columbia River gorge the truck finally wiggled and starting sliding when I started off, having stopped for someone that was trying to pull a car out of ditch. I stopped, put the flashers on and started putting the chains on. It was amazing as the truck started slowly sliding towards the side of the road when I was putting the 1st of the rear chains on, with the studded tires on the truck ! It stopped when I tightened the chain. We clunked down the road, and the only other vehicles that I saw out had chains on. I dropped some people off, and then made it up the 700 ft hill that we live on.

This storm only produced 0.1 inches of precipitation, much less than the 2 to 3 inches of ice that we had last year, but I guess since there was no base of snow and since it was not much below freezing the road conditions have been worse. Yesterday Portland had issued a requirement for chains on all major roads, as opposed to traction devices which means that snow tires are adequate. It's been lifted and chains were only needed in the Columbia River gorge.

I'll be looking at trying to put more studs on the tires, but will always carry the chains.

My son had stayed behind and like we always do in ice storms we entertained ourselves watching people trying to get up the street that we live on, and he described some Darwin award candidiates. Some guy in a pickup spent 2 hrs trying to get up the hill earlier in the day, starting at the bottom and picking up as much speed as possible, then stalling in front of our driveway before spinning out and doing 360s. After a half a dozen or so attempts he figured out that he needed some weight in the bed, so some of his friends got in the bed of the pickup :^) They were initially close to the cab and he only made it a bit further up the street, but he evidently made it up after he got them to sit at the back of the bed.

We'll need to get the neighbors out and start scoring people.

I have never seen a car with chains on in my life. Around here you can buy cables and some sort of rubber spider web thing to put around your tires...I guess chains are illegal just like studs. Those contraptions are too expensive to be worth buying so they just sit on the shelves.

Update on the Graspic DS-1s. These tires are alright in snow and slush but I still spin the wheels a fair amount. On ice they are like any other tire, useless. I find that the best way to stop is to nudge over to the curb far enough that you have your wheels off of the icy tracks. If the entire road is icy I rub the passenger side wheels against the snowbanks when stopping. If it wasn't so cold out it wouldn't be an issue but salt doesn't work at these temperatures. I've considered strapping a few mattresses on the rear of my car to save it from an *** pounding...

Cheers, Steve

In the morning paper they noted that the Snoqualime (speling?) pass on I90 had been closed for awhile yesterday due to ice, and when it was reopened it was chains only, even for 4wd. It was also chains only for awhile on I84 east of Portland.

I've been using the Laclede square link 'Alpine' chains available from Les Schwab, as they go on pretty easy and have excellent traction. If you use them check them for cracks and broken links, as you don't want one to come loose and wrap around a brake cable while you're driving.

I put a set of Pirelli Winter Carving on my Beetle this winter. http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Pirelli_Winter_Carving_tire_reviews.html

The OE tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A which might as well be slicks in the snow. So far I'm really impressed. These are more of a touring tire (T rated) - for performance Pirelli makes the 210 which is H rated. These tires are studable (if Ontario ever gets out of the dark ages - the improvement in studs since they were banned 20 (or 30) years ago is huge.

Just as an aside, on my Grand Caravan I have Michelin Harmony which are an all season tire, however, their performance in snow is quite remarkable. The GC does well in snow as it is (high off the ground and weight over the front), but these Harmonys run circles around the OE tires which were Michelin MX4.

lol.gif

quote:

We'll need to get the neighbors out and start scoring people

The main point is almost any winter tire is much better driving through whatever Mother Nature can throw at you. Snow, ice, freezing rain, the only thing better would be 4WD.
Just watch out for the A/S drivers who think they are just as fast as you !
Everybody have a safe drive on your new tires!
cheers.gif

To add my 2 cents...the set of Nokian RSI tires on my Saab 9-5 wagon provides remarkable traction in snow. I never hit much ice in them, but in fresh snow, packed snow, and slush they gripped like no tomorrow. Not cheap though, for 15" tires I think they were $113 each.

My subaru has a set of Nokian WR's, their 'all-weather' tire. Also excellent in the snow, with AWD of course.

Last night was insane. It rained all day but the ice on the roads did not melt, it just got smooth. I got stuck a bunch of times and my car kept sliding out of peoples driveways when I tried to get out of it.
lol.gif
It would have been nice to have chains or studs on. The better solution would have been to stay home but that wasn't an option. The torque of the diesel along with the tractor like engagement of my clutch didn't help much either.

Steve

For 8 years I travel 100kms/62mi each way to work and back on most terrible highway stretch in all of Canada. I am very aggressive driver and usually pass everything on the highway being rage driver and even more rage passenger. "outta the way, coming thru...."

Winter is extreme around here. Name it for hazards regarding weather and wildlife, we have it. In the past up until 4-1/2 years ago I have used BFG/Dunlop/Goodyear tires.
A local ice racer told me about the Pirelli Winter tires.
I check the pattern and looks very aggressive. I used them for 3 seasons and very impressive in slush and accleration. Braking is good and gives confidence.
Last two years approx I try the Nokian "Hakkapeliitta" and most impressive for sure.
The Hakka's I use are recent discontinued so I'm disapointed. The new Hakka's are called "Q". I think Hakkapeliitta is translated to "confidence" in english. heh heh...

This summer I am changing tires to the Kumho KW19 winter tires. I look at every brand of winter tire and this Kumho is near a twin to tread pattern to the Hakka's.
 -

Looks like a great pattern, rubber seems good durometer for "gription" and steering to avoid moose/deer. I run them [winter's] all year round and would not run anything else.
All season or otherwise would be a waste of money to me for loss of traction control in winter slush or summer when highway has water on it and possible hydroplane. The winter tires Rawk, you turn the wheel, the car steers!

Regards
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back