Would a station wagon be considered an old man car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1987 Volvo wagon with 320,750 miles on her. It is a Turbo 4 cylinder with boost enhancements and a manual 5 speed. Heck Paul Newman and David Letterman have Volvo Station wagons. Are you going to tell Paul Newman that he is un-cool because he owns a station wagon. Here is the story on their special wagons.
grin.gif

Newman's own

Why should it matter what others think? If you're happy with it that's what counts. If others are so insecure that they wouldn't be caught in one, then let them live in their little worlds.

Buy it!

You didn't mention if it had the fake wood sides.
grin.gif

I had a Ciera sedan with the 3300; now a saturn wagon, and I think both are/were great cars.

Beware the gas tank, exhaust, and rear suspension are probably different on the wagon.

You can get a code from that CEL light with a paper clip; google before you go back there and make sure it's nothing serious. A 44 or 45 are exhaust lean/rich indicated which could be caused by a bunch of stuff, for example... not just a bad 02 sensor.

Wagons are awesome, I have a 95 Roadmaster wagon, and if anyone says it's an old mans car the LT1 will shut them up, as will the 5000lbs. tow rating
shocked.gif
. I also have a 96 Caprice sedan, much the same car but the wagon really is the better hauler, be it people or cargo. BTW I am only 27yo with no kids, the wagon has caused more than one friend ask if the wife is pregnant
lol.gif
, the woodgrain just adds to the sleeper effect for me, the rice at the dragstip won't know what hit em.
burnout.gif

As someone who has been driving old RWD Volvo wagons since I was in my early 20s...no, not all station wagons are uncool. However, you might be pushin' it with an Oldsmobile.
wink.gif

Sure, new modern up to date wagons like the Dodge Magnum, Subaru Outback, and many of the European offerings are "cool" cars, but I don't think this Olds would qualify as cool in most people's books. I have an older style RWD traditional american wagon, and have owned it for quite some time now. And believe me, I don't think in all my years of ownership has anyone ever called it a "cool" car. Not to say I don't get compliments, however they are almost always from older people who have nostalgic memories of big old American wagons and enjoy seeing one still in nice shape. That said, I still like my wagon for my own reasons, and I still enjoy driving it more than most modern vehicles.

I am not trying to convince you one way or the other. However, I think you might be slightly misguided if you think that an 1990 Cutlass Cruiser is a "cool" car. In fact, I doubt there are many cars in the $300 price range that would qualify as such. However, if you like it, and it will suite your needs, you surely can't go wrong for $300.

Hey ..before the invention of the SUV ..every upper middle class ..or even those who reached into upper class ..had something like a Kingswood Estate Wagon of some vintage. Perhaps not "cool" ..but certainly fashionable.

At one time driving a Chevy II was boring and drab too. Now many would give up their dental implants or bridge work to get their hands on one in any condition.

I would like this thing for the shear utility of getting something that is so out of vogue and making it functional.

The Dodge Magnum is considered cool i think...and its really nothing more than a glorified station wagon...

Back in the mid 70's i had a Dodge Station Wagon, stripped it down, dropped in a 440...went drag racing, car would surprise you....

darrell
sin city

You can boss that olds up by pulling the chrome grill off and spray painting it black.

-

My car actually had a pretty cool exhaust note... rather cammy, I'm sure you'd agree. Those uninitaited in the 3300 don't know its 200 lb ft of torque at an insanely low RPM.

Shocks are US$25/pr, cat-back exhaust $60 with new parts. Only the gas tank, new or used, is gonna cost you and be a pain in the butt.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
You can boss that olds up by pulling the chrome grill off and spray painting it black.

-

My car actually had a pretty cool exhaust note... rather cammy, I'm sure you'd agree. Those uninitaited in the 3300 don't know its 200 lb ft of torque at an insanely low RPM.

Shocks are US$25/pr, cat-back exhaust $60 with new parts. Only the gas tank, new or used, is gonna cost you and be a pain in the butt.

Yeah, that grill does look nice, something I'll definitely have to try. As for the torque, my 1990 Ciera SL's 3300 was rated for 185 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm. Maybe they changed in later years, I don't know. It did pull away from a stop light nicely though.

In my experiance people only laugh at wagons till they realize the pure utility they offer as well as better fuel ecomony than a truck or minivan with similar capacity. Guys at work laughed untill they saw the acreage of cargo room I have with the seats folded down. If I move the front seats ahead I can get 4X8 sheet goods in with the gate up and keep them dry. Lots of width to spare. Like I said before a 5000lbs. tow rating and an EPA highway rating of I believe 25mpg, and that is a 10 year old car, imagine what the oems could do if the masses didn't demand trucks.

Oh this pig is 260hp 330tq.(around 2400rpms I think) that is a V8 though and base curb weight is 4572lbs., still she is quicker than a lot of cars on the road.

Where I grew up, an "old mans car" was a heavier, luxury-loaded, bigger motor vehicle. Say, an Imperial over a Satellite. The Imperial didn't work as hard to eat up the highway miles, had a far better ride and likely better handling and brakes (before hitting the options list; and likely remained so even then). The "old man" had the bucks to spend on it, initially, and in service/fuel consumption, etc.

That said, there are no good or great wagons today to compare to the late 1960's Mopars. Todays are either too small, too slow or can't tow a decent trailer.

Modify one of those oldsters with gas shocks, FI, OD and a few other goodies and you'd run rings around most cars, especially all the SUVs out there that are at all comparable (any much shorter than a Suburban may not count).

The last of the half-decent ones was the '96 Chevy, even though it was hard pressed to do any "real" work with a 350 engine. Needed a mid or big block for the torque.

Uncool? I recall as a younger man leaving Dallas with a friend eastbound on I-20 in a '73 Chrysler (V8-440 4V, 3.23) at 95+ mph running 115-45 octane av gas. Had to slow down for traffic at one point, and was passing a brand-new Corvette (sticker on window still) during second gear re-acceleration. Before hitting third at 92 mph (WOT) that 'vette had given up trying to keep up, much less pass. Stuck the cruise back on at 105 mph.

Had nine guys plus some luggage on return trip, but traffic was heavier and kept getting caught behind a bunch of Grand Marquis'and such on their way back from LA Downs at 90-95. 460 pig Fords couldn't run worth a d@#$.

We've laughed about it now for over thirty years.

quote:

Originally posted by Area51:
Chevrolet dealers do not have new oldsmobiles Ever...or they would have been oldsmobile dealers, get the vin# and go to carfaxonline.com and get the real story on the vehicles past registrations, I believe you'll be glad you spent the 5 bucks or so. But, then again why would you want to spend any money on that TURD.

So Mr. Area51.... what do you drive? And what car do you know of that you can get for 300 bucks and still be reliable transportation....

I have owned a couple of station wagons. Of all things I had a Pinto Station wagon at one time. What a beater. I got it cheap, commuted to work and hualed lumber with it. It was on its last leg when I got it but it was well worth the money I spent on it for the transportation it provided me.

Buy it! Own it! Enjoy it! Big deal what other people think. I've owned all kinds of cars and trucks, (I think my number is somewhere in the 40's now) and I loved every one of them. The best ones were ones I paid $200 dollars or less. What counts is how you feel when you drive it. I had a buddy of mine bought an old wagon, (he paid $700 dollars for it). People got to razzing him about it and he was feeling bad. He and I were talking one night and I told him, "man, you keep driving that car, think of all the money you're saving. All those other people are making payments every month. You're putting your money in the bank." He said he had never thought of it that way before. That was two years ago and he's still driving that same car and just used that money he had been saving to put a down payment on a HOUSE. Good move brother
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back