NASCAR and Japanese brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about giving the teams a limited amount of 93 octane fuel during each race, i.e. number of gallons equivalent to x mpg for a given distance race. And then let them do whatever they want in regards to engine size, number of cylinders, supercharging, turbocharging.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
yeah, b/c all those rural areas are mecca's of industry and education, right?
that's why all the enlightened minds are flocking there.

Such an "enlightened" statement from an "enlightened" mind from an "enlightened" place.
rolleyes.gif

wit T
eyez suhwutes ya midul-amurika
patriot.gif

[ August 19, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: gtx510 ]

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
Also, my own personal opinion is that the Japanese brands shouldn't be in NASCAR. Keep it true to its American roots.....

You mean the same roots that gave nascar its name? National Association of STOCK CAR auto racing? Name one 'nascar' that is in any way stock...
nascar is about as fake to its namesake nowadays as the WWF is to wrestling...

"You cannot in all honesty compare the racing modifications of back then to the completely custom-built dedicated race cars they run today."

Of course you can't, but my point is still valid. Cars that have come stock from the factory have been modified since the beginning of NASCAR. NOBODY ever ran a car stock from the factory. The fact that with each passing decade the cars are modified more and more does not detract from that. Today's NASCAR race cars are NOT modified for racing at the factory. They are bought stock, and THEN modified.

If you've got a problem with the top NASCAR racing series, such as the Busch and Nextel cups, in which the cars are very heavily modified, then look to the lower levels, that is, the 1/2 to 1 mile asphalt track racing and the dirt track racing, where the cars come stock from the factory and are much less modified.

The fact is, hardly anyone wants to race a car that is completely stock. Stock car racing is largely about racing a car that you've modified. And hardly anyone wants to watch races in which the cars are completely stock. Deal with it. Or admit that you just aren't into stock car racing.

I think Master ACiD is referring to the fact that the WWF is now called WWE.

-----------------------
Why did the WWF change their name to the WWE?
The WWF have been in a court battle with the World Wildlife Fund since 1994 over the rights to the "WWF" initials. Both parties came to an agreement in which the World Wrestling Federation would use the "WWF" intials for limited use only. However, with the WWF becoming insanely popular in the late '90s the "limited use" agreement became a hard thing to obey which caused the World Wildlife Fund to take the WWF to court yet again.

As they years went by it appeared as if the World Wrestling Federation would overcome the court battle and not have to deal with the matter anymore. The court battle became very intense in late 2001 which many thought the World Wildlife Fund would win but only get writes to the "wwf.com" domain name.

Then in early May of 2002, the judge ruled in favor of the World Wildlife Fund for the rights to the "WWF" initials. Many believe the reason the judge ruled in favor of the World Wildlife Fund was due to the fact that the organization had been founded in 1961 while the World Wrestling Federation changed to the "WWF" initials in 1979. The WWF then changed their name to the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) as a result of losing the case.

The official website for the WWE can now be found at WWE.com instead of WWF.com.

jmac - the size of the tank in the car is limited. Fuel management has to do with whether the driver has to come in for more at a critical moment.

The Aussies hava a great and very popular race series - called Saloon series maybe? The idea is much more like the original Nascar than Nascar is today, except there they run on road courses. The cars are based on full-size production cars - substantially modified of course - but are recognizable as having begun life as a production car.

Close, take-no-prisoners racing, and great appeal to casual race fans. Its on Speed channel once in a while.

quote:

Originally posted by biomed_eng_2000:
How about giving the teams a limited amount of 93 octane fuel during each race, i.e. number of gallons equivalent to x mpg for a given distance race. And then let them do whatever they want in regards to engine size, number of cylinders, supercharging, turbocharging.

The cars are already limited to a set amount of fuel for each car. Don't you ever watch a race? They're always talking about the subject and the chance of running out of fuel, which sometimes happens during a race.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:

quote:

Originally posted by biomed_eng_2000:

The cars are already limited to a set amount of fuel for each car. Don't you ever watch a race? They're always talking about the subject and the chance of running out of fuel, which sometimes happens during a race.

I think he's referring to a fuel rig with a limited amount of gas for each team, not the size of the fuel tank in the car. Kind of what they use (or used to use) at the Indy 500.

quote:

Originally posted by Audity:
jmac - the size of the tank in the car is limited. Fuel management has to do with whether the driver has to come in for more at a critical moment.

The Aussies hava a great and very popular race series - called Saloon series maybe? The idea is much more like the original Nascar than Nascar is today, except there they run on road courses. The cars are based on full-size production cars - substantially modified of course - but are recognizable as having begun life as a production car.

Close, take-no-prisoners racing, and great appeal to casual race fans. Its on Speed channel once in a while.

The V8 Supercar series. Great cars and racing. For some reason Speed Channel didn't cover it this year or I just missed it everytime it was on.
frown.gif

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

Ford and Holden (GM) in Oz also make RWD V8 chassis's don't they?
What do we have?

quote:

Ford and Holden (GM) in Oz also make RWD V8 chassis's don't they?
What do we have?

GM brought in the GTO from Oz. Had it not looked like a Grand Am it might have sold well. From Ford we get... Fusions from Mexico...

si, mon.
But in Oz they have the 4-door Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon, both with V8's.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:

They are bought stock, and THEN modified.

Or admit that you just aren't into stock car racing.

Bought stock from where? They are custom built race cars from the ground up, nothing in them even resembles a current production sedan.

I'm not into the "WWE" of racing.

the "silhouette" "resembles" a stock car doesn't it?
wink.gif

I agree, roundy-round is boring, hence the t-shirt.
 -

It's truly amazing to me that people actually think there's stock stuff in "stockcars".
Think about it fellas, they're taking a FWD sedan with a V6, sticking a V8 in it, and making it RWD.
What are the odds of being able to do that without cutting out most of the stock floorpan?
If. If, they did started with a stock body...

Didya know the headlights were painted on?
onto a 1-piece composite body...

quote:

the "silhouette" "resembles" a stock car doesn't it?
wink.gif

I agree, roundy-round is boring, hence the t-shirt.
 -

It's truly amazing to me that people actually think there's stock stuff in "stockcars".
Think about it fellas, they're taking a FWD sedan with a V6, sticking a V8 in it, and making it RWD.
What are the odds of being able to do that without cutting out most of the stock floorpan?
If. If, they did started with a stock body...

Didya know the headlights were painted on?
onto a 1-piece composite body...

I don't think too many NASCAR fans believe there is a lot of original factory parts in the cars, but some may. The vast majority of fans realize they are specially built racing machines.

The "headlights" are not painted on. They're decals. So are the "taillights".

The bodies are not one-piece composite anything. They are hand made, a panel at a time, out of sheet metal. The only "composite" material are the nose and tail pieces, sourced from NASCAR-approved suppliers.

It's OK to think NASCAR is boring but at least have two clues before you publicly criticize something.

The top three divisions (NEXTEL Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck) all custom fabricate their bodies out of sheet metal. My response was in reference to the 1st post in this thread which discussed Truck and Cup.

The only NASCAR series that can use composite bodies like you linked is AutoZone Elite, and they're allowed to run either composite *or* steel.

Dodge Weekly and Modified Touring are exempt from my comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back