Do I need to replace a tire with a small cut to its sidwall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not leaking and the cut is superficial, It's probably OK. If it has caused damage to the structure of the tire, replace it.

-T

It depends how "deep" it is. Superficial cuts are fine, but you won't always see "steel" since polyester and a lot of other synthetics are used in the construction of the sidewall, so if it damages one of these things you might want to think about replacing.

Alternatively go to several tire shops (not just one) and see what they say.

quote:

Originally posted by Jakebrake:
Why not replace it...for peace of mind and safety.

Because a new tire costs money, sometimes a lot. And now you will have one odd tire with different tread wear. This can be more dangerous in the winter then a superficial cut.

-T

Go To "Sears" and get a used tire off the rack.I'm guessing around
twenty Dollars.The have a good slection where i live.
Good Luck....

I wouldnt buy a used tire period.

Well my terms would be very specific....like if there were brand new wheels and tires take offs from a factory car etc.

Sears does not allow the sale of used tires.

Lakin has there exclusive contract to take away there disposal tires for either recyclying or sales to the 3rd world countries.

Now if you sneak there at night and take a disposal tire...theft yes.

Just not worth it.

Have it inspected by an reputable dealer (no charge)...if any steel or polyester is showing REPLACE.

My advice is replace and save that tire as a emergency only spare.

If you have a flap of rubber loose, it should probably be replaced. If you want to be sure, do like someone else said have 2 or 3 good tire shops look at it and advise you.

To let you know where I'm coming from, I wouldn't hesitate to use a tire that has taken acouple of nails and had good from inside the tire repairs on ahigh performance car. Damaged sidewalls make me nervous even though I'm not a nervous Nellie when it comes to repairing tires.

When I made a tight U turn on my wife's minivan, I accidentally ran into a curb, and scratch the rim with small cut to the sidewall of the right front tire. I lift the rubber and could not see any metal wires exposed. Do I have to replace this tire because it still have some tread left?

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

To let you know where I'm coming from, I wouldn't hesitate to use a tire that has taken acouple of nails and had good from inside the tire repairs on ahigh performance car. Damaged sidewalls make me nervous even though I'm not a nervous Nellie when it comes to repairing tires.

=============
In my lower standard of living days, on several occasions, I found a nail in the tread of a radial ply tire, but the tire was still holding air. When I started to pry the nail out, air started escaping. On two occasions, I got some silicone seal, pulled the nail out to the point where air was escaping, smeared the nail with the silicone seal, and pushed it back in. I left it to cure for 48 hours. Believe it or not, I was able to get all the remaining tread life out of the radial tires on both occasions.

I would not recommend a stunt like that to anyone else.

Even in those days, however, I was very careful with any sidewall damage. Unlike the treads, which are designed to remain stiff under the belting, the sidewalls flex twice with every revolution of the tire. Their integrity, therefore, is very important.

I think I will replace both front tires since my wife is nervous about it plus the winter is coming. By the way, should I replace all 4 tires since the minivan is all wheel drive?
dunno.gif
I also notice hair like cracks along the sidewall near the rims of all 4 tires probably due to aging.

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:
I think I will replace both front tires since my wife is nervous about it plus the winter is coming. By the way, should I replace all 4 tires since the minivan is all wheel drive?
dunno.gif
I also notice hair like cracks along the sidewall near the rims of all 4 tires probably due to aging.

In THIS case you may as well replace all 4 while you are at it then. How old are the tires anyway?

They Yokohama Avis Touring tires I bought in December, 2002 with 60,000 miles tread waranty. What a waste! The tires have half tread left probably good for another 20,000 miles of driving. I am thinking of keeping the other 3 good tires, but have no place to store in my small townhouse.

I just ordered a set of 4 identical tires from Tire Rack yesterday. I like their long tread life.

Age cracks on the sidewall are usually covered by warranty if the tire is less than 4 years old. They will generally not honor the warranty if you use any petroleum based detail spray on the sidewalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back