How do you lube your revolvers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

Well, are you talking about a single action or a double? Or do you have one of those semi-automatic- cop-killer-bullet-shootin' revolvers that the media tells us about?
grin.gif

For a single action I'd say you are overcleaning the gun and exposing yourself to some nasty and expensive chemicals. Action blasters are as bad as brake cleaners from what I've read.

On my SA Rugers I remove the cylinder from the frame and scrub the window with an old toothbrush and some Shooters Choice. The cylinder gets the same treatment on the outside. The barrel and chambers get swabbed out and scrubbed.

I then wipe the gun down and let it dry. After a short while I apply some grease (Lubriplate 130-A, developed for the M1 Garand & M-14) to both ends of the cylinder and I make sure a little gets on the base pin. We are talking small quantities here!

Since I don't own a revolver smaller than .41 magnum I like the cushioning effect grease has on the cylinder frame interfaces.

If you don't overclean the trigger/action by blasting action cleaner into it they stay lubed and reliable for quite a while. I removed my grips/stocks from a custom Stainless Bisley .45 Colt before taking it to Alaska, thinking it should be cleaned and relubed. All the 130-A was right where I wanted it and it looked like new so I left it alone. I had been shooting this gun extensively with some real sledgehammer loads for practice for over a month. At least 400 rounds, 340 gr. LBT flatnose bullets at near 1200 fps. Ouch!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Yep, you're overcleaning your revolvers. You don't need to blast the action clean after every range session. The actions will stay clean for quite a long time. EeZox is a great rust preventer, though for a lube I think that FP10 or TW-25 will do a better job.

In addition to some semi-autos, have a couple of revolvers that I enjoy shooting. I can clean the pistols thoroughly enough because I field strip them and go over every piece in detail, but what about revolvers?

After every shooting session, I'll blast the action out with BC Gunscrubber through the hammer, trigger, hand and bolt openings and then clean the rest of the gun with solvent. After drying the whole gun with a final blast of Gunscrubber, I use a plastic transfer pipet (eyedropper) and drop/squirt EEZOX into the action through the same openings, down the inside of the sideplate, down the safety connector (transfer bar), extractor, etc. I then cycle the action by "dry firing" to spread the lube but ease the hammer down gently with my thumb. Is that comprehensive or what?!
wink.gif

Is that sufficient (or too much!) lubrication for a revolver? Any tips that you guys have to lubricate the action better or easier without removing the grips (and therefore buggering up the grip screw(s)) and cleaning/spraying up through the mainspring opening? What do you guys do? TIA for any and all replies!!

Thanks for the replies!

GSV,

These are all DA revolvers, Colts of course!
wink.gif
:
.22LR Trooper Mk. III
.357 Mag Peacekeeper
.44 Mag Anaconda
and coming soon, a .357 Mag Python.

I forgot to mention I also put a little grease on the base pin and hand contact points of the "star" so as to provide some cushion on these high load areas.

Like you and 416Rigby mention, I'm overdoing it but I've always been concerned that there would be powder residue in the lockwork so I blast it with solvent and then drip some Eezox in so that it isn't left dry and the bearing/contact points inside are properly lubed. Aren't you concerned that you might get corrosion in the lockwork?

I guess I'm anal like this with my car too, that's why I'm on this board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back