A must read about mixing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read anything there that suggests mixing passenger/gasoline dino & synthetic from the same oil manufacturer is bad. Isn't multi-grade oils a mix? Isn't a syn-blend a mix? I have never read a bad home-made, same brand-name mix at the UOA Message Board here using passenger/gasoline oils.

I do not mix two different brands & I do not mix diesel oils anymore with gasoline oils. I do not go beyond the realm with extended miles OCIs either.

Where's the problem?

What they are saying in the document, is that when go to buy a synthetic blend oil; the chemical compounds and additives, are mixed together at the right ratios in the bottle.

They're also saying don't add motor oil to brake/hydraulic fluid. DUH!!! I'll continue to mix and match motor oils all day long. I usually don't do it because I think the mix is better than the mix components by themself, I do it cause I usually have one bottle of this and another bottle of that!

Yeah I was thinking about mixing up my own brew of synblend until I ran across that thread; now I'm thinking humm......maybe I shouldn't do that. Anyway, I posted that link just for FYI purposes; not necessarily my opinion.
wink.gif

Bla-bla-bla-bla.
Looks like the guy was under ressure to come up with an article for the magazine before the deadline. Not an ounce of technical information there.

Just be aware ..if you mix..your results could look as 'bad' as Ray's above (We should be so lucky.) :rolleytes:

Guess I'll continue to mix a quart of RedLine in with my regular oil (Since RedLine says its "compatible with petroleums and synthetics."
rolleyes.gif

Oh yea, don't use regular motor oil as "blinker fluid oil". Use regular "blinker fluid oil"
smile.gif

Actually, mixing is ok if you go over the details of your mixing plan with your mechanic and parts counterman at the local auto parts store. You can discuss the interactions caused by mixing different additive packages and their effect on seals and lubrication. Also check to see what they have to say about TBN support and the different methods used by various oils that you may choose for your mix. Also be sure to return with your uoa to verify what's happening in your engine. The advise that the sales people at Kraegan, Advance Autoparts, Napa, Pep Boys and other parts store can be the difference between just guessing and getting it done right. You should only mix oils after considering the complete chemistry of each package. The original package can always be improved for your specific situation. And, be sure to go back to your salesman to verify future uoa's are on track. After looking at the numbers, they may be able to advise you on adjusting the mixture for your next oil change. With all this help you sould be able to come up with something much better than just using the oil straight out of the bottle.

If your motor gets upset at the mix just throw in some anti-acid tablets (Tums). Should solve the problem.

I take no chances with mixing oil so I limit myself to mixing shampoo with average to good results but really don't wish to expand on here...

Maybe I should do a UHA (Used Hair Analysis)?
dunno.gif
gr_stretch.gif

SH? Amateur.
wink.gif

I filled up originally with Motomaster SL 5W30. I've lost a few quarts since then... I topped up with some old Motomaster SF (!) 10W30, then some SF 10W40, and now I found a bottle of GM SG 5W30 that's going in when it gets low again. I fear no oil.
freak2.gif

I mix & match oil in my wife's Expedition all the time. In theory, there MIGHT be a possibility of something narly happening from mixing, but in practice, it works like a charm in the Expy. I just stay with oils that are CLOSE to 5w30.
wink.gif

quote:

Another must read detailing my disastrous results from foolishly mixing five brands of motor oil in three API service designations...

lol.gif
That looks real bad
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back