GM Vortec 4.2L inline 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wish that I'd known how great of a vehicle the Trailblazers are and how well everyone seems to think of them when I was wanting to get rid of it back in August.

I traded the thing in on fear that if I would have tried to sell it outright, I would STILL be sitting on it.

Anyway, GM probably would have made another sale on me if they would have worked with me on it and let us get into a Tahoe or Suburban.

But thank goodness they decided to shun us and we traded for an Accord. Both me and my wife are beyond pleased with the Accord. It's quiet, has more power and torque than the TB, and gets almost 200% better fuel mileage.

Yes, I will say it has more power, in the application the TB was being used for- daily driving. We live on a (small) mountain and drive a 8-9% grade daily. The TB struggled to get up the hill and would generally run 3500 rpm. The Accord runs 3500 rpm, but you can barely hear it and burns about 50% less fuel in doing so.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
..But thank goodness they decided to shun us and we traded for an Accord. Both me and my wife are beyond pleased with the Accord. It's quiet, has more power and torque than the TB, and gets almost 200% better fuel mileage...

Comparing a TB to an accord? Could this possibly be more apples to oranges?
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif

Joel

Yep, I am comparing it to an Accord.

The Accord is doing the same thing the TB was. Taking my wife to work and transporting 3 other people to a dinner out or shopping once a week.

Exactly what 98% of all the other gas-guzzling SUVs out there are doing.

And yes, the Accord has MORE power to climb that hill and is quieter and gets better fuel mileage.

And there's ZERO recalls on the Honda, there's no Mickey-mouse solution of re-programming the fan clutch (cause there ain't one) to reduce excessive downshifting and "noise".

Yeah. GM actually issued a TSB on "re-programming" the fan clutch in order to make an adjustment on shift points in the transmission.

You guys didn't mention anything about the inline 5 that's in the Chevy Colorado. That must mean it's an outstanding motor.
grin.gif

Actually Goldenrod... the whole Colorado - inside & out - is like night & day compared to the old S-10. Rides like a nice sedan - handles like a sports car & gets some car-like gas mileage.

These new medium-sized P/U's that drive like cars are not intended for heavy duty pound-use anymore.

From an engineering perspective the Atlas LL8 I6 is actually a very well designed engine. The problem is the fact that GM doesn't give it the proper gearing. My 2.0 Inline-4 eats V6 equiped cars all the time because it makes power and has the proper gearing to back it up.

I have nothing but praise for the GM Atlas engines. Now they just need to dump the current LM, LT, and LQ bull crap and everything else would fall into place.

Mr. Hooks: I'm no big GM lover (nor a hater), but I'm baffled by your posts. Most of the complaints you're mentioning seem to be things that you could (and perhaps ahem, should) have picked up on if and when you test drove the vehicle. I've tried a TB or two out of curiosity (and one rental, I think), and I sort of figured that the "lighter" duty folks would buy the I-6 versions, while the towing crowd (and those who are just addicted to torque, like me...), would go for the V-8. If you're sensitive to torque, respectfully, why on earth did you opt for an I-6 extended version??? Generally, I think the vehicle is better than you're giving it credit for.

Back to the general subject: I've seen several references to cracked pistons in the 4.2L I-6, early versions, IIRC. Internet and car mags, and I didn't do any verification as it's not an issue of interest to me. Anyone else hear of this issue?

It was a minor design flaw from an improper cooling gradient that occured. One side got hot and the other didn't. I don't remember exactly, but I think they fixed the flaw recently. That is, if we're talking about the same thing...

Thooks:

Just curiosity, but after you rid yourself of your four-wheeled nemesis, what did you replace it with? I'm not trying to pick on you, but it would be interesting to compare what satsifies (assuming you're happier with what you've got now) a torque-sensitive owner with what obviously does not. It's largely academic for me (my G35 is not torque-challenged, at least IMO), but there may be a reader to two out there who, like you were, is looking for something that makes them happier than the subject I-6.
cheers.gif

The issue on a few '02 TB's was cracking cylinder liners. We are a medium sized (9-11 million dollar inventory) Chevy-Buick dealer, I seem to recall we have seen 3-4 of them, in each case a new long block engine was provided by GM. I personally love the way they drive, but the mileage is no better than my '96 G-1500 Van so I'm not about to give up the space.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Thooks:

Just curiosity, but after you rid yourself of your four-wheeled nemesis, what did you replace it with?

2005 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder, 5 speed AT.

I've explained this earlier in this thread. 90% of the Trailblazer's work was carrying my wife back and forth to work everyday, about 5 miles one way. She might also make 2 other trips in town a day, consisting of less than 10 miles round trip.

The other 10% of the time was hauling me, her and one or two kids to dinner, the mall, store, etc.

At the time, I drove a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado with the 5.3L engine. A fine vehicle. Ran like a scalded dog, spit out some darn good fuel economy and was very quiet, IMO. It would also not need to downshift into 3rd gear to accomodate a 2 MPH increase on the cruise control on a flat portion of an interstate highway. Can't say the same for the TB.

At the time we purchased the TB, it was Sep 2003. We bought a 2003 year model. Those were scarce. Models with the 5.3L engine were very scarce. Our dealer didn't even have one, 2003 or 2004 model. I've only seen TWO on the road, anyway. How do I know the diiference? The 4.2L engine's muffler sticks out like a sore thumb at the rear of the vehicle. The models with the 5300, you can't see the muffler. Plus, it has the sound of the 5300.

I even tried to find one in August of 2005 before we just decided to get rid of it. I couldn't find one with a 5.3L in Alabama or Rome, GA.

Inside, it was a great vehicle. One night we piled about $150 of groceries, two kids bicycles, two kids and two adults in it with no problem. It was a great grocery getter.

We can keep talking about this thing. Doesn't matter to me. Like I said before, if GM and the local dealer would have worked with me, I wouldn't be so negative about it. I was an usatisfied customer. That TB was my 4th vehicle at the same Chevy dealer in 5 years. Combined with my wife, it was the 6th. And evidently the last. Their loss.

And to say it once again, the Honda does have more torgue for what it is. It climbs Lookout Mountain much better than the TB could. In fact, the Honda will go much faster up the road than I am confortable with at times.

And the Accord is not as light as you would think. I think the curb weight is 3500 lbs or so. I believe the TB hit at 4500 or so.

Anyway, it's not just the power, torque, fuel mileage or quietness of the Honda. It's a whole different class of vehicle and manufacturer, IMO. The Accord reaks of quality.

An interesting comparison. From the sounds of it, you've now got a vehicle that's far better suited to serving your typical "mission". Enjoy.

p.s. So, real humans actually live in Fort Payne???
wink.gif
The FP exit is a frequent gas stop for me whey I'm driving the interstate. Despite having stopped there for gas at least a dozen times, probably more, this thread is the first form of contact I've had with someone from Fort Payne. . .
cheers.gif

You've probably bought fuel from a store that is owned by the company my wife works for then. Pretty high chance.

You might have even layed your eyes on the vehicle in question!

Yup, real folks live here. This is a nice area. Too bad the local economy is hurting due to CAFTA, NAFTA, China, etc.

Hey, drove through Fort Payne, AL myself back in '93 with our then fairly new '91 Rodeo.

My all time favorite country group - known as the "Group of the Decade" is from there. I'll give you two guesses, but you'll only need one??

The Alabama Band members still live here. One of them (Jeff) lives about 3/4 of a mile from me. His 'house' is for sale. $4.9M. I wish he would sell it. I think my property value would increase just a touch.
wink.gif

You see them (and their families) at the stores, restaurants, etc. out in town all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back