Time for service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was approached by someone about having their 2 year old Accord serviced. The car now has just over 20k miles on it and he was wondering if it needed an oil change or service of some kind. I sent him to a local Honda garage with a good rep and said he should talk to them and 'catch up' on maintenance and that it might cost more than usual in his case. This got me to thinking, cars today are pretty well designed and built. This car owner has a car and has no clue about how to take care of it. I wonder if he ever got a check engine light and just ignored it. One thing he did do was buy a car wash and detail ticket so he could take his car in every week for a wash, wax and vacuum. And the car looked like new when I saw it. I guess some car owners have a different focus on how to maintain their car. I wonder what his service bill will be, to catch up.

"I guess some car owners have a different focus on how to maintain their car."

That's a nice way of saying that the person is a total flaming idiot, and should be taken out to pasture and shot.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I wonder what his service bill will be, to catch up.

About $30 for an oil change, as the first service interval is at 30k. Or 60k in his case. You don't think it still had the factory fill, do you? How did you resist the temptation to pull his dipstick? Mmm, caramel...

This is exactly why the 2006 Honda Accord has a maintenance reminder light which includes a simle oil life monitor.

The car only needs an oil change and likely some tires as they have never been rotated and are scrubbed possibly.

Not to hijack the thread (though I will
smile.gif
), but I found this interesting article a few days ago. The last paragraph is food for thought.

"According to a consumer survey conducted by the Tune-Up Manufacturer's Institute, here's what people think a tune-up should include:

New spark plugs (87%)
Oil change (34%)
New air filter (32%)
New ignition wires (19%)
Timing adjustment (16%)
New fuel filter (14%)
New PCV valve ( 7%)
New distributor cap ( 5%)
New rotor ( 4%)

So what do you usually get? Here's the list of items professional mechanics say are usually included in a tune-up:

Spark plugs (91%)
Fuel filter (64%)
Air filter (59%)
Rotor (41%) if needed
PCV valve (37%)
Distributor cap (31%) if needed
Ignition wires (28%) if needed
Check timing (24%) adjust only if needed
Carburetor adjustment(20%) only if needed
Oil change (10%)
Engine analysis ( 6%)

One difference between these two lists that's worth noting is that many consumers think an oil change is part of a tune-up, not a separate maintenance service. Maybe that's why people don't change their oil often enough."

Cars are too cheap today. (Compared to income) In the old days, a car was such a huge expense that people made darn sure they took care of it.

Nowadays, apparently some people consider it a throwaway item and have enough income that they can treat it as such. As long as their "status symbol" looks good.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
Cars are too cheap today. (Compared to income) In the old days, a car was such a huge expense that people made darn sure they took care of it.

Nowadays, apparently some people consider it a throwaway item and have enough income that they can treat it as such. As long as their "status symbol" looks good.

Cars in the old days would not run without regular attention and even with that did not last as long as long as taken care of car now.

Cars now only require regular fluid changes (mostly oil) and have final large mainteance at the 100k mark.

Well, so much of it is "check" this or that. Hyundai expects the car back at 15K ($179.00), 30K ($370.00), 45K ($179 again), and 60 K is a big one, timing belt and 30K service ("somewhere around $700.00" so they said). They want it back every 15K regardless, and those prices don't include the stuff they "find" wrong, such as brake pads, serpentine belts, plug wires and other parts including the labor to install them.

The implication being, of course, that only the Stealership has the know-how to maintain the car sufficiently, thereby keeping the 100K warranty in force. If you follow their schedule, you wind up buying the car again, by the time you add it all up. That 100K bumper-to-bumper warranty is a license to rape, I tell ya.

Wow, you're right about the hidden costs with the Hyundai. There would also be oil change expenses in addition to what you've listed. You're paying for that warranty all right. Probably best to think of it as a forced purchase of an extended warranty. Even in that light its expensive. 120k warranty on my civic was about $700. So far at 20k miles, I've spent just over $100 total on maintnenance, 4 dealer oil changes.

I wonder if the auto industry is moving to freeze out the independent mechanic for regular maintenance. If so, then extending the warranty is a license to steel. It's not the cost of routine stuff, but the extra stuff that a dealer will find on your car. It's almost a slam dunk to add a few things, here and there. Who's going to stop the process and go somewhere else, not many, I imagine. And with Service Writers making a commission on the work you're bound to loose. Another problem, these Service Writers usually don't know much about their job other than a canned sales pitch. Just yesterday a friend called the dealer to find out what viscosity was called for in his 2006 Nissan and was told 10w-40. We checked and in the service manual and everywhere else it states, 5w-30. And this is the guy you might turn your car over to for service and repairs?

quote:

That's a nice way of saying that the person is a total flaming idiot, and should be taken out to pasture and shot. [/QB]

GoldenRod, you never cease to make me laugh out loud...

lol.gif
lol.gif
grin.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

GoldenRod was being diplomatic. If that "friend" were an acquaintance of mine asking advice, I'd have told him/her to drive the car back to the dealership, hand the general manager the keys, and ask him to take it back. If the GM asks why, tell 'im you're too freakin' stupid to own a car.

The OP is correct and polite.

People avoid going to the doctors because they're afraid of having cancer or whatever. Or the doctor is rude about that person being overweight.

Some people just don't like "dealing with" mechanics. Part of that is the haggle of "what I need" vs the emotion of "you don't want to break down or get in an accident".

It's hard to get an honest answer. Well written owner's manuals explain service intervals and the importance of the "check engine" light.

Cars are about the only things many actually have to maintain. They probably live in condos and have "the association" do all the repairs to the furnace, roof etc. So they just don't get it.

Look at the stupid meineke ad where the guy is driving to the stadium and his car breaks down. He kicks a tire and there's steam coming from the hood. Then they offer brake pads for 29.95. Huh?

Talked to a Honda Master Tech and he did no know what it meant, in the old days, when a tune up included points and a condensor. So I did not bother to ask him if he had a dwell meter. Some things can make you feel old.....

Most people never change there oil. I pull a lot of motors down and I swear they have the oil in them that came in them from the factory. They die of black death.

The Hyundai dealer services are expensive, but you are also paying $75/hr + dealer pricing on parts for that service! Much of these services are inspections too.

I think the 30K service is oil change, plugs, air filter, brake inspection, and maybe a fluid change if you have an auto tranny (same price if you don't have an auto tranny). The big one at 60K is all of this and the timing belt. Most of these things I've done myself for very little cost.

But, if you don't know anything about cars, you're stuck with the dealer servicing.

Timing belts...the ultimate ripoff. After the disaster with my 94 Eclipse and my mom's 85 Accord, nothing with a belt will adorn my garage. The performance aspect of belts vs. chains are lost on me, so it must be a matter of manufacturing costs. I'm glad that a lot of manufacturers are following Nissan's lead in the abolishment of the timing belt.

As for dealer-recommended services at 15K, 30K, etc....fleecing the car-buying public. My brakes better not need an inspection at 15K, and same goes for belts and hoses. I'm a firm believer in frequent oil changes, replacing AT fluid on time and keeping the engine's coolant fresh - and using high quality fluids in doing so. What I don't believe in is having the minute details of my car 'inspected' every 15,000 miles in an effort to line the pockets of the Service Manager and Genaral Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back