wich of this two trucks would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately the Tundra V8. UOA's have proven that this is one of the best wearing engines around. I've heard of some problems with the Nissan V8's -- Titans and Armadas

Titan V8, the Tundra engine is weak. The VK56DE is pretty bulletproof, like the Infiniti VK45DE it was derived from.

There have been no problems with the Titan v8.
The Titan had some 1st year bugs with the rear diff and brakes , but the Tundra had many brake problems as well when they were introduced.

The tundra is a great truck ,but the Titan is also.
If your looking at 06 models the Titan is the way to go if you want lots of power.

quote:

Originally posted by Anthony:
There have been no problems with the Titan v8.

There was one guy on here who's engine sucked in a cat, a la the 2.5 engine, and was burning a quart every 500 miles.

That's the ONLY one like that I have heard of though. Everyone else's VK56DE's are rock solid. Mine sure was! I just couldn't afford the payments and the gas anymore
frown.gif

You know they are both excellent trucks with excellent power trains. I will say though that Nissian initial had some quality issues with door fitment, sqeaks and rattles etc....Some people also wounder how well the Dana44 axle in the Nissian is going to hold up. Seeinghow my mothers Tundra has been so problem free and solid as heck I would go Toyota. I do not know enough about the Nissian to really recomend it.

My mothers 2002 Tundra still does not have any sqeaks or rattles even when you go off raoding or over rough tracks at high speeds.Toyota's axles are almost legendary for durability in all but the most abusive of conditions. The interior is a bit boreing.

The Toyota V8 is the best engine in the business, year after year after year. Nothing even comes close. Not the biggest, not the most powerful, just the best.

Titan's rear is "fixed" for 2006 with syn oil and alloy cover with cooling fins.

These are both solid trucks. Titan will pull more and is larger and a bit more truck for the money. If you don't need the full size of a Titan, than I'd go for a Tundra, just because.

I would pick neither. Nissan is the worst, I don't care for Toyota, its not because of their quality though, but quality is the reason I hate Nissan. If you want a real truck you need to look at something other then these.

I haven't done much research into the Tundra. Does it have a timing chain or timing belt? My sister just dropped over $1000 on a new timing belt / water pump / transmission service / rear brake job on her 2001 Tacoma. Taking that into account, added to my timing belt woes with an Eclipse I had and I'd vote to avoid the Toyota if the V8 is also belt driven. If it's a chain like Nissan, I'd say go for it, as my sister's truck has been bulletproof at 100K. I don't know if Nissan has ironed out their brake rotor problems, but the 2005's were very troublesome in that area.

Toyota Tundra. Depending on your needs they will be clearancing them when the 07's hit the lots if you want more truck wait till the 07 comes out..it's a whole new beast. Also the current Tundra Double cab has a larger frame width wheelbase and capacity than the extended cab version. I could have bought a new Titan cheap(18k) but spent more on a Tacoma with the Tow package and felt better about the decision.
Obviously I am biased but having owned Toyotas for the past 5 years and Nissans for 4 years before that my bias is based on experience. I drive American trucks for work..those fleet trucks and my experiences with them seal my decisions and my bias.

For now, go with the Titan. It's got good power, reasonable size, and it's well built. All that and the price tag is very reasonable.

The upcoming Tundra looks convincing and is probably engineered to out do competitors like Titan, but try to stay away from 1st year productions.

The 2007 Tundra is set to be released in January, I believe. It should definitely raise the bar with an all-new design, including a brand new 5.7L V8.

If resale is important to you, go with the yota. My FIL, who has used chevy 1/2 tons for light commercial snowplowing and hauling for the last ~25yrs, recently got a tundra with the i-force V8. He tried 3 different toyota dealers before he found one that would install a snowplow and not void the p-train warranty. He's had the tundra for almost a year now and loves it. Only complaint is- per him, the chevy 1/2 ton 4x4's got better MPG's.

Joel

I've got a 2002 Tundra and I am very happy with it. Interior is boring, but the engine is rock solid and very easy to work in the engine compartment (I've replaced a serpentine belt, spark plugs, PCV valve - all preventive maintenance). The brake issues were actually fixed in my model year. There was a TSB on it and Toyota upgraded you for free to the new design. I didn't find that out until after my warranty ended, but never had any problems with my brakes.

The one and only modification I made to it was to add a rear sway bar. My wife and I couldn't believe the difference. If you are thinking about getting a "turd" (I mean TRD), you might want to consider it because of the rear sway bar. Although, for all I know Toyota now has a rear sway bar standard so I would check into it.

Tundrasolutions.com is a good resource if you want to look into the Tundra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back