Thoughts on GM Vortec 4200 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The police in the USVI use chevy trailblazers (with 4200s of course) as their police vehicles. They seem to hold up well.

USVI severe service puts more or less any severe service we have here in the states to shame.

JMH

Decided against a caddy STS, thanks to some insight offered here. Test drove an Olds 2002 Bravada with the 4.2 engine. Really a nice vehicle. Any thoughs, negative or positive on this vehicle? It's got 72k miles on it but is in very good shape.

Thanks.

The Bravada has the 4.3 V6. The only real issue with the engines are the intake gaskets. Other than that they run for a long, long time.

I personally dont care for the full time AWD systems used on the GMT-360 chassis (hi end TB's bravada's, envoy, rainier, etc..). It's expensive, complicated and not as commonly used as the part time 4x4 system for this chassis. The 4L60E trannys are used throughout. Parts, service and knowledge are plentiful for them. Sad thing about the vortec 4.2L I6 is, it looks as if the last year for it will be ~2008. GM is ousting the GMT-360 (med sized, full framed, truck based PT 4x4/AWD SUV) This is the only vehicle this engine is used in. It wont fit in much else.
frown.gif

G/luck
Joel

If they would just use it as the base engine in the 1500 trucks and the top of the line engine for the Colorado it would make alot of people happy including myself

From what I've read, the smartrack system used in the Bravada uses rear wheel drive until slippage occurs. Then the AWD system takes over. From the reviews I've found on line, owners of the Bravada like their vehicle and the engine sounds solid. Thanks for everyone's input.

quote:

Originally posted by therealdeal770:
If they would just use it as the base engine in the 1500 trucks and the top of the line engine for the Colorado it would make alot of people happy including myself

The I6 will NOT fit in the Colorado. The engine itself is too big for the engine bay.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
Sad thing about the vortec 4.2L I6 is, it looks as if the last year for it will be ~2008. GM is ousting the GMT-360 (med sized, full framed, truck based PT 4x4/AWD SUV) This is the only vehicle this engine is used in. It wont fit in much else.
frown.gif

G/luck
Joel

They are not killing the GMT-360 or the 4.2L I6. The I6 has been on the Ward's Top 10 engines list like 4 times. I highly doubt they would even think of killing off an engine with those kind of awards. GM is basically putting it on the back burner so they can do more important things. They did the same thing with the Zeta platform. Everybody bitched b/c they thought Zeta was cancelled, but that was not the case.

Those wanting bigger engines are in the minority these days. What's in my Colorado (3.5-5) gets up & goes pretty well. Folks buy bigger trucks if what you need to pull makes the Colorado sluggish. If the Colorado can't keep up, that means you bought the wrong-size truck. No need for alny of the auto makers to make these smaller pickups like race cars.

Triple_Se7en,

You're exactly right. People love to ***** about GM's big trucks and their use of thirsty V8's. But when they try to throw an efficient engine in their compact/mid-size pick-up, people still *****.

My dad has an '04 Colorado and I think the 3.5L I5 is great. Good gas mileage and it has plenty of power. For 2007, they are upping the liters and power in both the Colorado/Canyon I4 & I5. The I5 will go from a 3.5L to a 3.7L and put out about 240hp (vs. 220hp currently I believe).

People want the Colorado to be a full-size truck, but it's not. I think the size is pretty much perfect. Trucks like the Toyota Tacoma seem too big to the point that they are almost full-size trucks and that is, I believe, where people get the idea about the Colorado being too small and underpowered.

If you want/need full-size truck capabilities, don't buy a Colorado. It's not a full-size pick-up.

Well, I did it, I bought the Bravada. Picking it up tomorrow. Of course, this means an oil change in it's future :). Do these engines really take 7 quarts of oil? I see it's spec'd for 5w30.

Congrats! I think you have a nice vehicle on your hands.

Yes, they indeed do take 7qts. My best friend has a TB and he confirmed that. What's nice about that though is that your OCI's can be longer since you have more oil in there to use up. His OLM typically doesn't show the "Change Oil" light until after 10K. He strickly follows it and his I6 runs great.

He's currently running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it runs as good as it's ever run.

Thanks mshu7! I figured the way I drive, this is a twice a year change for me following the computer. I'm looking forward to this vehicle.

I have a lot of M1, Havoline Syn. & Valvoline Syn & HM Syn I picked up a year or so ago on clearance. I may run a quick cleaning blend for a couple of months, change it out, then get it ready for fall/winter. I'll likely run M1 for fall/winter, then maybe the Havoline for spring/summer. I usually use NAPA gold Filters or Pure1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back