Recommendation for painting trailer hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to paint my '95 K1500's OEM trailer hitch. It is in good shape, with some slight rust.

What should I use to cover the rust to help stop it from spreading.

I have seem some "stop rust" type products at Wal-Mart. What do yall recommend?

I already bought some aerosol grey primer, and some Rustoleum SemiGloss black aerosol paint.

Will the grey primer work, or should I get some the "stop rust" stuff?

I live on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, and the truck sees beach duty, so it is exposed to much salt.

Thanks.

if this is the same stuff as that primer yo ucan buy. that is suppose to change the rust and make it part of the primer. I heard its good. but if you want it nice ans smooth. get a wire brush on a drill and sand it down. then primer. then paint.

The "stuff" you have in spray cans won't do anything for long term protection. You need to get some speciality paint like POR-15 or Eastwood's "Corroless" (sp?). Both can be painted right over rust(after you remove the scale). You can pretty much hit it with a hammer after it dries and it won't chip off.

The real solution is to have it powdercoated, but that would probably cost more than the hitch is worth.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ300H:
The "stuff" you have in spray cans won't do anything for long term protection. You need to get some speciality paint like POR-15 or Eastwood's "Corroless" (sp?). Both can be painted right over rust(after you remove the scale). You can pretty much hit it with a hammer after it dries and it won't chip off.

The real solution is to have it powdercoated, but that would probably cost more than the hitch is worth.

POR-15 is great. I did the underside of my Jeep and the trailer hitch last fall. Good stuff even if on the pricey side. Recommended.
patriot.gif

I just Krylon mine every few years.

But I do have some POR15 laying around that I'm going to use on my cars rust spots. I got it off ebay for dirt cheap.

No you cannot get it OTC.

agree on POR-15... great stuff. Id wait until the summertime or humid season, as it likes a bit of moisture to get an optimal cure... also, youll need to coat it with another paint, as the cured product is UV sensitive... even undercoating would work, but a matte black paint mightbe your best choice.

Be sure to prep and scrape the surfaces before using POR.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back