What would you buy ~$30k Performance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point to clarify:

The GT/H is currently available from Hertz, but they will have a production version available soon.

There are quite a few options out there, but I'm hard pressed to think of a car that I lust over more than a bright red, 6-speed G35 coupe. I've been in love with that car since the first time I put my butt in the driver's seat in 2003. The leather is some of the best I've seen this side of a Lexus LS, and the interior is more a 'cockpit' than a dashboard and console. Everything is at your fingertips, and under your right foot is 280 silky horsepower. For a little over $30K, it doesn't get much better.

Lol, the Caliber has a "world" engine developed with Hyundai and Mitsu. Yes, it will come in AWD. Can you call it American being a DC product?

I wonder if any used Acura TL's with SH-AWD are in the $30k range....

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
The OP's coming off a Mercedes, and names half a dozen premium Japanese and European sports models (with the "cheaper" Miata tossed in for poops and giggles). He directly says he doesn't want an American.

But folks start recommending Dodges, Pontiacs and Mustangs to him anyway.

Despite the caption, I think he's flying his flag fairly plainly, fellas.

What did you think of the Toyota FJ Cruiser recommendation?

Apparently my understanding of the word "likely" differs from your understanding Volvo..

"Likely not be made in the USA,"

There's a move on the part of Dodge that I'll never understand. Let's give the N/A 4-banger an AWD option, but let's hook the 300HP turbo screamer to FWD. I'm guessing this is due to their inability to locate / cough up an AWD system that could handle the horses in time for the car's release...it just struck me as very odd.

Well, I liked the Land Bruiser as far as a good sturdy truck platform goes. I think it got quickly overdone in later iterations and especially in the Lexus version.

I don't find the Cayenne all that sporty other than in a straight line, so find the FJ (and the Caddy SUV) even less so. The X5 is getting very long in the tooth, but even that isn't all that sporty.

I glean from his list that the OP wants higher end materials refinement and luxury, upper tier engine performance, prowess in the corners, AND strong winter performance. Not too many vehicles offer all of that in the sub $40k range.

I like the top AWD Volvos and several Audis in that context. I think an M is just a pig in the snow, expensive and pretty beat up when bought used (no one drives an M gently). If the IS350 came in a manual and AWD, THAT would be the choice. No American vehicle presently meets the OP's criteria.

I do like the effort the WRX contingent is making on this guy, though!

Just to toss this out there..

We have been able to order to AWD version of the Fusion for about 5-10 days now..

Its a V6, AWD, and is based on the Mazda 6 platform..

My personal choice would be a Mercury Milan Premier V6 AWD.. Only downside: No Manual in the V6.
frown.gif

The fusion will be well under your 30k limit, and the milian should be close.

I would get the Solstice GXP or Sky redline for around 25-28k. 2 liter putting out 260hp and 260tq, in a sweet roadster. Just watched a video from japan comparing a solstice and miata. The men on the show were suprised and kind of sad that the solstice was the better car for less money. The driver said if they made a right-hand drive solstice, he would buy one. A very good compliment for GM.

These are "sports cars"? A Neon? A Toyota retro-mini Land Cruiser? A Milan?

I'd suggest a clean $10K used ACTUAL "sports car" and a $20K fund in order to insure, modify & maintain, as needs be...

A "sports car" doesn't have to be a convertible, but it certainly helps.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
These are "sports cars"? A Neon? A Toyota retro-mini Land Cruiser? A Milan?

I'd suggest a clean $10K used ACTUAL "sports car" and a $20K fund in order to insure, modify & maintain, as needs be...

A "sports car" doesn't have to be a convertible, but it certainly helps.

Cheers!

I agree with you in principle, but $10k isn't going to buy much true sports car nowadays. And the guy lives in Rochester and wants snow performance. That really narrows the field.

Yea its a tough one with all these factors.

The subaru, ill have to drive it to see, but i dont know, i somehow lack a little trust from a 4 banger with that much power, we shall see on that one.

The FJ cruiser, again i may drive it, but i cant see how it meets the sports car (2d if you will) classification.

Accord, possible, but there are SO many of them it blends in a tad bit much.

The used (2001, 2002 mabye) M3, how are they relibility wise?

NSX...id love it, but no way it would be able to handle the snow.

The skyline, the new ones are way outta my range, and the old ones are JDM right? i get the feeling service wouldnt be fun on a car the dealers never worked on (the dealer will do most stuff for the first few years before i get my hands on her)

Mazda 6 speed thingy, possible, ill have to drive it, but it still blends in a tad.

Solstice/sky, possible, again drive ill drive em.

I will admit i love the look of the challenger, but i cant do another chrysler...too many bad experiences, plus the gas mileage scares me.

Im sure im forgettin some mentioned, ill try to update this a little later.

Also remember, im not going to be looking til next spring, but i figured i cant start lookin too early, and its a fun topic i think.

Thanks guys

I think the O.P was looking for a RWD or AWD vehicle. Last time I checked, the Caliber SRT4 is FWD. Is it going to be available in AWD? I can't imagine trying to deal with the torque-steer in a 300HP FWD car.

The FJ is a refreshing true blue 4WD after a long time, it isn't a sports car but then a sports car won't go where FJ will, OTOH, Mitsu Evo and Subaru WRX are some great cost worthy options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back