How reliable is Ford's 4.0L V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had any experiances with Fords 4.0L engines, specifically the OHC versions? How reliable are these motors? I was just given a '95 Ford Explorer, and was wondering what parts are prone to failure, hopefully it's not prone to cracked heads like the 2.9L. All I have replaced so far is a stuck open thermostat, and the fuel filter.

My buddy has a ranger with the 4.0 v6 and has has the heads of many times, I believe because of cracks in the head.

If its a SOHC , intake manifold leaks and timing chain tensioners(rattle). We have about 50 trucks with the SOHC 4.0 at work and 40 have been to warranty for both of the above.So far no cyl head probs. Thank goodness for the 3 year 60k warranty. Strong running engines though, but troublesome. The DOHC is a lot better.

Sorry guys in my post I mentioned the OHC I mistyped, what i really want to know about is the OHV engines, sorry for the confusion

There is not a DOHC 4.0 V6 to my knowledge. There is a SOHC, one cam in each head. This is the current production 4.0 used in the Explorer/Ranger/Mustang lineups. There is a 4.6 DOHC engine, but has nothing other than the 4 in common with the SOHC 4.0 V6.

The SOHC 4.0 has a very stout bottom end and has a lot of potentail. The intake leaves something to be desired, but I haven't had any issues yet with any of the ones I deal with. The OHC 4.0 has more economical performance parts and is also a good engine. Nothing is without design flaws.

Check out Super Six Motor Sports for hotrod 4.0 parts.

Drove one at work with 250k.. it was a 2001 and this was in 2003. The only thing that died on it was the water pump. Security companies are good test on trucks/cars.

The 4.0L in your 95 is not a SOHC 4.0L motor.

They a very stout engine thatwill give you years of trouble free operation if it isn't neglected.

My bad, SOHC only, thanks 1040, was thinking of the OHC. Neither has the durability or proven design of the 3.0 vulcan, IMHO.

Worry about the transmission behind it.

The transmissions in explorers and rangers behind those 4.0L engines were known to fail at around 120k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:

The transmissions in explorers and rangers behind those 4.0L engines were known to fail at around 120k miles.

That is one of the reasons I'm currently using Auto-Rx in the transmission, and then switching to SF Autoglide.

pretty **** reliable i would say

Mine has 140,000 thousand miles and runs strong no coolant-consuming issues although it does leak oil

my brother's ranger with the 4.0 has 212,000 miles, no coolant loss, burns 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles and runs strong.

the early 90's didn't have the greatest heads, but they were ok as long as you didn't overheat the motor, then they would start using coolant
i've heard some problems with the intake gaskets, but i never had the issue with mine or known of anyone who's had problems.

quote:

Originally posted by bigwillie:

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:

That is one of the reasons I'm currently using Auto-Rx in the transmission, and then switching to SF Autoglide.

I went with Amsoil ATF at 13K miles in my '05.

some ways of pro-longing.

i added a secondary cooler next to the factory cooler....and i added and Auxilary spin-on filter to help clean the fluid clean and particle free

fluid was red when i bought it at 95,000 miles, i've dropped the pan twice since then, and now i change the auxilary filter every other oil change, with 140,000 miles the fluid is still red, i dunno if its the original transmission though.

Overall very reliable.. the SOHC version has a couple more issues but is pretty stout.

The vulcan is a SLUG, less power than the 4-bangers
worse mileage than the 4.0, no knock sensor..
the list goes on.. however they are very reliable
in stock form.

Rand

The subject comes up often on a Ranger board where I'm a moderator. The 4.0 OHV is pretty much a tank other than the occasional head gasket failure around 100k. If the coolant has been changed regularly that will minimize that tendency. Puts out a lot of torque down low.
I'm on my second truck with the 4.0 SOHC but I don't keep them long enough to develop problems.
grin.gif
45k on the first one, 19k so far on this one, no issues. Run well, good power, use lotsa gas.
My first Ranger was a '99 4x4, 3.0/stick. Total slug but great on gas for a 4x4. The 3.0 Vulcan is okay in a Taurus but a gutless wonder in a heavier truck. The 3.0 however is one of the cockroaches of the automotive world, virtually maintenance free and impossible to kill.
My wife has one in her Taurus wagon now. Pulling out into traffic is an adventure.
"Floor it, Judy!"--my son
"I am, I am!"--Judy
lol.gif

More info at www.therangerstation.com

The ranger station is a great ranger site..
I frequent www.ranger-forums.com or
www.offroadrangers.com
mostly..

Now if my front ******* pinion seal would just hold
up as well as my 4.0... of course its had the timing chain done on it.. but otherwise its been good.

(2001-2002) had tsb for rattling timing chain.

FR EAKing is *** out? doh

Any opinion on this transmission post from a Explorer forum?

Quote:
The cause of the problem was the catalytic converter being too close to the tranny and overheating the fluid.

The cat is very close to the trans in these Explorers. I was concerned about this when I first bought mine, so I installed a heat shield. It's made of polished aluminum and sold by Summitt Racing, and attaches to the cat with large clamps. Can't say how much cooler it actually runs, but the shield has to help somewhat......

[ April 07, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back