Grand Caravan oil consumption, update

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8 liter v6) is using 1/2-1 quart of oil (Havoline 5W/20) in a 2000-2500 mile stretch. Is this normal usage or could it be considered excessive?

This post was made about four months ago. I have switched from Havoline 5W/20 to Havoline 5W/30. I am currently 1225 miles into an oil change. I seem to be down about 2/3 to 3/4 a quart.
I plan to try a different brand of oil. I am thinking Motorcraft or Castrol. Should I go with 5W/20 or 5W/30? Any other suggestions?

Try this:

quote:

I often recommend a procedure that can be done on the expressway by putting the trans in a manually selected lower gear so that the car is about 4500 RPM at 45-55 MPH. Full throttle up too 5500-6000 and then lift and allow engine braking back to 4500. Do this 10 times and then drive normally to cool things off. Repeat. Do this several times on several consequtive days. This is excellent for braking in the rings or exercising the rings on an older engine that might have carbon deposits restricting ring motion causing poor oil economy.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010515;p=2

otis24,

I also have a 2005 Dodge Caravan with the 3.8 that is consuming about 1qt of Havoline 5w-20 SM every 2500 miles. Just for grins, I changed the oil with Mobil Delvac 15w-40 just to see if it would slow or stop the oil consumption. My butt dino says the engine is much more responsive with 5w-20.

Wayne

This vehicle has just over 29000 miles. I purchased it new (16 miles on the odometer). This seems to be a problem with Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.
One anti-Dodge website states that Chrysler's position is one quart every one thousand miles is normal. My local dealer stated that one quart every 300 miles is not excessive if it isn't fouling the plugs.
I know that Havoline is a good oil. I also know that certain engines might not like a particular oil so I thought a change in brands would be helpful. Right now, I'm not so sure. I will try something different my next oil change and see what happens. I may have to get used to the idea of adding 1-2 quarts in a 5k OCI.

Hmm First Ive heard of it actually. Maybe its just a common occorance on this motor ? Most other Chrysler motors dont cosume oil atleast that Ive seen. Then includes the 3.7/4.7/5.7/6.1 But then again Ive not seen a 3.8 SO im not sure on that one.

Aren't MC and Havoline basicaly the same oil? I know there are some differences, but similar enough?

Just a thought, have you considered Auto RX? My 3.8 is not using any noticable oil. While I have only had it for 6000 of its 34,000 miles, I did an Auto RX as soon as I got it just as a preventative thing.

I really haven't considered Auto RX. I purchased the vehicle new one year ago and oil changes have been done every 5K or sooner. Many of those miles have been long distance.
How does Castrol GTX compare to Havoline/Motorcraft?

That is excessive for that engine.
Maybe you drive like a nut.
How often did you change oil when it was new?
Did you do it yourself or did the shop change it?
Your rings may be worn or you burned your valves.
No leaks around oil filter gasket?
If you drive mostly high speed highway miles, change to Mobil 1 synthetic. Those engines run hot and work hard to haul that overweight Caravan. The older models were 1000 lbs. lighter, the newer models do have a smoother ride.

My first oil change was at 4K, a little long I will admit. Of course then, I didn't know about BITOG. It has been changed betweem 3 and 5K since. I drive the speed limit or slower. Here in South Dakota, the limit is 75. If I am in no hurry, I keep it at 65 to reduce fuel consumption when on the highway.

I have a '05 Grand Caravan too with the 3.3, I'm 2,800 miles into this interval with chevron dino and I'm around a half court down. I don't think 1 quart or less after 3,000 miles is excessive. I've got just under 27,000 miles and I think I'll stick with dino 5w-20.

I sure would try some different things such as brands and weight. I got no experience with 5w 20. But have found over the years 10w 30 does better in vehicles that consume some oil over 5w 30s. Keep in mind that 5w-XX dino oils are built up from a lighter base oil than 10w-XX.

Back in the early 90s I had a Toyota bought new. It consumed some oil, a qt in 2000 miles. I found that going from a 5w 30 to a 10w 30, oil consumption was cut in half (same brand). I ended up using only 5w 30 the coldest part of the year and 10w 30 the rest of the time.

My Dad bought a new F150 in 2000 that was using a qt in 1200 - 1500 miles of 5w 30. Ford dealer looked into it and tracked the usage for one OCI. Ford ended up saying using up to a qt in a 1000 mile was acceptable. After trying 10w 30 he also found oil consumption was cut by 40%.

I have a '05 Grand Caravan also, with the 3.8L Early on, I would be down maybe half a quart after 3k miles. I bought it new and changed the oil out at 1,500 miles, 2,900 miles then 3k since then. Currently running 4 quarts of M1 5w20 & 1 quart of RedLine 5w30 with about 3200 miles on this fill. Checked it yesterday and it was still at the Full mark. 29k miles on the vehicle fwiw.

Try Amsoil XL 5-20 engine oil. Change every 7.5K, I think this will work with the OEM OCI to keep your warranty intact. Nothing but good results and UOA's....

I've owned enough Chryslers to know which oils consume less.

Try Pennzoil or Castrol. Go two OCIs for best measurement. I consumed a half quart every 600 miles with this older Caravan. Now I consume a half-quart every 1200 miles with Pennzoil 10W-30.

My daughter's Shadow prefers Castrol.

quote:

Originally posted by otis24:
My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8 liter v6) is using 1/2-1 quart of oil (Havoline 5W/20) in a 2000-2500 mile stretch.

Junk engineering Chrysler engine! Consuming as much oil when almost new, as a poorly maintained 200,000 mile engine!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My local dealer stated that one quart every 300 miles is not excessive if it isn't fouling the plugs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've got to be kidding, right?
Nope, straight from the service manager's lips. As I said before, let Chrysler say that up front and see how many vehicles they sell. That would be like saying, "Gets two MPG". The next of the big three to go bankrupt.

quote:

The next of the big three to go bankrupt

(again)

They already pretty much did in 1980, save for the US gov't bailing 'em out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back