Oil capacity Corolla vs Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 05 Corolla has a 3.7 liter oil capacity and I was surprised to read in my GF's new 06 Matrix XR's owner's manual that it has a 4.2 liter sump.
dunno.gif

I took a peek at both cars oil pans in the garage and they look exactly identical.

Those of you changing your oil on Matrixes/Vibes, how much do you use? Or did Toyota increase the oil capacity on the 1ZZ-FE for 06?

[ November 13, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Minou ]

Nope. Both came from the factory with the same small Toyota OEM 90915-YZZA2 (or could it be the new F2 on the 06?).

Does not the XR have the more powerful motor? I'd bet there is a oil cooler added and maybe a larger pan...
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill, you are refering to the XRS which comes with the 2ZZ-GE of the same displacement. And that motor indeed has a larger 4.4 liter sump.

offtopic.gif

Although it shows the base Vibe (05 MY) having an oil capacity (with filter) of 3.7 L I did get tired of saving back 300 or so mls. Last change I dumped in 4 full litres. Dipstick reads just the very slighest above the full mark.

I (Corolla) also got annoyed with leaving a little bit left in the 4th bottle, I switched to the larger filter and now 4 qts is perfect.

Thanks for the links and the pictures. The new F2 looks well built but at $7. CDN, I prefer to go with the Napa Golds 1396 that I picked up last spring for $6.18 ea.

On the subject of the total surface of filtering element of the Napa being less than the other filters, I contend that using the longer 1396 in the 1ZZ-FE might compensate somewhat for its smaller media surface vs the "small" Toyota A2, F2 or 1394.

I currently run the longer YZZA1 on my 05 Corolla 1ZZ-FE and the last one I have left will go on the Matrix's first oil change come spring. I will then use the 1396's that I have on my shelf and see if I can get the new YZZF1 at a good price next time I go to the US. If not, I will continue with the Napa Gold 1396.

As for the 06 Matrix's oil capacity, I will find out on its first oil change if Toyota really upsized the oil pan, which I doubt.

BTW, I will go a full year with the Toyota YZZA1 filter and 0W-30 Esso XD-3. I only have 3000 km since mid-April on this OCI and the car gets used no more than 2-3 days a week and sits in the garage the rest of the time. The car is on its 3rd OCI, after the OEM batch and a 5W-30 dino OCI.

Something I would have NEVER done before BITOG came to my rescue...

Best of all, I'm even saving money vs what I used to do and I know that I have the best oil and filter for the money.
grin.gif

I just bought an 06 Corolla and just did the first oil change today at the 900 mile mark.

I put in 4 qts of ST 5W30 and used an ST 4967 filter and it ended up just a notch below the full mark just like the factory fill did when I checked the oil when I first bough the car(both original OEM and ST filter are of indentical size btw).

Maybe Toyota did a small sump increase in 06 1ZZ-FE's afterall....

quote:

My 05 Corolla has a 3.7 liter oil capacity and I was surprised to read in my GF's new 06 Matrix XR's owner's manual that it has a 4.2 liter sump.

Could be referring to dry fill 4.2L. Drain & refill 3.7L.

park the two side by side on a level surface and switch dipsticks. This could be the only difference between them. Years ago Pontiac did this--66/67, these Pontiac V8's had a oil capacity of 7qts where all other years it was always 6. I found the only difference was in the dip sticks. I always used a dipstick out of a 67 and run 7qts in my GTO's, no matter which year.

Good idea gudmund. The cars are already parked side by side in the garage.

As for your comment Ken4, Toyota states 2 values;
With and without filter. And those numbers are 3.7/3.5 liters for my 05 1ZZ-FE and 4.2/4.0 liters for the 06.

Mistery solved...

I put both dipsticks side by side and they are the exact same length, except that the 06's low and full marks are both 1/2" higher on the stick.

Which seems to confirm my earlier observation that both sumps look exactly identical from under the vehicles.

Looks like Toyota increased the oil capacity of the 1ZZ-FE only by filling it with an additional 0.5 liter instead of bolting a bigger sump?

Is it then OK for the rest of us with earlier versions of the same engine to pour up to 4.2 liters in our engines without doing any harm? OTOH, can I just average things out a drop a 4 liter jug in each and forget it?
dunno.gif

Short of speaking to a Toyota engineer, did they do that to help with longer OCI's.

It seems the factory is still using 4 qts to fill the sump on 06 models(at least on my Corolla)even though it doesn't indicate full on the dipstick.

My owners manual indicates it takes 4qts with a drain and filter change,not 4.2 btw.

BTW,I don't necessarily agree that more oil in the sump is better.Oil that is good and hot with a good PCV system can keep the insides clean.More oil will only bring the temps down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back