Status
Not open for further replies.
God Is Busy

An East Coast Ivy League atheist professor
was teaching a university class and
he told the class that he was going
to prove that there is no God.

He said, "God, if you are real, then
I want you to knock me off this platform.
I'll give you 15 minutes!"

Ten minutes went by all the time taunting God,
"Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."
As the last minute approached he smugly smiled
A young US. Marine just released from active duty and newly
registered in the class walked up to the professor, hit him
full force on the chin sending him flying from his
platform and crashing to the floor.
The professor struggled up, badly shaken and yelled,
"WHAT's the matter with you!
Why did you do that?"

The Marine replied, "God was busy;
He sent The Marines"

grin.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Nice display of bigotry....

This joke has been determined to contain material that may offend others. Please eliminate the joke teller and any reference to this joke.

You are free to tell biggoted jokes about the clergy of the Christian church or Republicans only. Any mention of obviously well adjusted, humanist, perfect citizens of the Earth or otherwise atheist humans is expressly forbidden.

Please don't let this happen again.

quote:

Originally posted by Tree Hugger:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Which one, the atheist or the Marine?

The poster.

After clarification, Tree Hugger is referring to himself as "The poster" and thinks this joke was a display of bigotry. Don't shoot the messenger, I am only relaying the info.

dunno.gif

[ May 27, 2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I found the 'joke' deeply offensive.
IMHO, in the additional circumstances of current public debate on the separation of church and state, perceived attacks on the Constitution, an extreme fundamentalist christian as Attorney General, America's enemies accusing the government of waging a religious war; the 'joke' about the US Marines being in the service of the christian god was particularly insensitive and inappropriate, though it would have been 'wrong' at any time.

There are a lot of very funny ethnic, racial, and religious jokes. Most of the best of them poke fun at, or illustrate consequences of, ethnic, racial or religious general characteristics. One classic example that springs to mind is the old one about how do you tell a Catholic from a Baptist - The Baptists don't say Hi when you meet them in the liquor store....

But some of those jokes are not really humorous, they're typically just plain insults, or based on 'the different getting their come-uppance'. Typically no-one except a member of the 'in-group' finds these even mildly amusing. One of these that springs to mind is the one about a cowboy, a native american, and an arab stuck in an airport and 'shooting the bull'. The native american remarks that once there were very many of his people in America, but now they are few, the cowboy says 'Funny, there used not to be that many of my people in America, but now there's millions of them. The arab says 'There have always been millions of arabs, and there still are today.' The cowboy looks thoughtful and says 'Maybe that's because we ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet...' I can tell you that I've never seen anyone but an american laugh at that one, most other people just look disgusted.
I hope you can see what I'm getting at. The joke at the top of this thread was one of the latter kind. I'm hoping that just needs pointing out..

It isn't anything to do with Political Correctness (which, incidentally, I despise). It's about whether the 'joke' is about humor or despite.
Let me emphasize, as vetteman pointed out, I'm not calling the poster a bigot, I'm objecting to that 'joke'.

I am sorry that you feel so offended by that "joke", but I am still struggling to find what could be so offensive unless one carries a worldview that is decidedly different than mine. I feel that those who would cry foul at a joke like this are in the uneviable position of being completely intolerant of views that do not conincide with their own. This joke originates from a portion of the population that is fed up with the current percieved anti-christian viewpoint amongst a east coast university faculty that is percieved to be extremely left. I am not religious, but I feel for my neigbors who are. I most definitely see an anti-christian bias in today's world. The athiests only seem to attack the Christian God, they don't have the same venomous remarks for Allah. I'm hoping that I've got you wrong when I feel that you wouldn't have the same remarks to make if the marine was service Mohammed's God. Being intolerant of those who you believe to be intolerant makes you just as intolerant as they are. I am offended every day by people who would cry foul at most everything that I say. I am offended by all those people in this country who feel guilty for being part of the most powerful society in the world. I for one am proud to be an American.

I can't see how the joke is offensive. The joke is funny because the professor was trying to be a smart as and a person in the class, who happened to disagree with his opinion, gave him a smart *** coment back.

It's like the saying goes: You ask a smart *** question, you get a smart *** answer.
wink.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by carrera79:
I am sorry that you feel so offended by that "joke", but I am still struggling to find what could be so offensive unless one carries a worldview that is decidedly different than mine. I feel that those who would cry foul at a joke like this are in the uneviable position of being completely intolerant of views that do not conincide with their own. This joke originates from a portion of the population that is fed up with the current percieved anti-christian viewpoint amongst a east coast university faculty that is percieved to be extremely left. I am not religious, but I feel for my neigbors who are. I most definitely see an anti-christian bias in today's world. The athiests only seem to attack the Christian God, they don't have the same venomous remarks for Allah. I'm hoping that I've got you wrong when I feel that you wouldn't have the same remarks to make if the marine was service Mohammed's God. Being intolerant of those who you believe to be intolerant makes you just as intolerant as they are. I am offended every day by people who would cry foul at most everything that I say. I am offended by all those people in this country who feel guilty for being part of the most powerful society in the world. I for one am proud to be an American.

One last (I hope) response from me...
Try recasting that joke as occurring in Baghdad University, and the Marine as a member of a Muslim Militia. Would you still find it funny?
Tolerance doesn't require one to be tolerant of intolerance, that would be just plain silly!
I'm suggesting that a good criterion for whether an ethnic, racial or religious joke is funny or just prejudice, is whether anyone but a member of the indentifiable 'ingroup' would find it funny...

Tree Hugger, lighten up.
rolleyes.gif
This is why you Tree Huggers are not well liked. You want to push your agenda just like everyone else does. Your no different. The world is a hyprocritical place isn't it?
grin.gif
Freedom of Speech and freedom of BITOG posting.
smile.gif

The professor should have been knocked off the platform for proposing such a rediculous proof. By not being knocked off, all it proves is that he wasn't knocked off the platform, and not the existence of God.

Now we can argue who should knock him off.

However, that spoils a perfectly good joke.

Something is only offensive if one chooses to take offense. Not only do we have freedom of speech, but you have the freedom to choose to who you listen. If you don't like what someone says, then choose if you wish to continue listening, rather than telling someone else what they should or should not say.

Exercise your freedoms instead of trying to take mine away please.

TB

So no one finds it funny to poke fun at themselves? This is the basis for most humor, is it not? People need to keep in mind that in the end, it's a joke.

Something not mentioned yet, is that soldiers, whether they be Marines, Army, Navy, or Air force in general, tend to be very religious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back