BfGoodrich traction t/a

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2000 Grand Prix GTP with 55k miles on it. It rode and handled great with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires that were on there when we bought the car, but those tires were incredibly noisy. The LS tires have a reputation for being crappy, and these tires should've been better.

My wife and I took a trip down I-30 Friday night, and I was never so glad to be home in my life. It was awful. I made the same trip in two other vehicles recently, and it didn't bother me at all.

I would've thought higher performance tires would've rode rougher than a standard touring tire, but maybe not. I was hoping these tires would get better with time, but it's not happening.

IMHO..my 2 cents.
What type of ride/handling are you accustom to?

My GW3s has a very firm ride over bumps, so when I switched to TAs, all of the sudden the bumps dissappeared. Hence for me ,soft and cushy.

Sorry to say but GM put really crappy OE tires on their sporty GP..225/60SR16 Eagle LS.
Crappy, just like you said. I checked the feedback on tirerack, they were all negative on the LS.
Also S rated tires are normally found on grandma's Buick.

Bottom line..Hi performance tires like the TA= stiffer ride and better handling.

Racerjk, I would say Goodyear's Assurance ComforTred would be more to your tastes.
It will give the pillowy soft ride you're looking for.
Happy tire hunting..
cheers.gif

i guess we are getting mixed reviews now. as far as road noise, i do hear the road but i always did even with the stupid mxv4's so i didnt have a good way to tell the difference. only to say that they beat mxv4.

i been on my tires for a while now, and today in the rain i just jamed on them...they held and barley slipped even with my foot to the floor on a harsh turn...in the rain (safe area though)

I know recommend them to anyone that needs a good priced T & H rated tire willing to sacrifice some ride comfort for excellent wet and snow grip.

The DOT AA Traction rating and BFG being made at the Michelin South Carolina plant is major perk
smile.gif

My old Hyundai Elantra had H rated Michelin Energies as OEM. My new Malibu Maxx has lower rated tires (oem Bridgestones T rated)despite having a lot more power and performance.

I don't push a car that much and would prefer non-H tires in order to get better mileage. Despite looking bad on paper the Bridgestone OEM's are a much better tire than the overpriced Michelin crap.

Once on H tires, most dealers won't substitute a lower rated tire. I'm convinced that the Elantra didn't need H rubber but that this was just a marketing ploy by Hyundai. Substitute the Hankooks with H rated Michelins, pay $5 for each tire. Michelin gets rich with tires that get ripped up and with people dumb enough to buy another set of Energies.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

The DOT AA Traction rating and BFG being made at the Michelin South Carolina plant is major perk
smile.gif

That was one of the reasons I purchased the BFG they have a few plants in the US.

Update:

The Traction T/A's seem to be getting better with age! They ride a lot smoother now. My wife and I motored right through some fairly hard rain tonight with no problems. They do seem a little noisy still at times, but not like the Eagle LS tires we had before.

I have a set of these (V-rated) on my 2000 Integra LS. They handle pretty good for an all-season tire. I thought about getting a strictly summer tire (like a G-Force Sport) but my car is used for commuting to school and back and it would be a waste IMHO. I can still corner at way-above-legal speeds if I so choose with the Traction T/As. Also, if it snows, they do well enough that I won't be stranded (although no substitute for snow tires, of which I have a set on extra wheels)

I was just on Tire Rack and didn't see the Traction T/A listed anymore. I was thinking of putting these on a Nissan Frontier in 215/65/15. Anybody with a Frontier recommend something else?

ive had traction t/a's on my car for 40,000mi. one thing i remember clear as day is how terrible and loud they road when i first got them. i hated them so much because of that. but rest assured, it will get better. noise will decrease a bit, and ride will improve. overall im not too impressed with these tires, theyre pretty good all around. treadwear has been excellent.

my main complaint is that if you are on the highway, the far right lane for example. sometimes the pavement has sunk in due to tractor trailers traveling in that lane in the same spot, and when it rains, water fills in those sunken spots and with the traction t/a's my car hydroplanes like no other. i find myself avoiding the right lane on highways when it rains, unless the pavement is perfectly flat without low spots. but then again, my car is a light civic, so maybe heavier cars wouldnt experience this.

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
I was just on Tire Rack and didn't see the Traction T/A listed anymore. I was thinking of putting these on a Nissan Frontier in 215/65/15. Anybody with a Frontier recommend something else?

I wondered why such a highly rated tire that is still in production was taken off the web site.
I emailed and found that apparently due to short supply they pulled it off the site. However they still have some in stock. I originally planned on buying in December in time for the first snow but at $53 a tire in 205/60-15 and limited supply I didn't wait. I got my 4th set of 4 tires yesterday.
Now all 4 cars in the family fleet are using this tire.

These tires did great for me on a 2,000 mile roadtrip last month. They ride so much better and some quieter now! It's like night and day since they were new because I outright hated them when we first got them. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to tolerate a long trip on these tires!

I still can't evaluate their rain performance. The few times I've drive my wife's car in the rain, I thought they did well. We didn't run into much rain on our vacation.

My wife and I both needed tires at the same time, and wet traction was on top of my list. I had wanted to try the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T, and put them on her car. I wanted to save a little money on mine, and got the Traction T/A for it. Both have been superb. When I got them, 3+ months ago, TireRack actually rated the Traction T/A higher; now they don't list it at all. (Why?)

Also, wet traction being more important than looks on mine, I swapped from 225/60-16 to 215/65-16. We are both happy. Both prior tires slipped and slid whent he humidity was just high ; these HOLD. My gas mileage seems to have dropped about 4%. My wife doesn't keep the records I do to know.

I just got mine and I like the firm ride handling trade off but at least for now they are qite noisey. I've heard this gets better with miles and I'll track this for us. My Mazda 6 seems to be affected more by tire noise then some others and if this tire doesn't improve, I will be disappointed with the purchase. If it gets 25% better, I will be a happy camper. I'm coming from Michelin MXMV4s which aren't particularly quite to begin with so I wasn't expecting a clear increase here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back