New Consumer Reports truck/SUV tire ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
CR is just one data point. (one that I take with a grain of salt).

Read the 1010 forums and the reviews at Tire Rack. Go ahead and read Consumer Distorts. Go to the forums pertaining to your vehicle and read the tire threads.

Now you'll have a good basis for deciding on tires.

I am really surprised at Michelin's ratings!! But, from personal experience, I've found these to be excellent tires when you purchase them for their intended use. Firestone Steeltex tires that come on some of Ford super duty pickups offer good traction in the sand and snow. I call them Grandpa tires because they look so narrow. I like the wider tread of the Michelin LTX M&S tires.

I can think of 3 more criterior to add to the list which you wont see because it involves very long term testing and multiple vehicles to do in a timely fashion. io: 3 years.

By then the tires tested could be off the market and with multiple vehicles used you have other variables involved.

I like to know how long the tire lasts, is it a smooth ride all the way to bald or does the tire ride and balance go crazy after half the tread is gone. the last thing I would like to know is how is the tires fuel economy new/used/old compared to other tires designed for similar circumstances.

When I changed over from used 16k miles Firestone steeltex on my Excursion to the free pirelli's my highway mileage dropped 2 mpg from 21 to 19 over a test course I run to determine mileage. Perhaps after 16k miles the difference wont be so great.

quote:

CR doesn't accept advertising and they say they annomously buy the products they test. Do you have other information?

Then why aren't Falken or Toyo included in the lineup? Both of them are widely available, advertised in many magazines, and cost less then many of the tires reviewed...or maybe its because everytime some of the Toyo's show up, they dominate everything else in the lineup.

By comparison, if you look at many of the european based "consumer type" reviews, they've got those extra tire companies.

Its kinda of like having a review of winter tires, and leaving off Vredestein's, Nokian's, or Hakkas's. Just because the tires aren't reviewed doesn't mean they aren't good...it just means they don't have a big enough marketing background to warrant their purchase...even if they are far superior to everything else being offered in the article.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:

quote:

CR doesn't accept advertising and they say they annomously buy the products they test. Do you have other information?

Then why aren't Falken or Toyo included in the lineup?

They don't have an unlimited budget and tend to buy brands that are more popular.

It's not an enthusiasts magazine.A person who is interested enough in the items tested to already have a good knowledge of the topic probably doen't need the information the review has. They also most likely don't subscribe to the magazine, they just complain about it.
smile.gif

I have the Kumho Venture HT 235/75/15 on a 98 Mercury Mountaineer. These are by far the best tires that have been on this SUV. The merc came with Firestone's (recalled) then the dealer put on Michelon Cross terrain's. Both the firestones and Michelons had horrible rides. Once the Kumho's were installed the ride is much better. Much softer ride, yet handling is good. No problems with dry/wet traction either.

For $55 a tire they can't be beat. There's no reason to pay over $100 a tire for goodyears or Michelon's

Additionally I have Kumho Escta MX's on my Camaro, 285/40/17. These tires are better in every category than the Goodyear F1's that came on the came. The tires were 135 each compared to 250 for the goodyears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back