Douglas Performance GT-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a set of Douglas Performance GT-H tires at Wal-Mart. About $75 each out the door with Road hazard etc. Only has a 40K warranty. This is for a 2000 Mazda 626. This is a low mileage driven vehicle. In fact I bought it new and it only has 16,500 on the vehicle.

Also looking at the BFG Excentia GTH for about $10 more each and a 50K warranty.

Opinions/ideas?

Thanks

I would suggest the BFGoodrich. The Douglas tires are of lower quality and don't have nearly as much grip. They would probably be better in rain also. Neither tire will last too long, but as you said that's not a problem. Wal-mart's warranty is a good one. I've gotten two new tires on my wifes car because of a nail next to the sidewall. One was free and one was $18 pro-rated because it was worn. If the nail was fixable Wal-mart uses proper patching methods, a plug/patch applied from the inside since you got the warranty you can have it balanced for free.

-T

FYI Douglas tires are made by Kelly which is owned by goodyear.

If you do get the Doulglas performance GTHs make sure they mount them correctly, they are asymmetric.

Thanks T-Kieth. The BFG's look good and the info you presented convinced me. Thanks, and when you read this I will probably have them on the car.

cheers.gif

There is a set of Douglas tires on the Stratus right now. They were cheap and the price was appealing. However, I cannot stand them. The ride VERY rough, handle and corner very sloppy, the grip is terrible in the summer, so bad I will pt on something different for winter. The tread is almost 1/2 gone after 10,000 miles. They are the worst tire I have ever owned. If for only $10 more you can get a brand name BFG, I would insist you will not be sorry for the extra money spent. I am so excited to get the Douglas tires on the Stratus replaced. They are the epitomy of danger, as far as I've found. Good luck with your decision.

I did get the BFG. They seem to handle as good or better than the original Bridgestones. Thanks for all the info and the warning on the Douglas tires.

smile.gif

Now for the good/bad news on the BFG tires. The bad news is that I had a blow out passing Wetherford, OK. I was following a Semi and I ran over a piece of unseen debris and the left rear tire blew out on the thread (road) side. I then changed the tire and went to Amarillo, Texas Wal-Mart. Brand new tire installed, cost to me, only time, 0 Dollars. That $2-3 dollar road hazzard warranty paid off.

cheers.gif

T-Kieth,

You are da man. Those tires grip and handle perfect, even aired to 35 psi. The amazing thing is I really did not know the tire blew out, and I was going the speed limit. (close anyway) I heard a loud thump like I ran over an old tire. I drove a mile to an exit, pulled in to a resturant because I was hungry. Then I got out of the car and saw the tire was totally flat. I never new it, the vehicle handled perfect.

Again, Thanks for the recommendation.

smile.gif

The Douglas's (Kelly-Goodyear) may be a lot worse then the BFG's, but the Excentias are a Wal-Mart only tire unless you live in Europe (and that may be a totally separate tire with a similar name anyway.)

My friend does have Excentias on her Focus and they seem fine, not sure whether they're better than a non-Walmart Radial T/A though. I bought some Uniroyal TigerPaw GT-H's through Wallyworld special order. They're cheaper than the Douglases (I think) and have been a big improvement on the original Michilin Energies. May switch to Kumho's when they're worn out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back