How long do struts usually last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 97 T-bird sport(which weighs about 3990 lbs), I still have the oem Motorcraft/Ford "sport" shocks (coil-over shocks, NOT struts), and they have 105k miles on them. The ride still feels fine, and I still haven't "felt" any need to change them. Those sports shocks are stiffer than the regular T-Bird shocks, so the car rides pretty stiff anyway.

I also have no idea when They "should" be changed...From what I've heard the oem T-bird shocks are very durable.

quote:

I've only replaced one set up OEM struts and shocks in 130k/11 years on one vehicle.

Same here.

quote:

So what kind of life can you expect from the typical aftermarket strut, such as the KYB GR2?

They should last as long, if not longer than the OEM shock. If it's the case of them being installed on a domestic car, they should last around 100k with average use.

quote:

Also shocks/struts wear out very slow. So its not like they work one day and don;t the next, it is a slow wear item.

Yep and when you replace them, you should notice a big difference in the way the car rides and handles.

They won't last too long if you tow a trailer or have two kids that are always in the back. Every once in a while I'll see a Rav4 go by with two people in the back and the wheels are at an awful angle. Rear shocks/springs just can't handle passengers in my experience.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
They won't last too long if you tow a trailer or have two kids that are always in the back. Every once in a while I'll see a Rav4 go by with two people in the back and the wheels are at an awful angle. Rear shocks/springs just can't handle passengers in my experience.

Steve

you think the rear suspension on a Rav4 is bad, take a look at any late model Nissan Altima, or the new nissan Quest. There is an extreme camber change with any weight in the rear.

This design, esp on a minivan (Quest), is poor in my opinion, because more negative camber means less tire contacting the road when going in a realatively straight line, and when you have the rear loaded with passangers, the last thing you need is less traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back