i got a new shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i live in a small town full of druggies and losers, which works out well for me, because some of them have some cool stuff!
im not too much of a gun guy, but im hoping to change that!
Anyways, a guy i know comes over to see if i want ot buy a new remington 870 express 12g for 350 bucks. I said no way, for that amount, and i offered him 100bucks.
Well, he got it and a box of shells for christmas, and he shot maybe 10 shells through it! i went out and did some shooting today, and now i want to clean it.
So what do i use to clean it? i know this is kinda off this sites subject, but i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!!

I guess we should hope the thing is not stolen, but anyway if you are just looking for an oil/cleaner you might try Break Free CLP. If you want more confusion just read down this forum. Everyone has a favorite and it has been discussed many times. Shot guns are not hard to clean and the barrels don't get copper fouled so solvents are not strictly needed. Of course Hoppe's is the standard for solvent. But Break Free will do the job also and is a good lub and will protect from rust. WD 40 dosen't have a good reputation around gun people but it probably has been used on uncountable guns; it will gum up after a while and there are better things for rust protection.

If you don't have a rod then you might try a cheap compleat shot gun cleaning kit sold where guns are sold. It will have some cleaner and oil included. For tonight just wipe it down with any sort of oil and keep it dry.

Many 870's have never been taken down and cleaned and dissambly is not necessary every time but the 870 is not difficult and a punch or nail is about the only thing special you need. Just don't try to dissamble the trigger assembly. You need to take the assembly out but don't take that apart.

You need some instructions or someone to show you how to take down the 870. The library would probably have take down instruction, Gun Digest has a set of books covering most guns. Or if you have a trap range anywhere near just stop by and someone will be glad to show you how to dissamble it. I would bet 9 out of 10 shooters there still have a 870 around some where. You might even try a round or two; but be careful it is strongly habit forming and don't even start on Sporting Clays, it is just to dangerous.
wink.gif

[ February 12, 2006, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

I love Break Free CLP, just think it is much better at the L and P than the C. For shotguns I ussually use a solvent cleaner for lead and platic fouling, then use the break free for final. Shooters Choice, or a couple of others work fine for this, Hoppes even makes one for lead and plastic that is a little thicker and brown compared to the No. 9.
Shotguns are a breeze to clean so no reason not to do it after every shoot. Also it is always recommended to clean a new weapon before the first shoot as well.

Thanks, guys, and i know its not stolen, his moms a friend of mone, and i remember how excited she was when she got it for him. I saw it brand new when he got it. It kinda sucked he sld it, but better me then some other druggie friend of his, then it sticks up a 7-11, and then gets destroyed by the cops after they catch him....

Thanks for the help guys! im gonna go to outdoor world tonight and get me cheap shotgun cleaner kit.

One more thing, hopefully you got the choke tube removal tool with the gun, but if not they sell them also. Take the tube out and oil it up before putting it back in. If it won't come out easily you might check out the penetrating oil section here.

there's 3 things you need- an all purpose cleaner that you can use on any part safely, which will remove powder and light fouling. I use either remington action cleaner (I think it's called) or gun scrubber. Very similar to carb&choke cleaner or brakeclean but not as harsh. It's inexpensive and cleans any oil or grease of parts well.
#2 is a bore barrel cleaner. Some are much better than others. I've been using hoppes something or other. I had some tetraclean I think it was called, a while back, very nasty stuff but most effective I've ever seen in removing fouling inside the barrel. You must use gloves with this stuff and have plenty of fresh air. #3 is oil for protecting, cleaning, lubing the gun metal and moving parts. I like remington oil w/teflon in the spray can for wiping all metal parts, it cleans and leaves a nice non-oily shine. You can use it as a lube for actions and for protecting the inside of the barrel but all i use it for is cleaning and protecting metal. I typically use a heavier oil (gun oil) or rifle grease for lubing slide actions. Have an 8oz militec that seems like it'll last forever that i've been using to wipe the bore with and lube moving parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back