Which Fuel Filter for 8.3C Cummins.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hsould have titled this post 'Which Brand of Fuel Filter....' Oil filters have been studied extensively here, but has there been any sort of fuel filter study? Or one that is regarded better than others? Maybe a top 3 in order best first.

I bought $65.00 worth of Fleetgaurd Filters today for the Cummins, but the primary filter would not cross to a Fleetgaurd. So I am stuck trying to choose another brand. The filter on there now is a Napa Gold 3411.

Jason

[ July 02, 2004, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: cumminspuller ]

Which fuel filter are you talking about? Both my 8.3's have one fuel filter, a 33358,or FS5052, which is on the drivers side, back of the engine. Is the 3411 a water seperator, and mounted on the frame somewhere? What is the application/vehicle mfg? Sounds like a freighliner water seperator!

[ July 02, 2004, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: dri ]

dri,

The truck is an FL-50. It has a fuel filter where you mention on the drivers side back by the firewall. But there is another one mounted on the outside of the frame rail about two feet in front of the fuel filter. Took it to the local International dealer where I get all my fleetguard filters from and they said it looked like it was added after the fact. Hope this helps. Now that I think about it, it must be a fuel/water seperator. It has a plug that hooks to it. That must be it. So any recommendations would be good.

Jason

[ July 03, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: cumminspuller ]

having a '89 F-250 7.3L, I went through the ordeal of cross referencing fuel filters a while ago, and looked at all the different brands and trying to figure which was best. As far as I could tell, theres only a handful of brand name filters for light diesel trucks- baldwin, fleetguard, hastings, and napa. Napa seemed to be the easiest to get, and most economical, and I'm sure it's a relabled filter of one of the afore mentioned. There's also Racor filters, mostly sold at marine stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back