Any tips for shipping oil sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I just changed my oil in my Mustang last night and want to send a sample to Blackstone for the Blackstone/Dyson analysis. I sent away for the kits and have them ready to go. I just wanted to know if there were any tips you could offer on sealing it up. I put the clear container cap on fairly tight. Should I tape up the outer container or anything? Or is tight good enough?

It may be overkill, but I always use a little Scotch tape "just in case". I live in a very small town, & always hand it over the counter to one of our local postal employees, telling them exactly what it is. I've never just dropped a sample into a mail slot or box, & so far all my samples have arrived at the lab safely. One just mailed today(LubroMoly 0w40, w/LC, 9900 miles); knock on wood!
wink.gif

01GTB, Tight is good enough. I suggest adding a return address sticker on the top of the screw- on cap. That way they can trace back to you if any issues arise.

Place the kit in the mail box at home or take to the post office and hand to a clerk.

The mail is generally the delay in getting the data back to you so if you are in a big hurry using express mail is useful.

On our in house kits we use a similar mailer ( postage paid (1 st class) and I ship many from the box here with no losses.

Do not drop in a mail box as many clerks since 9/11 and the anthrax issues are scared of anything that looks odd like a liquid mailer.

Thanks for your business,

Terry

I believe Blackstone has a page on their site which you can copy for the postal clerk. It explans that oil is not a hazmat ect. It might make a uneasy clerk feel better about taking it. If they are not sure I think they will sent it surface or dog sled, something like that; figure a couple of weeks to go across country that way.

I usally give the Blackstone caps a wrap of electrical tape, looks very offical.

Oh yea, the bottle goes into the plastic bag not the paper in the plastic bag.
rolleyes.gif

[ May 20, 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

quote:

Originally posted by White 03:

Oh yea, the bottle goes into the plastic bag not the paper in the plastic bag.
rolleyes.gif

Ha
grin.gif
Thanks for the headsup! I appreciate the info guys
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back