Havoline dino up $1.45 at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The black Havoline jug with the race car on it has just jumped from 6.70 to 8.15 at my local Walmart. Noticing that the ST has jumped from 4.38 to 6.77 in a little over a month.

MC quarts are all at 2.07, TA still seems the bargain at 1.48. Guess I'll pick up a few of those.

*sigh*

Here's a tip: instead of warming your car up before you change your oil, just do it while it's cold. More oil will stay in your engine, and you won't have to buy as much to fill it up! $$$ in your pocket. Equally good is stealing 1 or 2 quarts from a neighbor, or anyone in this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=002969 They won't even know it's missing. I should have been a consultant.

They are probably trying to recoup their losses from the guy in the "Five Finger Discount" thread! Also, I read in the news that Walmart has changed their company policy to: "The savings do NOT get passed on to the customer".

Yep. Havoline used to be a great bang for the buck but I've been watching the price gap closing at a steady pace in the last year. Soon it will cost the same as Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.

I do have a serious question acutally; when you say the price has gone up, do you mean that JUST Havoline has gone up, or the price of engine oil in general in your area?

You still have Katrina to thank for this. Despite all the rosy upbeat words you're hearing through the media things are not normal out in the Gulf oil fields, or much of anywhere along the Gulf coast either for that matter.

It just went up sometime between the night of the 29th and morning of the 30th.

Well, in this thread about Havoline dino up $1.45 at Walmart, I'm referring to Havoline dino going up, but all one must do is look at the shelf to see in general all of them have increased in the last months.

Even the lowly ST is now over $2 more per jug than a month or two back.

**** the EP Mobil one stuff is now almost $26. TA was like $1.12 about 3-4 months back.

All base stocks and also Additives are still on the up swing not up every month as it was but still 5%-7% increments.

Example from memeory which is a bad thing

GP1 light neutral $2.00 gallon
GPII light neutral $2.75
GPIII light neutral $3.50
PAO Light grades $7.00 -$8.00
Esters various Poly $15.00-$18.00 gallon

bruce

Fred's has Havoline for $1.58 or at least it did the last time I was in there. It's been over a week so that price might not be right anymore.

On the other hand 5 qt bottles of Castrol Syntec 5w30 were just under $20 last night. I saw that Havoline price for 8.19 / 5 qts, but Rot T so called syn was 14.77/ gal, up a little more than $2.00 from over a year ago. Lets see trop artic was 1.48 / qt i think, and couldnt find any chevron PCMO, but at least they still had delo 15w40, hovering just under 9.00 a gal, like 2.50 more than I bought most of mine at. Looks like will have to start going to Sam;s again. And yep the ST was like 6.34 /5qt jug.
No M1 Tand SUV or any 5-40 in that line , but plenty of every thing else , all at 25 something in 5 qts. Since M1 ATf went to a dual rating Mercon V, I noticed Castrol ATf still had a straight Mercon fluid, might be handy to know for those of us with tranny's that say all over the place "no dual rated fluids allowed".
Though last time i got to know the owner of the valvoline lube joint and he had a couple of barrels of valvoline synthetic straight Mercon rated that i let him switch into the Tranny, and it has seemed to do great. I went and looked at the labels on the barrels even to make sure. There are few lube shops you would trust and this is one of two that I know of.

I've noticed the prices in the Walmarts in my area have gone up on all oils almost across the board. The best deal for synthetic is still the Castrol Syntec 5qt jugs as it breaks down to about 3.99 a quart wheras the qt on the shelf has gone over the 5 dollar mark. M1 has gone up to something like 5.63 but Pennz Plat has held at 4.52.

I bought some Syntec Blend about a month and a 1/2 ago for 2.56...now it is over 3 dollars
rolleyes.gif

Some other savings if you get oil at Walmart and use Castrol GTX is to buy it in the 6 pack special box...computes out to 1.66 a qt which beats their individual price of over 2 dollars.

The Havoline was out of Walmarts here for the longest time after Katrina....whn it did come back about 2 months ago it already was priced at 8.12 a jug...still a better deal than the 1.88 a qt price.

And despite all of these big price increases people out West can still get Chevron for .49 a quart?
confused.gif
Life isn't fair sometimes
frown.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back