New 2004 Auto Quality Data- Interesting Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autooninfo.info/NAEd200410AutoRelUpdates.htm

quote:

Although Toyota's reliability values and trends remain impressive, there is reason for caution. Toyota's early 2001 Reliability Percentrank average, based on only one year of data, is .86, the lowest annual Reliability Percentrank average Toyota has ever had in the fourteen-year data history. It may be that Toyota's rapid growth about the globe is straining its ability to turn out products with what the Wall Street Journal recently termed "bulletproof reliability."

buster, just so you know Toyota is the largest auto manufacture in the world! Last years profits exceeded GM,Ford and DaimlerChryslers combined! I will agree though that their quality and durability have been slipping the last 10 years. I have been saying this for a long time.With that said they are still leaps and bounds ahead of their competition and are still in a postion to reel things back in before they get out of hand. We will see since they are going to be releaseing 32 new vechiles globely over the next 5 years includeing a super car to compete wint Enzo's and a replacement for old Supra.

Toyota might have run into a small glitch, but make no mistake......when it comes to reliability, Toyota is the brand ALL others are judge against.
Not Honda, not BMW, not Mercedes-Benz.......and certainly none of the big three!

I'm a fan of toyota also, but most of us don't buy a manufacturer, we buy a vehicle. IMO you have to look at the reliability record of the model your interested in, not just the brand. Looking at the individual models it seems all the manufactures have their good and bad models, even toyota. just my 02

Toyota continues to build plants outside of Japan and larger numbers of their vehicles are being made in these new plants. I wonder how much of their slipping quality is becausse of this...

Well some say it's not slipping but improving. One year's worth of data, which is what that was, doesn't prove anything. That was 2001 data. How about 2004?

I don't think that comparing country or maker is as useful as comparing model. They all seem to make turkeys, some more than others, and most seem to have a well regarded model. As an example the Ford F150 2wd consistently gets excellent marks by Consumer Reports, and Toyota recalled over 800k cars for faulty suspension parts in their 'ultra-reliable luxury cars'.

My 2003 Tunda is doing great. I have not had any problems so far, very pleased. The only problem I have is that the paint in the bed is not holding up as good as my 94 F-150 work truck.
grin.gif

What engine is in the Xb? Scion is a Toyota brand so I don't think you have anything to worry about. The Tc has the durable 2.4 Camry 4cyl in it so thats a safe bet.

Scion is just the Echo with mods. 1.5 liter engine. So far, lot's of fun to drive. It moves for a little lawnmower and has some torque at the high end in 5th. I don't have to downshift to pass at high speeds. It goes 80 comfortably.

Toyota makes great cars but if there as great as some say why did they have all those sludge monsters?

Here is some recent data I just read. Problems per 100 Cars for Toyota

2002- 196
2003- 207
2004- 214

Still industry leader, but all signs point to slipping as sales go up.

Question for JohnBrowning or anyone who might know, could you slip a little in initial quality but remain ahead in long term durability studies? I've always assumed that much can't be determined by IQ studies and that Long Term durability studies are what to focus on. Anyone have any idea?

Listening to the nationally syndicated call-in radio talk show: "Mr. Mechanic" (there are several using that moniker.... the one I am referring to is broadcast from New York City) that is hosted by a pro mechanic with many years experience I have heard him defend American vehicles when one looks at the long term. According to him American vehicles may appear to be shoddy when compared to Toyota et al but after the vehicle accumulates years and miles the American vehicle often tends to hold up in the long-run comparably to Toyota etc.

The radio show host gave some examples and he made me view American vehicles in a new light. He did state he was speaking in generalities.... that there are always exceptions.

Just sumpthin' to consider.

Bah. Just look at all the crap gizmos that are being put into modern vehicles. I'm surprised most function as well as they do. The days of the Beetle are over. Remember the Käfer? A pantyhose would take care of a broken belt and the radio was the most complicated electric component.
tongue.gif

I swear, if I didn't live in the city or if I had to drive on freeways, I'd get myself a VW 181, a Kübelwagen, a Thing. I really mean that.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Here is some recent data I just read. Problems per 100 Cars for Toyota

2002- 196
2003- 207
2004- 214

Still industry leader, but all signs point to slipping as sales go up.

you have to be careful looking at numbers like this. all sorts of things get included that don't effect long term reliability like nvh, sight lines, cupholders, seat comfort, etc... while it can be an indicator of vehicle quality, you also have to evaluate the market that buys a particular brand. my wife's toyota has the most minor random rattle in the dash. drives her nuts, but the car has been bulletproof. she's had the dealer look at it a couple times trying to chase down the noise, with no joy. she's really picky about that sort of thing. if she got a jd power survey she would tear them up.

quote:

you have to be careful looking at numbers like this. all sorts of things get included that don't effect long term reliability like nvh, sight lines, cupholders, seat comfort, etc... while it can be an indicator of vehicle quality,

There are differences between defects in manufacturing and defects in design.

Aside from all that ... I don't care for Japanese designed automotive products ..period. I don't like the design of my 3.0 Mitsu ..in spite of it's proven reliability and longevity. Aside from a few key products (the Z cars, the Miata, etc.) you can keep them all. I think that their current designers watched too much Anime during their tv time as kids. I look at an Element or the Scion equivalent ..and I get impressions of Pok-e-man.

I don't like to feel like that my car is "third world rated". Japanese designed cars are the most numerous auto in the third world because the third world is poor.

Peoploid cars. (sorry ..the blood sugar must be acting up.)

I dare to say that American long term reliability is considerably better than Japanese, but you have to watch what you buy. Certain models don't hold up well and the people who love to bash American cars will dwell on these models. I am a believer in the Chevy Cavalier and S-10 truck. My 1988 "Iron Duke" four cylinder S-10 outlasted many Nissans and Toyotas and after 250,000 miles looked better too. The last two Cavaliers I had were so reliable that I didn't even have a need to buy a service manual. Parts are at least half the cost to boot. You'll rarely see a Cavalier with the common Japanese problems like failed automatic transmissions, driveshaft problems, etc. And look at a Cavalier and a Lexus or Honda that's 10 years old and has been in a harsh northern climate. The "crappy American" car has less rust on it.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back