For the over 50 Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Curb Feelers? sure, if you were cool you had these long whiskers extending from the corners of your fenders to scrape the curb when you got too close, 'cause you didn't want to mess up your paint job or wax job.

Didn't want to mess up those white walls either.
I miss white walled tires.
Remember the cars (Cadillacs I think) that had pastel "white walls" to match the car?

[ August 26, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Dewlanna ]

The "Do You Remember These" means you have to take a look at http://www.singingman.us/DYR.htm . Make sure you turn your speakers up.

And since we're on the subject, how many remember when the steering wheel knob was called a Suicide Knob, and when you started a vehicle you had to pull a lever to "choke" it?
cool.gif

and the "suicide doors"... BTW what's actual meaning of the suicide?

edit:
quote:

Trivia Question - What other antiquated term is the 3/4 based on (hint, what did you call a 4/4)?

Three quarter leaf springs...And full eliptics ?

[ August 28, 2004, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: ikeepmychevytoo ]

Not just the words the details itself are being lost as we can form the plastic to any shape we want. Usually "spacer" is preferred for the "flange" or "bezel".

"sparking plug" from one old British manual.

Many people who read (material other than Pimple Magazine and The Weekly World News) are familiar with most or all those terms. Too bad people read much less than they used to do. They don't have time, I guess. They also don't have time to learn basic things like grammar and spelling. These days "it's" and "its" are used randomly. A "possessive prounoun," whut iz dat, huh? Plural apostrophe s has been elevated from incorrect to mainstream. I even see it on CCN. I blame it on the A's. Funny how language changes. Soon enuff we wil hev to rite a noo dickshuneri. And it's content's will be kwite funni.
wink.gif

I'm 38 but I heard of all the dragracers mentioned.

I grew up in a rural area of NH so things changed a lot slower. We got 2 TV channels when the weather was right.

I remember a friend whose parents bought one of the first top loading VCRs. (Beta or VHS?) They had a lot of money and you needed it to own such an extravagance...
grin.gif
The thing was huge!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

the "suicide doors"... BTW what's actual meaning of the suicide?

Suicide referred to the wisdom of riding in a car with these doors, especially if you exited while the car was rolling.

As far as the 3/4 cam, the following poster gave the term I was hinting at - a 3/4 cam was supposedly 75% of a FULL RACE cam.

Next cam name trivia - What was a 30-30 cam, and where did the name come from?

[ August 29, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: TooManyWheels ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:

Next cam name trivia - What was a 30-30 cam, and where did the name come from?

The only one I am familiar with is the 30/30 cam used in the 67-69 Z-28 302 engine. It was called a 30/30 because you set the intake and exhaust valve lash adjustment at .030"

Some variations of that in later aftermarket cams, but I am not familiar with them.

dunno.gif

The suicide door opened from front to back, was wide, and if you were going very fast or it was windy and opened the door, the door caught the wind and literally yanked you out of the car, because you couldn't let go fast enough.

I had "Modfied" 47 Chev. and 48 Plymouth's in high school and a few buddies have scars to this day from this experience.
nono.gif
Of course, my girlfriends NEVER wanted to exit the car.
grin.gif

Added: And how about a nice set of "Baby Moons" on those thin whitewalls.

BTW, I still go to the "Grocery Store."

Dewlanna, you'll love this,

I had a friend in college who drove this Red 76 Caddy Convertable. He had those reaaaally wide whitewalls. He painted those whitewalls alternating Red, White, and Black. He looked as if he should be pulling a circus wagon.

I have hundreds of PHR, Car Craft magazines stored away. And Glidden could have raced a bathtub and still won races. I remember when he raced a Plymouth Arrow and still won. He was without doubt "the best"

Vetteman: - Yes, the valve lash on a high performance small bolck Chevy is the answer I was looking for. My recollection was that it first came on the 375 horse 327s, if not earlier, but I haven't looked for the definitive answer in a while.

I remember that you weren't "cool" unless you could "grab" second gear. I learned the hard way on that one. All my friends dogged me saying my Dad's Chevy Monza 2+2 wouldn't grab second even though it had a V8 and posi-lock rear end. I showed them......took off and then threw it in neutral floored it, threw in it in D. They sure "grabbed" second then, but the transmission grabbed the asphalt also as it came flying out underneath the car. Boy, I remember that azz whooping plenty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back