best oil for a 93' Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of this past summer I bought a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0 HO, inline 6), it had low miles (67,000) and was taken very well care of with frequent oil changes. I love this truck and want it to last forever. The day after I bought it I changed the oil and put in Mobil1 15W-50. It was leaking a little oil at the rear motor seal so I thought the higher weight would drain slower. I replaced the seal a few months later and I still change the oil every 3,000 miles with Mobil1 15w-50.

Two questions: price isn't a big deal to me and I've been doing some delivery driving in it with frequent starts and stop and go traffic, is 3k changes too exessive for the synthetic? Is 15W-50 good oil for central Florida where its almost always hot?

Thanks

Edit: I just noticed the post about Mobil1 15W-50, sorry for posting this thread so soon after as it answers many of my questions..

[ January 19, 2004, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Charlie Popp ]

I have a '98 Cherokee with a 4.0 that I have recently had a very good UOA with M1 0W40 oil. I am currently giving Amsoil 5W30 ASL a try. As for using the M1 15W50 in the 4.0 it is a very good choice. The 4.0's seem to like a little heavier oil. I would stretch the drain interval out to 5000/6000 miles with the M1.

I have a 99 XJ and use 15W-50 Mobile in the summer and a mix of 50/50 15W-50 and 10W-30 Mobile in the winter around with a WIX or Purolater oversized filter...it seems to be very happy
grin.gif
...good choice of oil and viscosity for the 4.0L.

I have a 99 XJ and use 15W-50 Mobile in the summer and a mix of 50/50 15W-50 and 10W-30 Mobile in the winter around here with a WIX or Purolater oversized filter...it seems to be very happy
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
I have a 99 XJ and use 15W-50 Mobile in the summer and a mix of 50/50 15W-50 and 10W-30 Mobile in the winter around here with a WIX or Purolater oversized filter...it seems to be very happy
grin.gif

OPPS..posted twice
pat.gif

I ran M1 10w-30 in my '93 XJ when I had it. Sold it 5 months ago with 155,000 miles and didn't burn a drop of oil. But before I switched over to M1, I replaced my rear main seal since it was leaking a little. Some say I was a bit crazy for changing my oil every 3000 miles in that thing with M1 and a K&N oversize (HP-3001) filter, but money wasn't an issue for me and I just wanted the best for my jeep. Now I currently drive a '96 ZJ with a 5.2. Currently running chevron 10w-30 and a Baldwin B34 filter. I dont forsee myself running M1 in this Jeep. It seems to be pretty happy with chevron; it has 93,000 miles.

I would go with 10w40...that's what I use in my Jeep. It's more than thick enough and will give you better mileage over the 50 weight. Chrysler recommends 10w30 for this engine. You could use bacon grease in the crancase and it would still run forever.
smile.gif
The previous owner of mine used synthetic changed every 6000 miles. (I don't know the brand or weight) The engine now has nearly 200,000 miles on it and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. (not to mention the original rear main and water pump - two very common 100k failures) And yeah, if you're not already doing it, get the oversized oil filter. PL30001 or equivalent. I'm going to be installing dual remote oil filters myself...
wink.gif

Charlie, be sure to search the Used Oil Analysis - Gas Engines section of this forum using the word "Jeep" and/or "4.0" to see the results of many lab tests ... probably about a dozen or more.

The accompanying discussion may give you more insight into which oil to choose

For your application, I think one of the many 15W40s would be just about ideal.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

For Florida, that 15w50 is probably just fine in the old 4.0l. My '88 XJ shows 20w50 being fine at temps above 30 F.

Seems to be a consensus that while a 10w30 will serve these motors along time, the wear may or may not be a bit better using a 5w40 or 15w40 HDMO. I'd look for one of the good ones like Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac. Right now, I am using Shell Rotella T 5w40 in my '88 XJ with the 4.0, but I need that low number for cold starts. Should be back below zero tomorrow...

Since price isn't a big deal, you should consider installing a bypass filter. With frequent stops and starts, your TBN will drop relatively quickly if you don't remove the water that accumulates.

Check the bypass filter section of this website. There's some good information, and there are others with the same engine that you have using a bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back