SAE and Metric tools question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know a whole lot about tools. My cheap 115 piece tool set says that its SAE and Metric. What is diference between Metric and SAE? I'm looking to buy a socket set that is hex shaped(6 sided). The ones that came with my tool set have a lot of sides and makes it easier to mess up the nuts/bolts. I asked around and many tell me that you need both kinds. So do I really need both or just one kind? They both look same to me. Thanks for your input.

If you are working on a relatively modern European or Japanese car then you probably only need the metric (mm) sizes.

If you are working on older American cars then you need SAE (fractional inch sizes) for sure.

Modern American cars tend to be mostly metric, but you will occassionally run into an SAE sized fasterer.

Most non-automotive stuff in the US is SAE, but more and more metric sized things show up when you go to assemble a Chinese made swing set, etc.

Your rounding problem probably has more to do with lack of precision in the low cost tools it sounds like you purchased than it does with 12 point vs. 6 point sockets.

Some good mid-priced brands of wrenches include Husky (Home Depot's brand), Craftsman and S-K.

A good hint that the sockets you are buying might not be of very high quality would be "Made in China". There is some well made stuff coming out of Taiwan, Korea and Japan, but most of the Chinese hand tools I've seen, especially of the no-name brands, leave much to be desired.

John

Metric is millimeter sockets and wrenches (5mm, 13mm, etc).

SAE is fractional inches sockets and wrenches (5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 3/4", etc.)

Think U.S. vs. the world...

Akin to us using inches, feet and such where everyone else uses centimeters, yards, etc.

Yes...get a set that has both SAE and metric sizes!

I've been very pleased with Stanley's new professional grade sets.

The good news is that Wal-Mart is actually carrying them now...solid, high-quality product at Wal-Mart prices!

quote:

Originally posted by lpcmidst128:
Snip....The ones that came with my tool set have a lot of sides and makes it easier to mess up the nuts/bolts. I asked around and many tell me that you need both kinds.snip....

-

I have encountered bolt heads that fit the 12 point sockets, but very seldom, and I think on mostly older stuff. So what is the advantage of 12 point sockets? There are times when you must patently work something loose with a box wrench one point at a time, but usually with a socket you are using a ratchet. Even the best 12 point won't match a 6 point on previously mistreated nuts and bolts, well rusted ones, and cheap soft ones. I can choose my tools, but not the fasteners on everything I may have to work on.

And another thing. What are people doing with all the SAE tools being sold? I think most stores still stock more of them than metric. In the meantime, fewer and fewer cars and trucks have any SAE fittings.

I use my metric stuff 90% of the time even working on my '88 Chevy K2500... the only reason I even own SAE sizes is because I use them at work. the construction industry hasn't moved over to metric yet..

-Bret

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
So what is the advantage of 12 point sockets?

I think it's so that you don't have to twist the ratchet as much to get the socket over the bolt.

Can sometimes come in handy in limited clearance situations, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies, thats some very helpful information. Since my current tool set is missing some stuff I might as well buy a new set. If I buy the stuff separately, it will cost more. The old set will have to retire. So I'll get something midrange priced tool sets that is of better quality of course. Although the cars in the household are non-domestic brand(VW and Toyota), the SAE will come in handy. The tool set will be for multi purpose use: automotive, household and other stuff. Too bad theres no Walmart around here in the bay area.

[ October 16, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: lpcmidst128 ]

quote:

Thanks for all the replies, thats some very helpful information. Since my current tool set is missing some stuff I might as well buy a new set. If I buy the stuff separately, it will cost more. The old set will have to retire. So I'll get something midrange priced tool sets that is of better quality of course. Although the cars in the household are non-domestic brand(VW and Toyota), the SAE will come in handy. The tool set will be for multi purpose use: automotive, household and other stuff. Too bad theres no Walmart around here in the bay area.

you can go wrong with craftsman hand tools. moderatly priced, high quality, easy to find stores and easy to replace.

quote:

Originally posted by lpcmidst128:
Too bad theres no Walmart around here in the bay area.

There are several. Check their website.

IIRC, the is one in San Leandro, there is definitely one in Milpitas.

I'll go out on a limb here

*cue T.V. shopping*

My parents bought me a "Metrinch" set a few years back (They also bought me a set of Sidchromes for my 18th).

I was very sceptical of them, but have found them to be very very good. Particularly on second hand cars where the corners are burred/rounded.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
snip.... Particularly on second hand cars where the corners are burred/rounded.

Maybe this explains what people are doing with the SAE tools the stores are selling. The desirability of metric fasteners is debatable. Their prevalence is not. That it was metric, is no excuse for rounding a bolt head.

I am not familiar with Metrinch tools, but i hope the sockets are 6 point.

BTW, I've found SAE fasteners on my wife's Honda Civic. You DO need both and probably will for quite a while to come. If you have American cars, you DEFINITELY need both. Also, try to get a complete set, including unusual sizes, like 18 mm. Many wrench sets don't include this size, but you will run into it every now and then.

As far as the number of points, for sockets, 6 pt. is definitely the way to go. AFAIC, There's no reason to get 12 point sockets over 6, as the socket wrench itself will allow you to work in tight places. With regular wrenches, 12 point wrenches will allow you to wrench in tight places where you don't have much room to move, and there have definitely been times where I've needed that, but I don't see the point of 12 point sockets. Those just make it easier to round off nuts and bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back