Does bondo have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as i have a can of bondo that is about 8 years old. It has never been opened and has been inside and not in a cold garage in freezing weather. How can i tell if it is still ok to use?

It's probably pretty well separated. Mix it up real good and try some. If your sample cures right and acts OK, it's good.

If it doesn't, get some fresh hardener and try it again.

I worked at US Perogygen in Richmond, CA for a few months in 1964 between Air Force and College. I ran the machine that mixed most of the body filler hardener for the entire country.

The only variation between brands was the color pigment I dumped in the 2 or 3 cubic yard mixing machine. I remember 50 lbs or more of pigment in some of the batches. After about a month on the job I broke out in ahead to toe rash and got transfered to another operation.

Lovely place to work. I really pine for the good ol' days before the gumnt started interfering with all those wonderful businesses.

It's probably only going to be good for rough work. I have two old tins of the same age and there is chunks of stuff forming on the bottom of it. This isn't from putting a dirty putty knife back into the tin, it is doing it on its own. When you go to mix it do not dig down to the bottom, it'll ruin the stuff for sure.

Steve

I go along with the try it and see. Don't even bother with the hardener that came with it, it is likely gone. Most auto stores sell it separately.

I prefer something like Swiss Magic. It may not set up as quick, but it is a little tougher and less likely to fall out the first pot hole that sneaks up on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back